Number of graduate credits before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peddy14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just have a quick question. I am currently in the first year of a 2 year post-bacc Master's program at NYMC and am planning on applying this June. I am considering taking 11 credits this semester and took 8 credits last semester for a total of 19 credits. (they will not allow me to take any more this semester) I am in this program because my undergraduate GPA is not competitive for medical schools, but my graduate level GPA is competitive.

My question is: is there a certain number of credits that Medical Schools like to see at the grad level in order for them to focus less on the undergraduate grades? I spoke to the dean at Wayne State and he said after 20 credits they will only look at the graduate level GPA. So my dilemma is to apply with the 19 credits I have in May, or take another class and apply in July with more than 20 credits? or if 20 credits is fixed requirement, only take 8 credits (the normal for my program) this semester, and then take 4 more in the spring and apply in July.

Do other med schools have a certain number of credits they look for? Do you guys think its worth the disadvantage of applying later for having more than 20 credits at a much higher GPA?

Any suggestions or ideas will be helpful. Thanks so much for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

This totally doesn't matter. You will list future coursework on your AMCAS app, so the other credits you want to show are lined up, and schools will expect you to report on how you've done. Having more good grades in July is still way freaking early.

You can't hide your undergrad GPA, regardless, but a high grad GPA is a high grad GPA. 19 vs. 20+ credits is not worth worrying about for that topline GPA breakdown.

Definitely do your homework: few schools are going to have Wayne State's policy. Find out where NYMC's SMP grads are getting in, and watch out for undergrad GPA autoscreens. Study that MSAR!

Best of luck to you.

Hey Guys,

I just have a quick question. I am currently in the first year of a 2 year post-bacc Master's program at NYMC and am planning on applying this June. I am considering taking 11 credits this semester and took 8 credits last semester for a total of 19 credits. (they will not allow me to take any more this semester) I am in this program because my undergraduate GPA is not competitive for medical schools, but my graduate level GPA is competitive.

My question is: is there a certain number of credits that Medical Schools like to see at the grad level in order for them to focus less on the undergraduate grades? I spoke to the dean at Wayne State and he said after 20 credits they will only look at the graduate level GPA. So my dilemma is to apply with the 19 credits I have in May, or take another class and apply in July with more than 20 credits? or if 20 credits is fixed requirement, only take 8 credits (the normal for my program) this semester, and then take 4 more in the spring and apply in July.

Do other med schools have a certain number of credits they look for? Do you guys think its worth the disadvantage of applying later for having more than 20 credits at a much higher GPA?

Any suggestions or ideas will be helpful. Thanks so much for your help!!

It is going to be rather school specific. I know the UC's want to see one full year of graduate course work. I think in general if you want to be safe, one full year as a full time student is what most schools want to see.

Some schools are willing to go by one semester if you are in a well known SMP, but even that is pushing it. So if that 19 is for one full year of course work, go for it!!