Number of programs applied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tazmaniac

2 min. from a nice nap
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for Pediatrics and picked 13 programs. Just wanted to know how below or above average this number was. I've talked to some ortho-bound friends who are going for 30s and 50s in their number of applied programs.

Members don't see this ad.

For derm, one of my classmates told me that the norm was around 100 (ie every derm program out there :eek: ). Plus they have to apply to a lot of prelim programs too if they want to be in the same area for prelim. Anyways, for internal medicine, US medical graduates usually apply to ~15 programs. If your a good student and you didn't only apply to top programs (eg Harvard, hopkins, etc), then I think that you will be fine. You should apply to 3-4 middle schools (schools around your level) plus 3-4 safety schools, then the rest can be reach schools (schools above your level of competititivity).

and I chose 15 programs to apply to.......not the most competitive field, so I'm told, although some of the programs I've applied to are rather competitive.

I think I went a little overboard... 26 radiology programs, and 7 prelims. I'll stay in Baltimore for my internship, so I'll only have to travel to the rads interviews.

Good luck all -
doepug

PS - Tazmaniac - how was Alaska?