NY Med [ABC tv show]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Oz is pretty arrogant...however, can you really fight it? Going from Harvard to UPenn Med and eventually ending up as a cardiothoracic surgeon with your own talk show...i'm not saying that he is the best thing since sliced bread, but DAMN.

he seems to have some daddy issues.

Members don't see this ad.

In general surgery, all residents in their final year are "chief resident."

Only in non-surgical specialties is it something where you are selected because of how awesome you are. And it may not be how awesome you are so much as everyone else turns it down before you lol.
Thanks I had no idea

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Oz is pretty arrogant...however, can you really fight it? Going from Harvard to UPenn Med and eventually ending up as a cardiothoracic surgeon with your own talk show...i'm not saying that he is the best thing since sliced bread, but DAMN.

Yeah dude, that is the best thing since sliced bread....kinda hard to top that. I really liked the guy. Everyone was bashing him but he seems pretty cool, not like that Dr.90210 guy. I do think some people are just hating on him though. On another note, at all the hospitals that I worked at, the charge nurse would put you in your place for poor patient care ( long hair untied during procedure, running hands though hair, etc.) They don't care if you are a medstudent, resident or chief resident. With the exception of sorry attendings, they never say things to those guys:mad:

Personally, i like Dr Oz but the show would be better if they had more doctors and MEDICINE to cover versus the Oz Show

I didn't like that trauma surg girl. When the attending was trying to give her directions in the trauma bay she was giving him all kinds of attitude. Plus she goes through all that training and she ends up doing cosmetic surgery? c'mon!

while I agree with your sentiment in that I will not be pursuing a career based on the superficial obsessions of otherwise healthy people... I do think it's a little harsh to bash people who do. Medicine is a job in the end after all.

and about episode 3: I thought it was much better than the first 2 episodes. The girl surgeon was pretty attractive lol and I was honestly surprised she was a surgeon when I first saw her. I was not surprised she went on to do cosmetic surgery.

Oh and I wanted to say that seeing med students in the show is kinda funny because I can spot them a mile away... standing there not know what the heck to do. I thought it was interesting they had the student explain the complication on the heart transplant.

I also thought the part about the "gay troops" was unnecessary for the show. Likely took away some viewers for getting into politics on a medical documentary/drama.

A lot of people bitching about the lack of 'medicine' in the show...would I like more--yes--but let's be realistic and practical. This show isn't for the profession, it's for the lay person. Do you think a lay person wants more medicine or would they rather watch McSteamy junior take his trip to New Orleans?

Love the pre-meds critiquing a chief surgery resident at a prestigious hospital. Classic SDN!

while I agree with your sentiment in that I will not be pursuing a career based on the superficial obsessions of otherwise healthy people... I do think it's a little harsh to bash people who do. Medicine is a job in the end after all.

and about episode 3: I thought it was much better than the first 2 episodes. The girl surgeon was pretty attractive lol and I was honestly surprised she was a surgeon when I first saw her. I was not surprised she went on to do cosmetic surgery.

Oh and I wanted to say that seeing med students in the show is kinda funny because I can spot them a mile away... standing there not know what the heck to do. I thought it was interesting they had the student explain the complication on the heart transplant.

I also thought the part about the "gay troops" was unnecessary for the show. Likely took away some viewers for getting into politics on a medical documentary/drama.

I thought it was funny how the student looked weary and disheartened, like he was actually involved in any way in the transplant. They probably had him do it because all the docs were busy making phone calls, etc.

The gay troops thing humanized the patient which is one thing the show seems to focus on. I thought it was a little strange they focused on it given the repeal of DADT, but I guess they might have filmed this before the repeal. Clearly the dude himself wanted to make a political statement, and the network decided to broadcast his political statement. I'd kind of hope if I was being interviewed I wouldn't have controversial stuff cut out unless I asked for it to be cut out.

I thought tonight's episode (4) was ok... the guy who kept on eating nails and paper clips was bizarre. Also thought the heart surgeon was arrogant in the way he came off saying that CT residents now aren't well prepared due to the work hour restrictions & that you can't train a CT surgeon on an 80 hour work week. I'm sure Panda Bear would disagree XD

EDIT: n/m. It was Boston med not NY med.

Just watched NY med #3. Two points:

1.) Oz walks the halls like a demi-god lol.

2.) What's up with the gay agenda. A little too forced if you ask me.

Last edited:
Episode 4: more evidence that NYC is a magnet for obnoxious female surgeons.

Also, I love it how the arsehole CT surgeons throws all his younger colleagues under the bus. Classy move, good sir. Really classy.

Last edited:
That was crazy to me. Doesn't the 80 hr rule only apply to intern year? I get the sense that he is the type that would perceive that current residents don't know as much simply because they don't know as much as him now.

"Did I use to be like that? Nah...must be the 80 hr rule"

Also thought the heart surgeon was arrogant in the way he came off saying that CT residents now aren't well prepared due to the work hour restrictions & that you can't train a CT surgeon on an 80 hour work week. I'm sure Panda Bear would disagree XD

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this show!!!

