Nursing vs Social Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jarrodmac10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, my girlfriend is in the middle of withdrawing from WSU's BSN program so that she can pursue a degree in social work. I originally tried to persuade her into staying in the nursing program, but I'm pretty sure her mind is set on social work. I'm not trying to bash social workers, but what can I tell her to keep her from changing her career path? She told me that the reason for the change was due to her first clinical experience. She was praised by her CI but felt that nursing was going to be a stressful career, and that she can help the same amount of people while in social work. Can you please give me some examples of nursing jobs in the field that are less stressful, stay away from bodily fluids, and that are very rewarding? Also, if you know of any, what are some of the benefits associated with social work?

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, my girlfriend is in the middle of withdrawing from WSU's BSN program so that she can pursue a degree in social work. I originally tried to persuade her into staying in the nursing program, but I'm pretty sure her mind is set on social work. I'm not trying to bash social workers, but what can I tell her to keep her from changing her career path? She told me that the reason for the change was due to her first clinical experience. She was praised by her CI but felt that nursing was going to be a stressful career, and that she can help the same amount of people while in social work. Can you please give me some examples of nursing jobs in the field that are less stressful, stay away from bodily fluids, and that are very rewarding? Also, if you know of any, what are some of the benefits associated with social work?

Thanks for your time.
1.)finish the degree so she has a good fall back at least
2.) she can go to crna school after finishing her rn after doing the required icu work I think?
3.) become a teacher in the nursing field
4.) become an np that does fm or well woman exams
5.)do inner city fm or rural fm work

Social work not a lot of good things to say
1.) abuse cases can she handle taking kids from mom and dad
2.) low pay for stress( I have one friend say fxxx it and now works at Dillard's making the same amoun almost.) I have another that is struggling to make ends meet and I know one that had to go back to get a ms for more opportunities.
3.) it can be rewarding if you choose the right avenue( I have on working in a hospital that is happy but gets stressed a lot as well)

Overall I would say finish her rn first and look around for jobs prior to going to social work job

Thanks for your time.

Nursing leads to far more opportunities for a comfortable living (NP, PA, CRNA, etc.) compared with social work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every social worker or counselor I know is one step away from living in their car unless married to someone with a good job.

Every social worker or counselor I know is one step away from living in their car unless married to someone with a good job.

That's if they can even find a job. The market right now for MSWs is beyond saturated. OP - really, try to talk her out of it. Leaving nursing for an MSW is a big gamble... not in a good way.

That's if they can even find a job. The market right now for MSWs is beyond saturated. OP - really, try to talk her out of it. Leaving nursing for an MSW is a big gamble... not in a good way.

True. One told me this weekend she can't get on any insurance panels as they have so many already they don't want to mess with anymore.

Has she considered finishing her degree and becoming a case manager?

Thank you everyone for your responses. She decided to pursue elementary education.

Thank you everyone for your responses. She decided to pursue elementary education.

Why is she flipping her decision so much? She will find a job but does she know teaching at that level is rigorous and stressful as well? Bad kids and worse parents!

Elementary education? Isn't that market saturated as well? For my BSN it seemed like every girl who couldn't make the grades for nursing school went into elementary education...Just saying its an easy low stress degree but the pay doesn't touch nursing...

Elementary education? Isn't that market saturated as well? For my BSN it seemed like every girl who couldn't make the grades for nursing school went into elementary education...Just saying its an easy low stress degree but the pay doesn't touch nursing...

I hate to say it because that's what my wife and cousin did, but it's true. Also, the market is horrible here.