NYC interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rk7k

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of NYC interviews coming up and was wondering if anyone had tips on where to stay. I need a hotel for a couple of days that is cheap, safe, and relatively centrally located to MSSM, cornell, columbia, NYU. I have student hosting for some nights.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Since Mt Sinai is on the Upper East, Columbia the Upper West, Cornell the mid-Upper East, and NYU the Midtown East, I would stay close to *one* of the schools and then train around to the rest. They are all readily accessible via the subway, so my advice would be minimize your distance to one and just switch lines for the rest. Be sure to call in advance and find out what the most effective method of line-switching is for each school (I believe to get to Mt Sinai, I took the Green line #6 which lets you off about 2-3 blocks from the school; I think Columbia is one of the last stops on the A train which goes through Penn Station; I walked from 33rd and 5th to NYU; and I've never been to Cornell).
If you're going to be staying with students hosts at 'some,' then I guess you don't need to worry about locations for those schools and since we're only talking about four schools, and assuming that 'some' implies at least 2, then theoretically you'll only be travelling to one school if you follow my advice.

Buena suerte.

You can take the number 6 train to Cornell, and you can also take either the 1 or the 9 to Columbia. The 1 and the 9 run on the west side while the 6 runs on the east. To switch, you would probably have to take either a bus or go down to Grand Central and shuttle over to Times Square. If you stay near Cornell, you could take the 4,5, or 6 up to 125th Street, and catch the M60. That'll take you right to Columbia. I'm sure that there are easier ways though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Tracy2006
If you stay near Cornell, you could take the 4,5, or 6 up to 125th Street, and catch the M60. That'll take you right to Columbia. I'm sure that there are easier ways though.

Keep in mind that Columbia med school is at 168th street, not 116th like the undergrad campus. You can take either Westside train 1/9 or A/C up to 168th.

Good luck!