Number of programs? Couples matching EM+EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMCandidate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My other half and I are both applying to EM this year and we're having trouble deciding how many programs to apply to. Wondering if anyone has and advice to contribute.

Both of us have senior AOA, step 1 >235, step 2 >260, lots of extracurriculars at an average medical school. Honors for majority of clerkships. One has lots of publications (not in EM) from a prior research career. The other has some EM and other non-EM research (no journal article publications, just conferences), but worked EMS prior to med school. We are both personable and have good interview skills. EM rotations are ongoing, so no grades yet, but they seem to be going very well.

Most of the programs we are looking at are in the west, but we are also looking around the country. Ideally we'll find exceptional training, outdoor access, and affordable cost of living.

We're aware of the NRMP match data, but looking for advice on applying that to a couples match in an increasingly competitive specialty.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

My other half and I are both applying to EM this year and we're having trouble deciding how many programs to apply to. Wondering if anyone has and advice to contribute.

Both of us have senior AOA, step 1 >235, step 2 >260, lots of extracurriculars at an average medical school. Honors for majority of clerkships. One has lots of publications (not in EM) from a prior research career. The other has some EM and other non-EM research (no journal article publications, just conferences), but worked EMS prior to med school. We are both personable and have good interview skills. EM rotations are ongoing, so no grades yet, but they seem to be going very well.

Most of the programs we are looking at are in the west, but we are also looking around the country. Ideally we'll find exceptional training, outdoor access, and affordable cost of living.

We're aware of the NRMP match data, but looking for advice on applying that to a couples match in an increasingly competitive specialty.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

My wife and I also couples matched, although she's not EM too. We applied to 48, got about 35 interviews at the same programs, went on 15, matched #1. Your applications sound competitive so you may be able to apply to less.

My advice for students is to not try and save money on the initial application fees if you're unsure about how many programs to apply to. There is no magic number. An extra couple hundred dollars may seen like a lot now, but it's better to apply wide and then be very selective in the interviews you actually accept. If you don't apply to enough programs and for some reason don't get interviews where it's easy to travel, you may spend $$$ flying into some little airport to get those extra interviews to make you feel more secure come ROL due day... make sense?

EM is becoming more competitive, especially in areas with nice weather (west coast) and among the programs with good reputations (there are many).

Bottom line... you only want to do this once, and since you are couples matching into the same competitive field, I'd consider applying pretty wide. Best of luck.

My wife and I also couples matched, although she's not EM too. We applied to 48, got about 35 interviews at the same programs, went on 15, matched #1. Your applications sound competitive so you may be able to apply to less.

My advice for students is to not try and save money on the initial application fees if you're unsure about how many programs to apply to. There is no magic number. An extra couple hundred dollars may seen like a lot now, but it's better to apply wide and then be very selective in the interviews you actually accept. If you don't apply to enough programs and for some reason don't get interviews where it's easy to travel, you may spend $$$ flying into some little airport to get those extra interviews to make you feel more secure come ROL due day... make sense?

EM is becoming more competitive, especially in areas with nice weather (west coast) and among the programs with good reputations (there are many).

Bottom line... you only want to do this once, and since you are couples matching into the same competitive field, I'd consider applying pretty wide. Best of luck.

Thanks! Much appreciated advice, and just in time for the ERAS application submission. We'll be applying to ~50, which will hopefully serve us well come interview season.
Thanks again!