NY DOE OT Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madusa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've read previous posts of other prospective OT students who have applied for the NY DOE scholarship and I wanted to know their experience. How was the application process? Has anyone actually been awarded the scholarship? I'm interested in applying for the scholarship next year.

Please share your experiences, advice, etc.

Thanks a bunch!
Madusa :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also very interested in what previous applicants say to this!

From my understanding, the scholarship is like winning the lottery when it comes to scholarships, good luck madusa!

Hey, I currently have the scholarship from the DOE. It a great deal for someone who wants to stay in the NYC area for a while after OT school and wants to work with pedis. I'll just throw out some info for anyone interested because I know there's not much out there. It pays for two years of OT school tuition only (fall,summer,spring semesters), therefore you'd have to pay for books and any fees the schools have. For every year they pay for school you have to work two in the DOE. So 4 years total.

There is an interview process sometime in July. Its your basic one-on-one interview but there are other people interviewing in a large room as well. They said about 400 people apply and they award 25-30 scholarships provided the funding is available.

Good luck to all applying, I know its a stressful time. But remember to breathe it will all come together

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I currently have the scholarship from the DOE. It a great deal for someone who wants to stay in the NYC area for a while after OT school and wants to work with pedis. I'll just throw out some info for anyone interested because I know there's not much out there. It pays for two years of OT school tuition only (fall,summer,spring semesters), therefore you'd have to pay for books and any fees the schools have. For every year they pay for school you have to work two in the DOE. So 4 years total.

There is an interview process sometime in July. Its your basic one-on-one interview but there are other people interviewing in a large room as well. They said about 400 people apply and they award 25-30 scholarships provided the funding is available.

Good luck to all applying, I know its a stressful time. But remember to breathe it will all come together
Hi XCOT,

Congratulations on receiving the scholarship...and thanks so much for replying to my post. I currently work with adults with developmental disabilities in a day hab program but I am definitely interested in early intervention and working with children in the school system. I just had another question: do you know if they are looking for any specific work experience with children? Just curious.

Thanks again for the information...it was very helpful. Good luck in your studies, XCOT!!

Madusa

Thanks XCOT for the information!!! It makes me feel better knowing its a one-on-one interview. Were the questions the routine "why do you want to become an OT" or are they different?

I received an e-mail today confirming my application for the scholarship, it states that we'll hear in May when the day of the interview will be held in June, and she stated the will only hold interviews in June. I'm a little eager to have the interview but nervous all the same.

Good luck to everyone! :D

Good luck, Penguinita!! :)

As of 1995, students had to attend Columbia, NYU, Toura, or SUNY-Utica

is this still the case?

TIA

As of 1995, students had to attend Columbia, NYU, Toura, or SUNY-Utica

is this still the case?

TIA

Students who attend SUNY Downstate are also eligible to apply for this scholarship.

has anyone heard back from nycdoe scholarship? good or bad?

Hi! I know it's been many years since this was posted, but I have a question. it seems like it asks for clinical affiliations in order to apply, but I don't understand since it's supposed to give you a scholarship to go to school where you get clinical affiliations. Is this only available for people who have already finished clinicals or who have finished school?

Thank you1
Olga

Hi! I know it's been many years since this was posted, but I have a question. it seems like it asks for clinical affiliations in order to apply, but I don't understand since it's supposed to give you a scholarship to go to school where you get clinical affiliations. Is this only available for people who have already finished clinicals or who have finished school?

Thank you1
Olga
This scholarship is for student currently enrolled in one of the schools participating in the program. They pay for your 2nd and 3d years in exchange for 2 and a half years (per each year so 5 years total) of working in a NYC doe school. You can find more info on www.Schools.nyc.gov

This scholarship is for student currently enrolled in one of the schools participating in the program. They pay for your 2nd and 3d years in exchange for 2 and a half years (per each year so 5 years total) of working in a NYC doe school. You can find more info on www.Schools.nyc.gov
Thanks so much! So there's not chance they accept incoming students beginning this fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody know what kind of interview questions will be asked?

Reactions: 1 user
I wish! Lol but no they only do it for the last 2 years
Hi Gina2493, do you by any chance recall what kinds of questions were asked during the NYC Dept of Ed scholarship interview or even the gist of them? Do you recall what the essay part was like at all? Any info you could give would be most appreciated!!

Hi XCOT, do you recall by any chance what kind of questions were asked during the scholarship interview?
Thank you!!

im so nervous for this lol

Hi! Just a quick question - will all applicants be notified of a decision about the scholarship? Or only those who are selected? I’m so anxious and there’s still a month left before they send out results. Please respond if you have any insight. I had my interview on June 6th, 2018. Best of luck, everyone!

Hi! Just a quick question - will all applicants be notified of a decision about the scholarship? Or only those who are selected? I’m so anxious and there’s still a month left before they send out results. Please respond if you have any insight. I had my interview on June 6th, 2018. Best of luck, everyone!

Hi OccuThera2018,
It’s been a while since I’ve been on this website but I’m so impatient with the DOE OT scholarship decisions that I’m back on here trying to figure out if people were selected or not.
Anywho! I’ll answer your question. Based on last year I could tell you that they notify both the selected and the rejected. I recall getting a rejection email last year. Weirdly I can’t find it anywhere but I do remembered receiving it.
Hope I get it this year!

Hi OccuThera2018,
It’s been a while since I’ve been on this website but I’m so impatient with the DOE OT scholarship decisions that I’m back on here trying to figure out if people were selected or not.
Anywho! I’ll answer your question. Based on last year I could tell you that they notify both the selected and the rejected. I recall getting a rejection email last year. Weirdly I can’t find it anywhere but I do remembered receiving it.
Hope I get it this year!

Hey there! Thanks for responding! I really appreciate it! This is my first year applying and I’m honestly so anxious to know the results! They said August but no specific date/s so this wait is really agonizing! When was your interview this year? Do you remember when in August you heard back last year? Like even an estimate would be so helpful! Which program are you attending by the way? If I don’t get the scholarship this year (hoping that wouldn’t be the case, though!), I will definitely reapply so I would love to know how it goes for you! The best of luck to us! :)

Hey there! Thanks for responding! I really appreciate it! This is my first year applying and I’m honestly so anxious to know the results! They said August but no specific date/s so this wait is really agonizing! When was your interview this year? Do you remember when in August you heard back last year? Like even an estimate would be so helpful! Which program are you attending by the way? If I don’t get the scholarship this year (hoping that wouldn’t be the case, though!), I will definitely reapply so I would love to know how it goes for you! The best of luck to us! :)

Hey! So I remember being told in the interview that we would hear back around the last 2 weeks of July and first 2 weeks of August. So based on that we should hear back any day now.
Last year I think it was around mid August that I got the rejection email. I tried searching for the rejection email from last year but I might have deleted it. Can’t find it anywhere.

I’ll PM you the other response to your question.

Hey! So I remember being told in the interview that we would hear back around the last 2 weeks of July and first 2 weeks of August. So based on that we should hear back any day now.
Last year I think it was around mid August that I got the rejection email. I tried searching for the rejection email from last year but I might have deleted it. Can’t find it anywhere.

I’ll PM you the other response to your question.

Ahhh any day now! That’s crazy! I’m so excited for this wait to be over! It has been a while! I’ll respond to the PM, too. :)