NY Med [ABC tv show]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duckie99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.nymedshow.com/

I just wanted to get your thoughts on the show. ABC follows doctors and patients in NY Presbyterian Hospital. Show airs on ABC Tuesdays at 10pm/9c. The website allows you to watch the episodes that have already played (just one so far) and extra scenes. Also gives updates on patients and more info on docs in each episode.

My thoughts:
I really enjoy this show a lot. However I think they have lost opportunities just looking at the surgery in each case. They could have put a couple more minutes in there about further care such as with the brain tumor patient as obviously her care did not end with the surgery.

I also find only focusing on surgery and the ED to be a little lazy when it comes to patients as there is so much more out there. Obviously it's easier when it comes to TV but I think/hope future episodes expand the scope.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic show and I definitely recommend it to all med students, especially 1st and 2nd year students, because it does remind you of why you actually went to med school and shows a real hospital, real doctors, and real patients. By the way I am a 4th year student.

Members don't see this ad.

The first episode showed a few scenes involving pathologists and anesthesiologists. This was good insofar as they got any coverage at all. People will better appreciate the role that these support specialties play in patient care. I hope to see some radiologists in the future.

Dr. Oz is just way too charismatic for me to aspire to. I want to see more of Dr. Kato.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's from the same people who made Boston Med and Hopkins 24/7.

Just saw the first episode. Not as good as Boston Med or Hopkins 24/7 IMHO. Maybe the future episodes will be more interesting..

Just saw the first episode. Not as good as Boston Med or Hopkins 24/7 IMHO. Maybe the future episodes will be more interesting..

I agree. I thought the focus on Oz was a little too much, I will mirror what someone else said and say I wish Dr. Kato was emphasized more.

I also kind of wish the ER was emphasized less, or at least they showed more trauma.

Dr. Oz is the mayor.
I LOLʻed when he said that bit about being the mayor.

I enjoyed the first episode as well and like many others really wanted to see more of Dr. Kato and the transplant surgeon resident (forgot her name but she can surely sing beautifully.)

I also appreciated the clips focusing on the pathologists because they are usually kept behind the scenes.

will keep watching... iʻm sure the scope will emerge beyond ED and surgery soon!

Dr Oz is a major tool. Anyone who has ever watched his show can see the snake oil salesman he really is.

I was pretty off-put by some comment Dr. Oz made.. I don't remember it verbatim, but it was basically him bragging about how awesome he was at talking to patients.

True about the pathologists and anesthesiologists getting some air time. Never seen that before and definitely noticed. Also I don't have a problem with Dr. Oz in this show to be honest. He's a heart surgeon so he should have some interesting stuff.

And I agree that Boston Med was a little better. Think it was just a combo of the music as well as more focusing on a couple patients more fully and the backstory of the residents in the episode (as opposed to the just the extra scenes). This show just seemed to gloss over a lot of stuff and show a couple ER patients (obviously they're trying to focus on the attractive nurse). Oh well. It's still a good show regardless.

also a comment made by dr Kato about the liver surgery patient only having 6 mo left clearly was wrong/off-putting as he had a couple sessions of chemoemboloization and is still alive (more than a year after they originally filmed). Maybe he jumped the gun or perhaps the tape was just edited to make it seem worse. We were taught it's not really good to give timeframes like that (the fellow did a much better job... on tape anyway).

Members don't see this ad :)

truth. Felt like the first episode was no where as involved with cases as Hopkins or Boston Med featured.

And that Benny accent on the ER nurse..yuck. :thumbdown:

I liked the contrast between Dr. Oz's team and Dr Kato's team. Oz and his CT surgeon buddy were high-fiving and hamming it up in the OR, and all of the nurses and old Manhattan hags were ogling over him in the hallways. He was totally soaking it up and enjoying his celebrity.

Meanwhile, Dr. Kato has to humbly tell his patient's family that he unable to help their dying father/husband, and the show ends with a transplant fellow reflecting on how she never had the looks needed to pursue a career in music. It was a nice portrayal of the spectrum of ego and humility in medicine.

Mr. stripper guy's parents were the people who chose not to vaccinate him... the stripper guy even said vaccines were a good idea. Nice reasoning, there.

Maybe I interpreted it incorrectly but I thought at 28:30 they were being sarcastic. Also he could have received the MMR later in life. The vaccination schedule says MMR should be given, even if someone is over 18, if a person isn't sure if they did have or they know they didn't if they had the two dose MMR. It's not like missing the shot as a child permanently prevents someone from getting the MMR later in life....

The attending straight up asked his fiance what religion they are and she said christian scientists, so, it sounds like they are observant....

Last edited:
Maybe I interpreted it incorrectly but I thought at 28:30 they were being sarcastic. Also he could have received the MMR later in life. The vaccination schedule says MMR should be given, even if someone is over 18, if a person isn't sure if they did have or they know they didn't if they had the two dose MMR. It's not like missing the shot as a child permanently prevents someone from getting the MMR later in life....

The attending straight up asked his fiance what religion they are and she said christian scientists, so, it sounds like they are observant....