Also, I had to catch up on episode 2 and 3 this morning because i was out of town for the past week and a half.

Somewhat ironically, I was at New York Presbyterian/CUMC when Boston Med was playing two summers ago. A bunch of us watched it on the roof of Columbia's Bard Hall. Funny that the show is there now!

One thing I find odd is they put a huge emphasis on surgery. I guess I see why so many people like it, it seems popular. The operation room is definitely not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about doctors lol

One thing I find odd is they put a huge emphasis on surgery. I guess I see why so many people like it, it seems popular. The operation room is definitely not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about doctors lol

I'm surprised no one wants to see the hot, hot rounding for five hours action.

Ugh, I'd rather watch Oprah talk than watch hot rounding :p

But that's true, I guess the layperson likes "action". The OR puts me to sleepy sleep, which is a nice lullaby.

They wouldn't necessarily have to show rounding, they could just include other specialties in the narratives. The one urologist from the Hopkins series got decent camera time without the OR.

But I think rounding would be interesting to watch, if done well. They could feature people geting pwnd on rounds by crusty attendings ala "Doctors' Diaries." That makes for great television. Nova >>>>> Terence Wrong/ABC.

The ****ty-ness of that episode was offset by that adorable little girl at the end asking for pancakes.

How terrible it must be to work as a cardiothoracic surgeon. That one guy looked absolutely miserable and void of any personality/joy.

They wouldn't necessarily have to show rounding, they could just include other specialties in the narratives. The one urologist from the Hopkins series got decent camera time without the OR.

But I think rounding would be interesting to watch, if done well. They could feature people geting pwnd on rounds by crusty attendings ala "Doctors' Diaries." That makes for great television. Nova >>>>> Terence Wrong/ABC.

agree that rounding could be made interesting and have a narrative. But they want to life/death drama, emotion, etc.

She seemed... cray.

I would propose to her on the spot if I met her.

And maybe I'm not in tune with what makes good television... but every week I'm watching an episode of NY Med and Boston Med (after hearing about Boston being better) and I don't really think Boston leads by a landslide, if at all. Bardouche is the man though.

I would propose to her on the spot if I met her.

And maybe I'm not in tune with what makes good television... but every week I'm watching an episode of NY Med and Boston Med (after hearing about Boston being better) and I don't really think Boston leads by a landslide, if at all. Bardouche is the man though.

Is that the awkward-looking one or the smug-looking one?

Bardouche isn't even a surgeon anymore. If I'm thinking of the same guy. He works in finance. Someone posted his linkdn profile on here a couple months ago (cocky surgeon resident from Boston med...?).

I'd say Hopkins is better by a landslide, BostonMed was just noticeably better.

I remember seeing someone say Hopkins was the best. But I couldn't easily find access to the episodes, so I started Boston med instead. I'll make more of an effort after I finish these two.

Bardouche isn't even a surgeon anymore. If I'm thinking of the same guy. He works in finance. Someone posted his linkdn profile on here a couple months ago (cocky surgeon resident from Boston med...?).

wow. funny to me because the attending and the trauma surgeon in the last episode I saw were talking about how talented he was even though he was stuck up... but he ended up quitting? I can understand people leaving in medical school, but once you're a resident at a well known teaching hospital... why throw away all that time beforehand?... Though I'm sure whatever he's doing now is a pretty lucrative endeavor in itself.

wow. funny to me because the attending and the trauma surgeon in the last episode I saw were talking about how talented he was even though he was stuck up... but he ended up quitting? I can understand people leaving in medical school, but once you're a resident at a well known teaching hospital... why throw away all that time beforehand?... Though I'm sure whatever he's doing now is a pretty lucrative endeavor in itself.

Yeah, he seemed to be talented but he also seemed kinda soft for categorical gen surg. Didn't strike me as a guy with a lot of moxie, so I guess it's not too shocking that he bailed in the end.

Funny how his linkedin profile just says he was a "surgeon" for those two years, not a resident. He's definitely using the lay person's ignorance of medical training to his advantage.

I'm guessing he wanted to complete at least his intern year in order to get licensed as a physician which would carry more weight in the business world.

I'm guessing he wanted to complete at least his intern year in order to get licensed as a physician which would carry more weight in the business world.

I mean, we can only speculate, but I'd he had this plan before interning/residency, he should have picked something less demanding than gen surg to do for a year... Lol

Just saw the fourth episode. Man, that CT surgeon sounded like a pain in the ass. Hopefully personalities like his aren't too common in medicine. The personalities in NY Med generally seem like more of a pain than in Boston Med or Hopkins. The female surgeon who kept saying "baby" after everything was super annoying too.

God bless the folks that work in the ED. Couldn't imagine dealing with miscreants day in and day out. Like the dude who didn't want to leave his spot in the ED... really?

Last edited:
Also thought the heart surgeon was arrogant in the way he came off saying that CT residents now aren't well prepared due to the work hour restrictions & that you can't train a CT surgeon on an 80 hour work week. I'm sure Panda Bear would disagree XD

He does have a point. The 80 hour rule's effects are not limited to CT surgery.

