number of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rango

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN peeps

My situation is I have low GPA of 3.3 for both overall and science, avg DAT AA 19 TS 20
I am working on my application and from what I have seen on SDN, from other threads, stats like mine should apply broadly,

My prehealth advisor said 8 schools is a good number, but I WANT TO APPLY TO 18, just to be on the safe side

prehealth advisor said she knows someone during his interview that was asked how many schools he was applying to, he said 18(!) and the interviewer ended the interview right there and then, reason given was that interviewer thought he was clogging the system.
have you guys heard of anything like this?

WHAT to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear SDN peeps

My situation is I have low GPA of 3.3 for both overall and science, avg DAT AA 19 TS 20
I am working on my application and from what I have seen on SDN, from other threads, stats like mine should apply broadly,

My prehealth advisor said 8 schools is a good number, but I WANT TO APPLY TO 18, just to be on the safe side

prehealth advisor said she knows someone during his interview that was asked how many schools he was applying to, he said 18(!) and the interviewer ended the interview right there and then, reason given was that interviewer thought he was clogging the system.
have you guys heard of anything like this?

WHAT to do?

With your stats, you would definitely want to apply to more than 8, although it also depends on what schools comprise your list. A list of 8 OOS and ivy schools is different than a list made of schools like nyu, boston, tufts, etc. If I was in your situation, I think I would either apply to a lot of schools or try and do something to improve my application (dat retake, or if time permits, grad classes).

I have never heard of something like your advisor's anecdote. But if they're suggesting that you only apply to 8 schools, I wouldn't be trusting much of what they say. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks squigloo
I am for sure applying this cycle and hopefully get in somewhere w my stats. i dont plan on retaking the DAT, unless i get rejected from all schools im applying to....

I'm in good old north carolina so I'm applying to UNC, ECU and OOS private schools with DAT and GPA close to mine.including LECOM, case, roseman, turfs, western, boston, nyc, usc, etc, (most of these schools have slightly higher stats than mine)

I am working on UNC Supplemental Application and one of the question is how many schools are you applying to and what are they, so i was curious to see if this is a question i should watch out for.