Actually, the doc asked what religious background they had.

also a comment made by dr Kato about the liver surgery patient only having 6 mo left clearly was wrong/off-putting as he had a couple sessions of chemoemboloization and is still alive (more than a year after they originally filmed).

how do you know this about the patient?

Actually, the doc asked what religious background they had.

No, he didn't. Listen again.

edit: Screw it, just so you guys stop hassling me, here is the literal transcript:

Starting at 27:43

Fiancee: He has never been vaccinated for that.
Attending: and you know his history better than he does?
Fiancee: I don't think he is, 'cause just our religious background, uhm, we didn't get vaccinations...(cut off)
Attending: oh, ok, gotcha. What kind of religion are you?
Fiancee: Christian Scientist.

End at 27:55.

I won't transcribe the last part, maybe it was in jest, maybe it wasn't.

Last edited:
I was pretty off-put by some comment Dr. Oz made.. I don't remember it verbatim, but it was basically him bragging about how awesome he was at talking to patients.

Yeah, but Dude, he like, doesn't operate on a person unless they're like, totally loved and whatnot. Love is the most powerful medicine in the land of Oz.

Yeah, but Dude, he like, doesn't operate on a person unless they're like, totally loved and whatnot. Love is the most powerful medicine in the land of Oz.

If your heart doesn't have a reason to beat, it won't.

Didn't the other surgeon do most of the surgery and he took all of the credit?

I thought it was an interesting show so far however i enjoyed boston med and hopkins more. I am hoping that oz doesnt get as much air time in episodes to come because his ego is too much to handle.

If your heart doesn't have a reason to beat, it won't.

This quote. This quote pretty much sums up Dr. Oz's douchiness. That other CT surgeon seemed WAY more reputable. Which surgeon would YOU rather have of the two?

My answer: Neither. Dr. Kato please.

My answer: Neither. Dr. Kato please.

I don't understand the love for Kato. Guy was way off on his surgery saying the patient had less than 6 months. Also I simply don't understand why he needed to be opened up when I would be surprised to learn that his liver lesions didn't show up on a MRI or at least a CT. He should have known going in what he was in for or at the very least know that the lesions were fairly widespread and he could not resect them. Granted we don't know the whole story but fact is the patient is still alive and there were more treatment options that either Kato did not discuss with the family, did not discuss at that time, or was edited in such a way to make the prognosis seem worse.

I don't understand the love for Kato. Guy was way off on his surgery saying the patient had less than 6 months. Also I simply don't understand why he needed to be opened up when I would be surprised to learn that his liver lesions didn't show up on a MRI or at least a CT. He should have known going in what he was in for or at the very least know that the lesions were fairly widespread and he could not resect them. Granted we don't know the whole story but fact is the patient is still alive and there were more treatment options that either Kato did not discuss with the family, did not discuss at that time, or was edited in such a way to make the prognosis seem worse.

1334308732_coolstorybro.jpg

The ratio of Oz:Kato was at least 7:1 that episode, so it's hard to judge Kato. Dr. Oz has at least an hour every afternoon to make it known how "eccentric" he is.

I agree it wasn't as interesting as the other two series. A lot of focus on the ER nurse with the terrible accent and fake cans.

As far as Dr. Oz goes, I think he actually came off as having a good bedside manner when talking with his patients. However, and I would have to watch it again, but it seemed that he said he wanted to operate with his former fellow because "I want someone in there who thinks about this stuff everyday." It also seems that he was more of an assistant and the other CT surgeon did most of the work (at least what we saw on camera). He may have a good on camera persona and a good bedside manner, but if I had to let someone cut on my heart it wouldn't be the guy who does it one day a week and wants someone else in the room to help him.

This pretty much sums up what I felt the pilot episode was.

sw5022482yu.gif

lol only on SDN does a medical student question the clinical decisions of a chief surgeon at one of the leading medical institutions in the world

lol only on SDN does a medical student question the clinical decisions of a chief surgeon at one of the leading medical institutions in the world

the internet is a funny place.

Y'all are way too hard to Dr. Oz. He was perfectly fine IMO, although I wasn't aware that he is an actual celebrity outside of this show. I certainly wouldn't send him back if he was my doctor.

I like the show. I think Boston Med had a better pilot, but we'll have to see where this goes. One of the nice things about Boston Med was that the doctors and nurses didn't feel as polished, where NY Med seems to focus on Dr. Oz a lot, who already has a cultivated on-camera persona.

Y'all are way too hard to Dr. Oz. He was perfectly fine IMO, although I wasn't aware that he is an actual celebrity outside of this show. I certainly wouldn't send him back if he was my doctor.

I like the show. I think Boston Med had a better pilot, but we'll have to see where this goes. One of the nice things about Boston Med was that the doctors and nurses didn't feel as polished, where NY Med seems to focus on Dr. Oz a lot, who already has a cultivated on-camera persona.

We're hard on him because he's a total sellout and plugs homeopathic remedies on his show.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/Alternative-Pain-Treatments-Pt-1

Never mind his charisma. He is a douche. Plain and simple.

pro-tip: they're featuring him for ratings.

