NY practice prequirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InspireMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was applying for a NY medical licensure to practice pediatrics, I've looked at the websites and am currently applying for the the NY state licensure, what other things do I need to be able to practice?

- DEA?
- DPS?
- anything else?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As an attending, I'm finishing residency in Texas and will be working in NYC as my wife is in residency.

The state website says everything you need for license. It also suggests using that online folder program (Forgot what its called, I didn't use it) to collect the information.

Hey all, I was applying for a NY medical licensure to practice pediatrics, I've looked at the websites and am currently applying for the the NY state licensure, what other things do I need to be able to practice?

- DEA?
- DPS?
- anything else?

Thank you
Infection Control course
Child abuse course
Recognizing sepsis course

thanks all! For future reference and to anyone with a similar question

1. Used as guide for applying for NY licensure
- http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/med/medlic.htm

2. Not required but recommended and essential lifetime service for storing credentialing and verification documents
- http://www.fsmb.org/fcvs.html

I'm currently waiting as its being processed

Last step I've been told when I called NY state ed board was to apply for DEA# after License approved
https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/webforms/jsp/regapps/common/newAppLogin.jsp (initial DEA application)

whole process takes about 2-3 months (+ time needed for DEA application process) at this time of the year. Hope this helps anyone else with similar question.

Thanks for the update but I'd be careful about recommending FVCS.

Many of us, including me, have had significant problems with them and their general incompetence. If your state requires it, then so be it, but be aware that you have to monitor everything they do (and how long it takes them) and that many hospitals and other employers do not accept their records, requiring you to use their in-house credentialing. Read some of the SDN threads about FCVS for more information about the problems. I was never able to get them to change their documentation which had me as a Vascular Surgeon, nor issue me a refund because of their error.

Thanks for the update but I'd be careful about recommending FVCS.

Many of us, including me, have had significant problems with them and their general incompetence. If your state requires it, then so be it, but be aware that you have to monitor everything they do (and how long it takes them) and that many hospitals and other employers do not accept their records, requiring you to use their in-house credentialing. Read some of the SDN threads about FCVS for more information about the problems. I was never able to get them to change their documentation which had me as a Vascular Surgeon, nor issue me a refund because of their error.

If I am not mistaken, NY state requires FVCS for doctors who did not go to a NY medical school.

If I am not mistaken, NY state requires FVCS for doctors who did not go to a NY medical school.
Many states require or use FCVS.

My point was that even if the state requires it for licensure, not all credentialing committees do (i.e., hospitals) and that they are not as wonderful as the above poster made them seem.