number of programs to apply for Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wires

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying for Ortho and would like to know on average how many programs do you apply to and the number of programs you hope to get interviewed to have a decent chance of landing a spot. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there are any hard, fast rules about it. However, I think that alot of applicants end up applying to about 20 programs (which I think is way too many, the same number of applicants would get in if we all applied to 3 programs). Anyway, I THINK that if you get 5 or 6 interviews you would be in GREAT shape.

I am in the process of applying for Ortho and would like to know on average how many programs do you apply to and the number of programs you hope to get interviewed to have a decent chance of landing a spot. Thanks.

Depends on your situation.... apply with the hopes of getting around 4-7 interviews. Most people who apply and receive 5 interviews end up matching. If your stats are very good, apply to programs that interest you and are what you are looking for in a program. If your stats are less than very good, apply to as many programs as you can knowing that you can't afford to be picking and choosing.

I applied to 11 schools and received 5 interviews and matched not too many years ago. :)

Thanks a lot for the responses, much appreciated