Number of programs to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbaitwhohaha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year DO student applying this year for neurology. I wanted to get some guidance on how many programs DO students typically apply to. Couldn't find any recent information about this in the forms. Mainly concerned because i'm a DO student, and most information I see refers to MD students applying. Only applying to MD programs.

For reference:
step 1 >240
step 2 >240
top of class
very small amount of research
most likely have strong letters

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
With those stats and being an AMG? Certainely anything over 10 would be silly. Maybe even over 5 unless ur shooting only for the top neuro programs or are socially weird.

I'm currently asking myself the same question. I think cerebral edema is right! I keep hearing the number 10, but for me the situation is more complicated. I'm couples matching (he is doing IM) and we are both 210-215 on Step 1. So I'm aiming for ~30, is that ridiculous or reasonable?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably more for you than the OP. I am in a similar situation: AMG, similar step 1, >240 on step 2, strong letters. I am applying to over 80 programs.

80 programs is a bit much even with that step 1. I would pick 40-50 max. You will definitely match somewhere respectable with those numbers. It gets very expensive each additional 10 that you select, otherwise there would be no downside to applying to 80.

I heard from current neuro PGY-1 (DO) who got 246? on step 1 and 245? on step 2 applied to only about ~24 programs. The person got into the 2nd choice.
On the other hand, I have talked to a person here (SDN) where he applied to 50 programs (just neuro, higher number including prelim), but that person said 30 should be fine.

So my n=2, range is 24-50 programs. my guess would be between 25-30.

I was aiming for 30...somehow got down to 24..

I get the sense that what matters the most is which program you are applying to rather than how many.
As long as I include 4-5 program that accepts DOs and much less competitive, like VCU, etc, I should be fine i believe.

I would err on applying to more than less.

The cost of applying is relatively low compared to risk of not matching.

I have a feeling it is going to be a more competitive year than in past.

My school (top 20) for example has a larger neurology application pool than normal and some of the students fall into the aoa and md, phd group.