NUMC Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wadigga33

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have searched throughout SDN but have been unable to find any information on the Prelim Medicine year at Nassau University Medical Center. if anyone has any information that they can share about hours, quality of experience as an intern, etc. it would be greatly appreciated. you can PM if you would like. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

NUMC is Nassau University Medical Center for Prelim Medicine..How are the hours, teaching, overall quality, etc. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to try scutwork.com to look for info about the NUMC prelim year.

NUMC is a busy county hospital for the underserved- a prelim year likely won't be easy there.

Pre-lim year, or Osteopathic rotating internship? The ORI is probably the EASIEST internship in NY, considering you get half of your year as electives, and I think you do like 1 surgery month, 2 medicine, and I think 1 MICU or CCU depending on scheduling. Many people from my school go there if they need a prelim year before a program that starts PGY-2 specifically because it is very cush.

Thanks drawing dead. I am doing the regular medicine prelim year. So you are saying it is not as cush as the Osteo intern but not a killer? thanks for your input, if you would like you can PM me. thanks

Pre-lim year, or Osteopathic rotating internship? The ORI is probably the EASIEST internship in NY, considering you get half of your year as electives, and I think you do like 1 surgery month, 2 medicine, and I think 1 MICU or CCU depending on scheduling. Many people from my school go there if they need a prelim year before a program that starts PGY-2 specifically because it is very cush.

Considering the existence of osteopathic rotating internships at North Shore Hospital in Plainview and Long Beach Hospital, I'd think that calling a NUMC rotating internship the easiest on LI might be a bit farfetched, no matter how much elective time you get there. However, since I did not do a rotating internship I'll withhold further comment.

Well, I don't know if the medicine prelim year is easy or not, I only know about the Osteopathic year.

Good point about it not being the easiest in LI. I have rotated at all 3 places, and let's just say, you're not gonna kill yourself at any one of them. They all have their reasons for being cush places though.

NUMC can be a killer. I hear some of the Medicine/ICU rotations as an Intern there are brutal -- 14+ 6 days a week at the minimum.

My friend said his electives were nice though -- which is something.

Not the greatest, not the worst -- thats for sure.

im a fmg but us citizen ive applied to IM at NUMC step 1 85 on second attempt step 2 ck 80 first attempt step 2 cs passed first attempt i have us clinical work experience i have emailed program director at numc several times. still no answer regarding interview. do i have a chance?