Number of FM interviews offered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have anyone heard the average numbers of interviews offered by FM programs?
How many interviews are you guys planning on attending out there? I saw on a thread that most people seemed to have over 30 invitations...I don't see how you can even do anything more than 20...as fun as it is, its pretty exhausting (and costly!)
I've already interviewed at or will interview at my top choice programs, so I'm not sure what to make my "cut off point" for doing more interviews...

Members don't see this ad.

I always hear ten being used as the amount of interviews per position, on average, so a program with ten spots will interview 100, a program with six slots will interview sixty, etc.

People actually go on 20 interviews? Gotta wonder when such gluttony reaches the point where it keeps folks who are actually interested in a program from landing invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm attending 11 interviews, mainly because I got invited to a few cities with two programs so decided to check them both out. There are only 4 or 5 of the interviews I'm genuinely excited about attending though. Still, I've been advised to have 10 interviews as a DO applicant, so that's what I shot for.

I feel bad about at least one of them though, I was less excited about it to begin with, and the interview made me even less excited. I'm sure there are people who'd like to interview there too.

All told I've received about 16 interview invites out of somewhere around 25 apps. Some programs I'm on hold for, and others I've not heard anything. I did get an invite even today though so perhaps there's still hope. One or two of the programs, I'd accept an invite in a heartbeat, even now that I'm at the end of my interview season.

Never count your chickens until they hatch, right? My friend matched a bit lower than he expected out of his ten interviews, so you better believe it's worth the extra 4 grand to secure the next 3 years. Anyway, the short answer is to go on at least ten interviews, from everything I've heard.