This series is sure to feature more relationship drama with nurses, dating outside the hospital, and the personal lives of the staff. All-in-all, there was maybe 5 minutes of actual medicine in the entire episode. Hooking up and relationship drama draws more ratings..I sincerely doubt this series will be half as good as Hopkins of Boston Med if the pilot is any indicator.

LA Times: "Subsequent episodes settle down a bit — in the next two episodes, there is no singing and Oz doesn't make another appearance until Episode 5."

also a comment made by dr Kato about the liver surgery patient only having 6 mo left clearly was wrong/off-putting as he had a couple sessions of chemoemboloization and is still alive (more than a year after they originally filmed).

This is a win for interventional radiology over surgery.

Episode 2 made the ER look like a pretty miserable place to be a medical professional. Also, I don't think I've seen surgeons sweat as much as those transplant guys... aren't the OR thermostats supposed to be set to just above frigid?

Hopkins >>> Boston Med > NY Med (so far).

Episode 2 made the ER look like a pretty miserable place to be a medical professional. Also, I don't think I've seen surgeons sweat as much as those transplant guys... aren't the OR thermostats supposed to be set to just above frigid?

Hopkins >>> Boston Med > NY Med (so far).

EM in ultra-urban areas can be rough, in my experience.

So far I like Hopkins and Boston Med a lot more, I'm not sure I'll even make time to watch this whole series. They don't show enough medicine to keep it interesting.

I have zero interest in seeing McDreamy croon about his lost love and go visit his old haunts post-katrina. I just don't care.

The hot nurses are nice though.

I wish a show would follow someone other than surgery and EM... let's spend some more time with IR, some primary care doctors, follow some hospitalists and then GI, card, pulm/cc, nephro, etc. Show those academic guys doing non-patient care things too, like research.

Bleh I guess I'm just too much of a medical nerd for network television. They've gotta have the drama to keep the viewers.

Show those academic guys doing non-patient care things too, like research.

That would make for some pretty bad TV...

"Watch now, as Dr. Thompson does a serial dilution and then looks at these epithelial cells under a microscope."

"Watch now, as Dr. Thompson does a serial dilution and then looks at these epithelial cells under a microscope."

Oh I just mean more like them holding a meeting to go over the clinical research they are doing or something, just a couple minutes. Ugh I guess it just is me being nerdy. Oh well I'll get plenty of chances to see this kind of stuff once I start clinical rotations.

Lol, exactly. This show is for regular people. Relationships and drama are more interesting than research and medical problem solving to them.

Not made for med students, old sport.

Reactions: 1 user
Dr Oz is a major tool. Anyone who has ever watched his show can see the snake oil salesman he really is.

At the VERY least, he still does something that is useful. Somehow, he was able to stay Board-certified and keep his job. If i were the hospital president, i would have already fired him and take away his license because of the violation of the hippocratic oath. Also, WHY THE BLEEP DID THEY FILM THE SURGERY and filming them with NON-PROF manner.

So far I like Hopkins and Boston Med a lot more, I'm not sure I'll even make time to watch this whole series. They don't show enough medicine to keep it interesting.

I have zero interest in seeing McDreamy croon about his lost love and go visit his old haunts post-katrina. I just don't care.

The hot nurses are nice though.

I wish a show would follow someone other than surgery and EM... let's spend some more time with IR, some primary care doctors, follow some hospitalists and then GI, card, pulm/cc, nephro, etc. Show those academic guys doing non-patient care things too, like research.

Bleh I guess I'm just too much of a medical nerd for network television. They've gotta have the drama to keep the viewers.

Do you think the Psych Ward of any hospital worth its weight (McLean/MGH, Hopkins, NYU langone, Bellvue) America still thinks psychiatry is stuck in the 50s with spleen removal and shock. Better yet, what about a medical drama that is a cross between Mad Men and any GOOD medical show. You know, 50s medicine.

pro-tip: they're featuring him for ratings.

This series is sure to feature more relationship drama with nurses, dating outside the hospital, and the personal lives of the staff. All-in-all, there was maybe 5 minutes of actual medicine in the entire episode. Hooking up and relationship drama draws more ratings..I sincerely doubt this series will be half as good as Hopkins of Boston Med if the pilot is any indicator.

If i wanted drama, i'd watch a good one like season 1-4 of House MD, Season 1-3 of ER, Mad Men, The Sopranos,The Pacific, NewsRoom, The Wire, Third Watch, The X Files and last but not least West Wing and 24.

At the VERY least, he still does something that is useful. Somehow, he was able to stay Board-certified and keep his job. If i were the hospital president, i would have already fired him and take away his license because of the violation of the hippocratic oath. Also, WHY THE BLEEP DID THEY FILM THE SURGERY and filming them with NON-PROF manner.

With all due respect...what the **** are you talking about?

I like ABC's habit of showing summer, medical reality-based programming. Hopkins was pretty good and while I didn't get to catch much of Boston Med, NY Med seems enjoyable. I like it!