NUPTHMS Open House

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deRBy2k13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanted to know if anyone else is going to Northwestern's Open House from January 15-16th. Is so, see you there!

Members don't see this ad.

I shall be there! I wrote NU a check today (it wasn't my first, and it won't be my last) for my parking sticker! haha. It's going out in the mail tomorrow.

Are you going to both of the mock classroom activities/observations on Friday (the morning and afternoon ones)? I didn't know if they were going to be the same thing in the morning and afternoon, or if it'd be worthwhile going to both. I called and spoke to the admissions people and they said it's fine to go to both and they will be different.

Now to find someone's couch to bum on for that night. I live an hour and a half away and don't particularly want to make the drive two days in a row. haha.

I shall be there! I wrote NU a check today (it wasn't my first, and it won't be my last) for my parking sticker! haha. It's going out in the mail tomorrow.

Are you going to both of the mock classroom activities/observations on Friday (the morning and afternoon ones)? I didn't know if they were going to be the same thing in the morning and afternoon, or if it'd be worthwhile going to both. I called and spoke to the admissions people and they said it's fine to go to both and they will be different.

Now to find someone's couch to bum on for that night. I live an hour and a half away and don't particularly want to make the drive two days in a row. haha.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go to both sessions. I might as well. I live in Ohio and am basically making a short Chicago vacation out of the trip with my sister. She'll be shopping up and down Michigan Ave, of course :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think I'm going to go to both sessions. I might as well. I live in Ohio and am basically making a short Chicago vacation out of the trip with my sister. She'll be shopping up and down Michigan Ave, of course :)

haha that's a wise decision on her part :) It's definitely convenient! That'll be my biggest problem....the PT school is located pretty much directly above the Apple Store on Michigan Ave. I should probably cancel my credit cards prior to coming to school. haha.

I'm going....not sure which activities to attend....also wonder about the two classes - why "mock classes"? Do you know if we have a chance to sit in on an actual class?

I think so....They said they're expecting a high number of attendees so while one group is observing a class the other will be doing mock class activities, and then vice versa.

I'll be attending! This will be the 3rd time visiting the school, and I'm strongly leaning towards going there (although UIC would be tempting because of the lower cost).

Usually, students would attend either a first or second year's class (or both if they wanted to). But because of the new curriculum, the first years will still be on break, while the second years will have started the winter trimester already. So to make up for the missing first year class, they're making it a "mock" class.

Alright, maybe I'm overthinking this....but what are you all planning to wear/what did people wear last year? Is this a formal-type situation do you think, like an interview where most people are in suits? I sure hope not.....I'm soooo not that type.

Good question...I was planning on wearing nice jeans and a track jacket - pretty much what I always wear. That's what I wore when I met with the admissions person for an info session earlier in the spring....

Akiramay what are your thoughts?

Yah, it's pretty informal. I believe most people wore jeans and a nice top (not a t-shirt, but not a fancy top either). It's really just whatever you're comfortable wearing. You also want to have comfortable shoes if you're going to take the campus tour.

Yay! who else is pumped for tomorrow?

Akiramay, initially they said there may be some after open house activities organized by current students for us (like a bar night or something)....do you know if this is happening?

We should have a SDN meetup afterward if nothing else, just to put a face/name with the username on here since we may end up as classmates next year. Maybe at the Starbucks on campus or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah, from 4-6 they're having a happy hour at the bar nearby school called Timmy O'Tooles. I think they're going to have free beer and food for everyone! Unfortunately I'm going to a concert in Peoria so I can't make it. :(

So who attended the open house and if you did, what did you think!?

I did. I'm sold. I even bought an NUPT hoodie today :)

Which lunch tables were you at/what room were you in/what class did you go to? I'm wondering if we ever crossed paths. haha.

What did you think?

Which lunch tables were you at/what room were you in/what class did you go to? I'm wondering if we ever crossed paths. haha.

What did you think?

I was there!! I really liked the program. The current students were really helpful and honest during the panel. My first class was in 710 (values and pain), lunch at Table 2, then MS class.

I'm still torn though. Although they made it apparent that more than enough loans are available to each student, I don't know if I can justify paying sooo much more than my state school for a DPT.

What did you think?
Nice! I'm glad you liked it and that you're choosing Northwestern! ^_^ The open house is what sold me too.

I was there!! I really liked the program. The current students were really helpful and honest during the panel. My first class was in 710 (values and pain), lunch at Table 2, then MS class.

I'm still torn though. Although they made it apparent that more than enough loans are available to each student, I don't know if I can justify paying sooo much more than my state school for a DPT.

I was in those too! Except I was at table 7 or 5 I think. lol. I loved the MS class, and the fact that everything is team taught, and that the professors are so involved in all classes (that blonde girl in the MS class is the anatomy instructor apparently).

Financing is gonna be a huge thing. I'm anxiously awaiting my W2s to come in so I can do my taxes and apply for FAFSA.

I was at Table 2 (with Nora Francis) for Friday lunch also!! I was at table 5 in 715 on Saturday!

I found the open house extremely helpful as well, especially talking with all of the current students and alumni panel. I bought my NUPT t-shirt and some sweats as well and can't wait to start in the fall!! :)

I was at Table 2 (with Nora Francis) for Friday lunch also!! I was at table 5 in 715 on Saturday!

I found the open house extremely helpful as well, especially talking with all of the current students and alumni panel. I bought my NUPT t-shirt and some sweats as well and can't wait to start in the fall!! :)

Well, good luck!! As for me, I've pretty much decided on Ohio State (just heard from them this week). Northwestern has a great program, but OSU is a better fit for me :D

As much as I liked NU, i've decided on UIC.

I'm excited to start there next year!

Congrats to those who chose Northwestern. It was definitely a close #2

Did you go to UIC's open house thing? What sold you on it?

My PT's husband (a UIC prof) is showing my friend who is also waitlisted and me around tomorrow, so I hope by tomorrow night I'll have a definite decision made. I'm trying to make sure I weigh everything equally, but I think I like the structure of NU better (trimesters vs. semesters), even though UIC is more ortho based.