NY Resident- 3.3 cGPA/sGPA 29Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conquerstife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know my chances of getting into a MD school. I am a 2nd time applicant. I volunteered at the ER shadowing doctors for two summers. Now I am doing research full time and later in the summer I am set to have an internship. If I do end up applying I would do more shadowing next year, hopefully with a clinical job (applied to some) and if not do some research + more shadowing.

I took the MCAT 3 times (...ugh) and if you take my highest scores I have a 30Q (11PS, 09V, 10BS). I really want to continue my education in US but I have been researching other options. I went to a pretty prestigious college that has been consistently ranked as one of the hardest universities in America. I don't know if that plays into it, my schools admissions likes to think it does I'm not too sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Your college won't matter. I don't know how friendly NY schools are for IS state applicants, but the fact is, you are competitive for DO and not really for MD. Not saying you can't get into MD, but you are below average everything by a good chunk and you have nothing to set you apart. Start looking into the DO path if you want to be a doctor within a reasonable timeline.

EDIT: Your college won't matter in your case. Sure a 3.8 from HYP vs a 3.8 no name, yes, but a 3.6 no name beats a 3.3 HYP.

I'm not saying that I went to a HYP school, just a widely recognized difficult school. That's a wide misconception that the top top schools are actually difficult since many keep their avg gpa high (sans some top tier schools like Princeton/MIT).

I am aware of the DO option, I just want to know my MD chances. Would much rather go to a NY state school anyway so if there is anyone who knows about my chances in those would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to tell your exact chances man but NY state schools have a high in state acceptance rate as far as I've seen.

My brother had the same or even lower stats than you with a 30 MCAT and got into all the SUNYs. Granted, URM status helped a lot I'm sure. But still, apply to Stony Brook, Upstate, and Downstate and apply EARLY and you should have a decent shot.

Did you apply to these schools your first time around?

I did apply to them last round but I did apply rather late and my MCAT was lower at that point.

....I would like a few more opinions if that would be ok so *bump*
*edit* ohI got into SGU but if there is any good chance I can at least get an interview at a state school I would really prefer to stay and continue my stuff here.

You could take an SMP or just additional grad courses to try to pull your GPA up and you'd be in a much better spot. If you insist on applying with the 3.3/29, to have a shot at MD you must must must send your AMCAS in opening day (or close), return secondaries ASAP, apply broadly (even though you want to stay in NY, apply to other OOS that are friendly to OOS applicants), and be on your game when it comes to your application (that means plenty of letters of interest, etc.. you have to show them why they should take you over someone with better stats, because you're a good bit below the national average for accepted applicants on both GPA and MCAT)..

my two cents, hope this helps