NY - Mount Sinai Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamonddoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just returned from my interview at Sinai and was pretty dissapointed with what I saw. Firstly, the aesthetics from the outside of the hospital look beautiful but on the floor and NICU/PICU they are pretty drab. The residents seemed exhausted and there are a number of foreign med grads and DO's there as residents.
We met with the residency director, Dr. Forman, and he seemed less than excited about the program talking about renovations that will happen "soon" including a theatre and sports entertainment center in the lobby. They made us sit around for about 3 hours in the afternoon waiting for our interview to begin. Some went right away while others like me had to wait about 2.5 hours to be called.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed and I think my interviews at Columbia, NYU, Cornell, and even LIJ-NS went out of their way to make their respective programs shine. I heard nice stuff about Sinai and had visions of ranking them high on my rank list but I dont think so anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the review, I'll be interviewing there next month. Hopefully I won't have that wait in the afternoon like you did. Did they talk about graduates going into subspecialty vs primary care? They describe themselves as a "primary care-designated training program" on their website. I am interested in subspecialty training. Was this addressed?

bpkurtz

I'm sorry to hear that, too. I am also interviewing there next month (for Med-Peds only). Thanks for posting about your experience! It helps a lot. Now if I can only find someone interviewing at programs in the Chicago area as well. Going to Rush next week and haven't heard much about the program.

Just out of curioisty, diamonddoc, you mentioned there were a lot of DO's and foreign medical grads there. I hope this wasn't what you thought was a huge negative aspect of the program. Coming from California there are not a lot of DO's here, but I figure on the east coast there are many more DO's there because there are more schools cranking out graduates as opposed to having only 3 DO schools this side of the Mississippi. Also it seems there are a lot more foreign grads in general along the east coast. A lot of the foreign/carribean medical schools seem to have their "home base" in places like New York, Miami, etc. So it seems logical that these students would rotate there and eventually stay there for their post-graduate training. I am a DO student myself, so I just wanted some clarification what you meant. It sounded like you thought this was a turn-off. I would sincerely hope this is not the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck everyone!