nurse practitioners... equal partners as advertised at cleveland clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

criticalelement

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ACNPs are board certified nationally by the American Nurse Credentialing Center in acute/critical care, and are licensed by the state of Ohio. In the CVICU, ACNPs perform diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, prescribe medications, and treat acute situations that arise. Their scope of practice includes privileging for the performance of invasive procedures such as central line placement, arterial line placement, peripherally inserted central catheters (PICC), thoracentesis and endotracheal intubation. In addition, the department’s ACNP team has an important education mission because of its affiliation with ACNP training programs at major universities in Northeast Ohio, including Case Western Reserve University and Kent State University. Therefore, our ACNPs are active in clinical teaching and sponsor preceptorships for students in these ACNP training programs.

The ACNPs in the Department of Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology work together as equal partners with both their Intensivist colleagues and the surgical staff from the Department of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery. They share the mission of providing world class care to heart surgery patients at Cleveland Clinic, and they take pride in the collective achievement of Cleveland Clinic’s renowned Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute.

For additional information please contact:
Kathleen Ridella, MSN, ACNP
Manager, Acute Care Nurse Practitioners
[email protected]

What a load of horse hockey!!!!
Boycott Cleveland Clinic

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If they're equal partners, I hope they are making as much as the surgeons.
Not so equal after all.
The walls of modern medicine in the USA are slowly being dismantled.

Oregon passed the bill for equal payments for NPs, PAs and MDs a couple of years ago.

There is wording in the ACA that encourages simplified billing and payments as well.

It's only time before income levels become more equal for the similar work. Unfortunately the USA political movement doesn't give a rats about education level. All they feel if the monkey does similar work they should get paid the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Reactions: 5 users
And yet we continue to teach them and make them better able to compete with us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Enough of the vitral hate. They are not referring to equal knowledge they are referring to equal partnership. Their is way too much work in that place to get all territorial. Equal means respected in the practice. Everyone brings their unique talents together for patient care. The work place is second to none.....pgg

Enough of the vitral hate. They are not referring to equal knowledge they are referring to equal partnership. Their is way too much work in that place to get all territorial. Equal means respected in the practice. Everyone brings their unique talents together for patient care. The work place is second to none.....pgg
Oh, come on. You've been brainwashed into believing in this PC pseudo-democratic corporate healthcare workplace, where the doctors are only as important as anybody else. They want to make us into simple "bodies", instead of the independent brains and leaders we were. Nice little brainwashed sheep, four feet good two feet bad, who don't question the new corporate medical world order.

Why the new world order? Because the overlords mostly care about how much money they make on you. And if you are not cheap, they will replace you, but first they will get you to teach your replacements. We saw it when the IT companies offshored their jobs to India back in the 2000's, and they didn't invent it, for sure. It's been the same playbook for a long time . These Wall Street guys have been doing this for decades, and only getting better at it; they are patient people, and they tighten the screw slowly but steadily. They know the power of compound interest; 5% change every year is a 265% change in 20 years. Meaning that if I drop your income by only 5% every year (by not adjusting it to inflation, for example, or by making you work just 5% more every year), in 20 years it won't be worth crap (on an hourly and risk-adjusted basis).

Know your history, and stop spreading this BS and supporting midlevels. Be nice to them in your daily interactions, but don't fool yourself; they are not your friends and they are coming for your job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
THE SKY IS FALLING!
No, it's not. But I am told that good anesthesiologists can recognize trends much earlier than regular people, BEFORE the crap hits the fan.

Anesthesiologists invented the anesthesia care team so they can make much more money. Now the Wall Street suits are perfecting the model and extending it to every little nook they can. It's so easy to squeeze the stupid sheep who have nowhere to run. It's not like it's a free market, and one can just set up shop elsewhere tomorrow.

Why don't cows try to run away from, or revolt against slaughter? Because they have no idea what's going on, until it's too late.

This is not hate, or vitriol, or anger. I am perfectly calm when I am writing this: we should all stop teaching and supporting midlevels, because they are our replacements. Not today, maybe not for a decade or two, but probably sooner than we think. I do know that change will come regardless, but it doesn't mean I have to help them hasten its arrival. We should all better ourselves every day and make ourselves more difficult to replace, and easier to hire elsewhere. We are already about one disruptive technology away from being replaced in most ORs. Think about what the pulse oximeter, propofol and videolaryngoscopy have done to us in the last 25 years, to imagine what the next disrupter could do.

Reactions: 3 users
The new crop of anesthesiologists DESPISE the AANA and are willing to fight. CRNAs are ready to be phased out like old Geo convertibles, in favor of AAs.

If anesthesiology residency increases to 5 years with critical care training becoming mandatory, cross-covering the ICU while on call, and consulting less during the periop period will be a huge asset in the eyes of employers under future payment models.

CRNA vs. MD: the choice is clear

6a00e54ed05fc2883301a3fb24b99d970b-400wi

0-Mercedes-new.jpg

Equal means respected in the practice.
If you seriously believe that was the intent of that statement, you're very sadly mistaken. I guarantee it was written by a nurse.

