Number of state licenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustang sally

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just out of curiosity. How many state licenses does everyone have?

Right now I have three, thinking about getting a fourth so I can try to move but I've been debating the feasibility of this.

I blame my multiple licenses on living near a border area and my own personal indecision.

Members don't see this ad.

Only 1, and I don't even have a license in the state where I work (though I'm thinking about getting it if jobs back east keep rejecting me). I suppose that's one of the good things about working federal.

I have 2. One from my current state and one from the state where I did my residency. Multiple licenses can be annoying to maintain, especially if the CE requirements are different. Keep what you need and your original state of licensure. Once you are more settled it will be easier to figure out which ones to let lapse.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
three - my original, my current, and one where I thought I was going to move. Now I might do a remote entry job on the side where I use all three

I suppose.

Does the company pay for you to get and maintain your licenses then?

One california state license. Been super lazy about studying and getting my MA one

Does your company also pay you extra as compared to pharmacists who didn't take the exam? Is there any liability on your end?

Most mail order pharmacies will cover the cost of licensing in multiple states for their pharmacists because they need back-ups for the PIC. It does not automatically lead to a higher salary. It is really up to the individual to use it to their advantage to obtain promotions or higher salary. Some pharmacists do and some don't.

Reactions: 1 users
Three. And yes, I'm keeping them whether I ever practice again or not.

10+ licenses all paid for by work? Sounds nice, you could up and leave at any given moment for a job in one of those states and start immediately.

Not a bad way to wait for a dream job to open up somewhere.