He also seems to have that old school attitude which many people can't handle these days. Everyone wants to be coddled.

Edit: So I went to their website to rewatch the segment on Girardi, to see if I missed something and this is the show's description of him:

"Leonard Girardi is known as an "old school" surgeon who believes that today's residents are coddled by only working 80 hours a week when once they would have had to work 120."

After watching it twice, Girardi didnt come off as miserable or a loser. He's very typical of the CT guys I've been around.

Last edited:
Yeah, he seemed to be talented but he also seemed kinda soft for categorical gen surg. Didn't strike me as a guy with a lot of moxie, so I guess it's not too shocking that he bailed in the end.

Funny how his linkedin profile just says he was a "surgeon" for those two years, not a resident. He's definitely using the lay person's ignorance of medical training to his advantage.

Kinda depends what you mean by "soft." When I was on gen surg none of the residents I worked with really seemed the stereotypical "surgeon," not even the chief. The neurosurgeons, on the other hand...

Please describe this "soft" vs "hard" for me. I'm interested in surgery and would like to further understand their demeanor (i assume that's what you're referring to?).

Kinda depends what you mean by "soft." When I was on gen surg none of the residents I worked with really seemed the stereotypical "surgeon," not even the chief. The neurosurgeons, on the other hand...

That CT surgeon sounds like a loser and caters to the gunners lol

That CT surgeon sounds like a loser and caters to the gunners lol

When I worked regular low-paying jobs like Dunkin Donuts there were plenty of people like him who acted extremely superior and felt that if you couldn't read their mind, you were somehow incompetent. For example one of the residents respectfully asked, "Should I put the knick-knack in the whiz-bang" and the CT guy just gave him a snide, obnoxious response. The attitude isn't because he's a CT surgeon, it's because he's a run-of-the-mill d-bag. Doesn't matter if he's a shift manager at Dunkin' Donuts or a brain surgeon at MGH. Doctors in training obviously shouldn't be incompetent fools who require multiple teachings to understand something. However, we DO need someone to teach us how things are done the first time around.

"I'd like to do x...if you are ok with that?" "NO! I am NOT ok with that!"

"the newer generation of heart surgeons are not nearly as knowledgeable and safe as us." He basically took a massive sh:t on the last ~5 yrs worth of fellows that graduated from his program. What a guy...

Episode 4: more evidence that NYC is a magnet for obnoxious female surgeons.

The female surgeon who kept saying "baby" after everything was super annoying too.
I have seriously never seen someone lacking that much class. She was wearing heels with scrubs and more paint on her face that the joker in TDK? No wonder they confuse her with the cleaning lady all the time.

I have seriously never seen someone lacking that much class. She was wearing heels with scrubs and more paint on her face that the joker in TDK? No wonder they confuse her with the cleaning lady all the time.

I think that is very subjective, it seemed like she was one of "those" proud loud spanish women that like to look pretty ALL the time. and there is nothing wrong with that, clearly she does her job well what does it matter if she wears heels while doing it

Is she a resident or attending?

I agree, though. She should make an attempt at professionalism.

I think that is very subjective, it seemed like she was one of "those" proud loud spanish women that like to look pretty ALL the time. and there is nothing wrong with that, clearly she does her job well what does it matter if she wears heels while doing it

Agreed. Nothing wrong with taking pride in oneself and one's culture. When it came time for her to explain the medicine behind the 2 procedures she did so in a clear and concise manner showing she had good knowledge of what was going on. I'll take a physician like her any day of the week over your typical stick in the ass surgeon with no bedside manner.

Is she a resident or attending?

I agree, though. She should make an attempt at professionalism.

I watched last week so I could be mistaken, but I believe she was an attending.

Please describe this "soft" vs "hard" for me. I'm interested in surgery and would like to further understand their demeanor (i assume that's what you're referring to?).

I can't believe no one snuck in a "that's what she said" here.

So surgeons tend to be more direct and less hedgey than, say, medicine doctors. Some of this is due to the nature of the specialty itself; surgeons tend to have larger censuses of inpatients to handle, and they tend to focus less on fixing or managing their complicated medical problems and more on whether they are medically stable for surgery, whether they are stable after surgery, whether they are recovering well, etc. Their notes and presentations tend to be very short because of this, because they have to get through a lot more patients and they are really more focused on their surgical problem rather than all of their chronic medical problems.

Surgery also has its own unique culture that medicine doesn't have so much. Most surgeons are male, so many of them make jokes or have conversations they probably wouldn't make if there was a larger number of females in the room. They tend to clown around more in general. It's a very fun atmosphere, but if you show hesitancy or lack of confidence, some surgeons will pick on that and either respect you less for it or they will challenge you more for it.

It's kind of difficult to describe, but there's definitely a kind of personality that surgery tends to attract.

I didn't really pick up that Bardouche was that soft though. But I think I was more focused on how much I hated the weird looking one.