Number of discrete vs. passage based questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Each section will contain discrete and passage based questions. Is the breakdown of the number of each question type available? If not, is there an estimate based on previous test takers experience?

Members don't see this ad.

You will have roughly 8-10 discrete questions on every section excluding CARS of course. I think the number is 8, but not 100%

Each section will contain discrete and passage based questions. Is the breakdown of the number of each question type available? If not, is there an estimate based on previous test takers experience?

I think there are 14 discrete questions in each section (except for CARS).

You can check out the breakdown of each section HERE
on the AAMC site.

But, FYI:

Science sections (Chem/Phys, Bio/Biochem, Psych/Soc): 10 passages (44 Qs), 15 Discrete Qs, 95 minutes
CARS: 9 passages (53 Qs), 0 Discrete Qs, 90 minutes

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses and the link! I saw that each section had 59 questions but for some reason I wasn't able to find the breakdown for the number of passage based questions vs. discrete questions.

It looks like I should focus my studies on passage based questions!

Thanks for the responses and the link! I saw that each section had 59 questions but for some reason I wasn't able to find the breakdown for the number of passage based questions vs. discrete questions.

That's because they don't put it in writing, which could be taken as an indication that it may not be a consistent thing yet. If you really want to know, I'd recommend you call AAMC directly. They are very good about sharing candid and helpful information over the phone.