The new crop of anesthesiologists DESPISE the AANA and are willing to fight. CRNAs are ready to be phased out like old Geo convertibles, in favor of AAs.

You say that, but then you have people like the poster a couple posts above who think that the CRNAs and NPs in the hospital are his "colleagues," and that the meaning of "equal" by advanced practitioner standards is "equally respected."

Regardless of how much ground we lose, how many states pass independent practice bills, how many systems as a whole (eg: the VA) go to advanced nurse practitioner models only, some people will refuse to pull their heads out from three feet under the ground...or from other places where the sun isn't shining.

And keep in mind, I say this as someone who is in one of the most protected areas of the country, where we have all MD groups everywhere without a CRNA in sight. But then again, is any area truly protected these days?

Reactions: 2 users
This is not hate, or vitriol, or anger. I am perfectly calm when I am writing this: we should all stop teaching and supporting midlevels, because they are our replacements. Not today, maybe not for a decade or two, but probably sooner than we think. I do know that change will come regardless, but it doesn't mean I have to help them hasten its arrival. We should all better ourselves every day and make ourselves more difficult to replace, and easier to hire elsewhere. We are already about one disruptive technology away from being replaced in most ORs.

There are literally thousands of anesthesiologists who built careers around easy, uncomplicated cases because it is easy money. No call outpatient positions, plastic surgery offices and GI centers. So if there are advanced practice nurses who are willing to do more than that and get the training to do so, I say those lazy anesthesiologists deserve what they get. I have more respect for some nurses than I have for some anesthesiologists. We should teach whoever wants to learn.

The answer is not a hostile takeover us versus them. Crnas and np's are here to stay. I believe in a supervision model that allows for a collabrative effort between physicians and mid levels. A standard of supervision of mid levels needs to be maintained as the standard of care. I know the limitations of their practice. We are on the same page. I differ in that I consider them collegues and their input is valuable but as the head of the care team the ultimate decision lies with me.

The answer is not a hostile takeover us versus them. Crnas and np's are here to stay. I believe in a supervision model that allows for a collabrative effort between physicians and mid levels. A standard of supervision of mid levels needs to be maintained as the standard of care. I know the limitations of their practice. We are on the same page. I differ in that I consider them collegues and their input is valuable but as the head of the care team the ultimate decision lies with me.
You are too optimistic, no offense.

You'll get to "supervise" them until they learn most of the stuff you know, the stuff you learned the hard way during residency and medical school, then the suits won't need you anymore. The difference between you and midlevels is mostly not the knowledge (which is at their fingertips), it's the thinking and the experience. Where do you think all those independent CRNAs learned how to practice medicine, in CRNA school? Nope, they have learned it from us, from discussing anesthetic plans with us for years. We are their "residency" programs. Couple this with some new disruptive technology that would make difficult airways even rarer, or regional anesthesia accessible for them, and we, my friend, are just expensive history, relegated to do only the truly complicated (as in high malpractice risk) cases or to firefighter roles.

You might fool yourself into thinking that you are making the important decisions here, but the most important one, the one that will get you fired, will be made by others. Or, to be precise, has already been made by others. The question is not IF, but WHEN. Just wait to see what happens if the VA experiment is successful. ;)

OK, that is all well and good. But, let us say that the midlevels you supervise DON'T know their limits, DON'T believe in a collaborative effort, and think that you're an overpaid, unnecessary part of the surgical team. Now what? Do you continue supporting them, their involvement, and their training? Even if the nurses you work with may think differently, you would utterly naive to think that it is like that across the country. And after a certain point, you have to say enough is enough, and take a stand for your specialty.

To make it easier to understand, the training of these "advanced practice nurses" is very much akin to advanced artificial intelligence in more ways than one. They are machines that don't have a brain, can't think for themselves, and only know what you program them to know. However, after a certain point, you've taught them so much that they think their AI is superior to their creator's, and they will revolt against you. It is bound to happen. So, rather than attempting to limit the AI and tame the well-behaved robots that you own, why not open your eyes, look at what has happened with the other robots across the country and how they've gone haywire and are eating their creators, and unplug the robots you own immediately? I can reference several Hollywood blockbusters for you to watch if you can't comprehend this analogy.

CRNA Network ‏@crnaflorida 1 May 2014
What do you call two anesthesia providers with one surgical case? A waste of money to the American people. #anesthesia #crna

1. CRNA Network ‏@crnaflorida 21 Mar 2014
    Yep CRNA's are smart. We can do after 8 years what many take over 12 years to do. #crna #anesthesia

1 retweet4 likes

2. CRNA Network ‏@crnaflorida 21 Mar 2014
    When seconds count... Guess who is by ur side? #crna #anesthesia
CE0izmLUgAA1_nP.jpg:large

I want to LOLing right now, but for some reason I got a horrible migraine while reading this post.

"Collaborative" means they do what the hell they want regardless of what you want. "Collaborative" is not "supervision" in any way, shape or form. You're fooling yourself.

I work in a true, by-the-book, ACT practice with medical direction. An anesthesiologist is involved in the care of each and every patient. Medical direction >>> "collaborative"