NYC residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stinkyfeet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there anyone from NYCPM or in the New York area that can tell me which NY residency programs are competitive or high-powered.

I've heard that podiatrists that practice in NY are limited to the FF. I don't plan on living in NY but just doing a residency program there. How do I go about getting trained in RF and ankle surgery even though I were to do my training in NY?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

stinkyfeet said:
Hi,
Is there anyone from NYCPM or in the New York area that can tell me which NY residency programs are competitive or high-powered.

I've heard that podiatrists that practice in NY are limited to the FF. I don't plan on living in NY but just doing a residency program there. How do I go about getting trained in RF and ankle surgery even though I were to do my training in NY?

The scope of practice in NY is the foot - that includes 26 bones plus all the sesamoids. We cannot touch the ankle as a DPM but in residency you will get trained under other specialties so you have the full scope of a podiatric physician to practice anywhere in the country - so they say.

Let me repeat this - the scope of practice for NY pods is forefoot and rearfoot. It is everything below the ankle.

SO if you did a residency program in NY you could sit for either board as long as it is a 3 year program.

I do not know all the good programs in NY but here are a few in no particular order...

Cabrini
Long Island Jewish
Mount Sinai
Wyckoff

I'm sure other programs are good too.

There are also some pretty good programs in Jersey.

stinkyfeet said:
Hi,

Podiatrists that practice in NY are NOT limited to FF. They just can't touch the tibia. Arthroscopic ankles are still in scope.
As a resident you are not limited to any scope. When you rotate through vascular surgery you can do the bypass (obviously if the attending lets you).

As far as rearfoot/ankle, in any of the "high powered" programs you will be trained in ankles and rearfoot. I know that LIJ, Sinia, and Wycoff all have great relationships with the orthopedic departments in their respective hospitals, and you get your ankle cases from the orthopods.

I would add Methodist and St. Vincents Catholic Medical Center to Krabmas's list but I'd take off Cabrini.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for your quick response. Your information has been very helpful!

Krabmas, could you tell me which of the Jersey programs you'd recommend.

Thanks again

stinkyfeet said:
Thanks guys for your quick response. Your information has been very helpful!

Krabmas, could you tell me which of the Jersey programs you'd recommend.

Thanks again

Bon Secours Hospital, Hoboken
Morristown Memorial Hospital, Morristown
St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston
UMDNJ/University Hospital, Newark

I'm sure there are people that will disagree.
a note about UMDNJ - it is great for learning which is why many students at NYCPM spend a month of senior surgery there. It has gone unmatched pretty often because of personality issues from what I hear. I will spend a month there in october so I can let you know more after that.

Just because a program is not on my list or anyone else's does not mean that you might not be happy there. As much as reputation is important so is personality. choosing a residency is alot about where you will be happy and in what environment you learn best.

Where are you going to pod school, Stinkyfeet?

oops...I'm in the wrong forum....

Generallee said:
oops...I'm in the wrong forum....

Hey get out of the pod forum! :laugh: That was my husband...he belongs to the dental forum!

Krabmas - I'm at OCPM c/o 2007. Thanks for your insight! Let me know how the UMDNJ goes for you....

stinkyfeet said:
Hey get out of the pod forum! :laugh: That was my husband...he belongs to the dental forum!

Krabmas - I'm at OCPM c/o 2007. Thanks for your insight! Let me know how the UMDNJ goes for you....

where are you doing clerkships next year?

So far I'm only externing at the Ohio programs: St. Vincent's, Grant Medical Center and OSU.

I'll have to try to visit couple of the programs down in New York.

Thanks for all your help!

stinkyfeet said:
So far I'm only externing at the Ohio programs: St. Vincent's, Grant Medical Center and OSU.

I'll have to try to visit couple of the programs down in New York.

Thanks for all your help!

If you need names let me know. I probably know at least 1 resident at each program since NYCPM matched so many in NY this year.

Do you know what hospital or residency program Dr. Armstrong is affiliated with?

krabmas said:
If you need names let me know. I probably know at least 1 resident at each program since NYCPM matched so many in NY this year.

Do you know what hospital or residency program Dr. Armstrong is affiliated with?

I've never heard of Dr. Armstrong. Is he from NY or Ohio?

stinkyfeet said:

Dr. Armstrong is the research director at Scholl School of Podiatric Medicine. By the way, you are externing at some of excellent programs in Ohio.

stinkyfeet said:

Wow, that is liking saying I've never heard of Peyton Manning. I think he plays for the Lions. :laugh:

dpmgrad said:
Dr. Armstrong is the research director at Scholl School of Podiatric Medicine. By the way, you are externing at some of excellent programs in Ohio.

I got the ohio and chicago schools confused. woops :confused:

they are both in the midwest (all the same out there) :laugh:

Unfortunately I won't be staying in Ohio...I plan on doing my residency in NY because of my husband.

If I could extern only at a couple of places in NY, which one's should I do? There are way too many choices and so little time.

Thanks

stinkyfeet said:
Unfortunately I won't be staying in Ohio...I plan on doing my residency in NY because of my husband.

If I could extern only at a couple of places in NY, which one's should I do? There are way too many choices and so little time.

Thanks

A few questions for you first... where in NY is your husband.

NYC?

or NY state?

then which part of the city ir state.

If you want to live with him this makes a big difference. I think most residencies want you to live within like 20 minutes to the hospital (some might not).

The location thing should narrow down your choice alot.

My husband will like to live in the city around midtown east, gramercy or Murray hill. He'll be starting at NYU this fall.

For myself I would like to be in a program that will train me to be the best podiatrist I can be whereever the program may be. :)

stinkyfeet said:
My husband will like to live in the city around midtown east, gramercy or Murray hill. He'll be starting at NYU this fall.

For myself I would like to be in a program that will train me to be the best podiatrist I can be whereever the program may be. :)

will you have a car or do public transportation?

Cabrini is down there even though some people think it is not that great.

the programs in jersey may take too long to get to w/or without a car.

wyckoff is in brooklyn which might be like 30min commute train or car depending on traffic and construction (car and train).

actually if I wanted to stay in NY I'd definitely go to Mount Sinai