Number of people invited to interview by programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BS81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people get interview invites and end up cancelling later on?
According to the program directors survey they receive 1908 applications and interview 172. But it also says 36% get interview offers? That's about 680 interview offers and only 172 interview? Something seems wrong here. If a program director wants to end up interviewing 100 applicants how many would he have to invite? (aPD input would be nice)

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

I just looked at that document for the first time. I find it very hard to believe that PDs give greater weight to personal statements than to grades in required clerkships when deciding on who to offer interviews to. I'd be willing to bet that PDs rarely even entirely read the personal statements of applicants they aren't already strongly considering interviewing based on USMLE 1 and grades in required clerkships. I mean almost 2000 applications = almost 2000 personal statements to read. Yeah, right.

I just looked at that document for the first time. I find it very hard to believe that PDs give greater weight to personal statements than to grades in required clerkships when deciding on who to offer interviews to. I'd be willing to bet that PDs rarely even entirely read the personal statements of applicants they aren't already strongly considering interviewing based on USMLE 1 and grades in required clerkships. I mean almost 2000 applications = almost 2000 personal statements to read. Yeah, right.

I used to be involved in recruitment to professional training jobs where we got more than 2000 (top UG degrees and post-grad education) applicants for fewer than 100 jobs. It took a team of us, as it will for a program, but of course we read all the personal statements.

When you have so many qualified applicants all of whose numbers stack up, you can narrow them down either by making incredibly fine (to the point of complete irrelevance) distinctions based on the numbers, or you can look to the experiences and personal statements to see who has that extra something which will fit with your program and bring something extra to it.

Alright. I stand corrected.

I used to be involved in recruitment to professional training jobs where we got more than 2000 (top UG degrees and post-grad education) applicants for fewer than 100 jobs. It took a team of us, as it will for a program, but of course we read all the personal statements.

When you have so many qualified applicants all of whose numbers stack up, you can narrow them down either by making incredibly fine (to the point of complete irrelevance) distinctions based on the numbers, or you can look to the experiences and personal statements to see who has that extra something which will fit with your program and bring something extra to it.