NY schools are Ca friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCaliBoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I have been poked around the forum for awhile now and have noticed some people say that NY schools are Ca friendly? I was curious as to what people mean by that statement, do they treat them like in-state or just better than other states that apply to their school.

Members don't see this ad.

Its true, NY has 17 med schools, last time I checked, Ca is the 2nd or 3rd most represented state at many of them. SUNY downstate, NYMC, albany, ect. This trend does not hold true for the manhattan schools however, which are just generally very competitive.

Hello I have been poked around the forum for awhile now and have noticed some people say that NY schools are Ca friendly? I was curious as to what people mean by that statement, do they treat them like in-state or just better than other states that apply to their school.

NYC schools are high achievers friendly. California has many, many such people and not enough schools to put them in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to med school one year as a CA resident & once as a NY resident. As a CA resident, I did not get any NY interviews, but I did as a NY resident. I didn't apply to public CA schools as a NY resident. Not sure if that's indicative of anything, of course.

My guess would be that NY schools do not have a preference for CA residents, rather there are a disproportionate number fo kids from CA going to NY for college & vice versa (having lived most of my life in LA & Manhattan, I felt like there were far more transplants & bi-coastals in both places compared to when I was in RI or UT). Many public schools show some preference for non-residents with "strong ties" to the state/region. A college student who is a CA resident by virtue of being a dependent of parents living in CA can be considered to have "strong ties" to NY if that's where he/she is in college, & I think there are a lot of applicants in exactly that situation.

Last edited: