NYCOM Acceptance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Anyone else get one in the mail?

Members don't see this ad.

HunterGatherer said:
Good for you!! So is this your top choice? :D

No, DMU is. However, there are so many things to think about when picking a school so I am not counting anything out right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
got accepted today!! top choice!!

USArmyDoc said:
Hey guys,

congrats all! for those who were accepted, are you from NY?

i got mine today as well!!! im from ny :luck: :love: :eek:

what were your stats like if you dont mind?

I got mine! I am from NY.

:love: Yay! I received my letter from NYCOM in the mail yesterday! I am from Long Island, and it's my top choice. What a relief-- and a great New Year's present! Congrats potential classmates!

Oh no, I am worry because I didn't get anything yesterday in the mail. Have been waiting for the mail the past three weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the letter arrive? Is it certified? What time? Oh, I am so worry cause this is the only school that I had interview so far and I have not heard from them. I am so weary!

Congrats USArmyDoc!

How much is the deposit for NYCOM, and is it refundable?

Apparition said:
Congrats USArmyDoc!

How much is the deposit for NYCOM, and is it refundable?
"A non-refundable Advance Admissions Fee of $500 is required to be paid to confirm a place in the class, according to the following schedule:
Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
Those accepted between January 15 and April 1 will have 14 days.

An additional non-refundable $1,000.00 Enrollment Confirmation Payment is also required to be paid, according to the following schedule:
Those accepted prior to April 1st should make the Confiramtion Payment by May 1.
Those accepted after April1st will be required to submit a combined payment of $1,500.00."

PlasticMan said:
"A non-refundable Advance Admissions Fee of $500 is required to be paid to confirm a place in the class, according to the following schedule:
Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
Those accepted between January 15 and April 1 will have 14 days.

An additional non-refundable $1,000.00 Enrollment Confirmation Payment is also required to be paid, according to the following schedule:
Those accepted prior to April 1st should make the Confiramtion Payment by May 1.
Those accepted after April1st will be required to submit a combined payment of $1,500.00."

This is crazy, sort of. What if someone chooses to go to another school? Are you guys who are accepted sending the deposit thinking that you'll definitely attend? or that you'll just lose 1.5K if you get into a school you liked more in May?

Apparition said:
This is crazy, sort of. What if someone chooses to go to another school? Are you guys who are accepted sending the deposit thinking that you'll definitely attend? or that you'll just lose 1.5K if you get into a school you liked more in May?
Other schools request $2k non-refundable deposits! :eek:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still hoping for an interview :)

I just went to the mailbox and got a letter from NYCOM. I have been accepted !!!!!! I still can't not believe it. The letter was not certified or anything special so I still can not believe it.

I feel validated! I only had this interview and they are offering me a seat in the 2006 class. I feel so validated and that someone wants me!

I still can not believe it. I keep reading the letter over and over again just to make sure.

dude11 said:
I just went to the mailbox and got a letter from NYCOM. I have been accepted !!!!!! I still can't not believe it. The letter was not certified or anything special so I still can not believe it.

I feel validated! I only had this interview and they are offering me a seat in the 2006 class. I feel so validated and that someone wants me!

I still can not believe it. I keep reading the letter over and over again just to make sure.
Stats?

dude11 said:

I am going back to read the letter again. I want to hang it up to show that it can be done!

dude11 said:
I am going back to read the letter again. I want to hang it up to show that it can be done!

My Stats are:

MCAT 26 R
Science 3.85
Overall 3.71

dude11 said:
My Stats are:

MCAT 26 R
Science 3.85
Overall 3.71

I will be turning 28 in four months. Oh man, my bachelor degree is in accounting and I had to spend two years post bac working on requirements and take the MCAT twice. I got 21 O first time and have been debating if I should take it for a third time this coming April. I have been receiving rejections and just this one interview so far and it wasn't looking good.

dude11 said:
I will be turning 28 in four months. Oh man, my bachelor degree is in accounting and I had to spend two years post bac working on requirements and take the MCAT twice. I got 21 O first time and have been debating if I should take it for a third time this coming April. I have been receiving rejections and just this one interview so far and it wasn't looking good.
Thanks for posting your stats. Receiving rejections pre-interview with a 3.71/26R ?! :eek: Were the rejections from allopathic or osteopathic schools? Oh, congrats BTW. :)

PlasticMan said:
Thanks for posting your stats. Receiving rejections pre-interview with a 3.71/26R ?! :eek: Were the rejections from allopathic or osteopathic schools? Oh, congrats BTW. :)

I got rejected by a lot of the allopathic schools. Even the lower tier schools rejected me. I am still waiting for NJM SOM and PCOM but I don't know if that will be in time for the deadline for NYCOM.

dude11 said:
I got rejected by a lot of the allopathic schools. Even the lower tier schools rejected me. I am still waiting for NJM SOM and PCOM but I don't know if that will be in time for the deadline for NYCOM.
I have stats slightly lower than yours: 3.5/25M and sound almost in the same boat except I have no acceptances or interviews yet. Been complete at allopathic schools since early november and haven't heard a peep from them except 1 rejection. Now waiting on the DO schools round here - nycom,pcom umdnj:som. *fhew* When I read your post I thought you meant you had been rejected from alot of DO schools with those stats :eek: That would have given me a scare. lol.

PlasticMan said:
I have stats slightly lower than yours: 3.5/25M and sound almost in the same boat except I have no acceptances or interviews yet. Been complete at allopathic schools since early november and haven't heard a peep from them except 1 rejection. Now waiting on the DO schools round here - nycom,pcom umdnj:som. *fhew* When I read your post I thought you meant you had been rejected from alot of DO schools with those stats :eek: That would have given me a scare. lol.

The allopathic schools were quick to reject me. They were state schools and some private. But I have like 10 more allopathic schools that I have not heard from and they are more competitive schools. I never imagined applying to medical school can be so draining.

dude11 said:
The allopathic schools were quick to reject me. They were state schools and some private. But I have like 10 more allopathic schools that I have not heard from and they are more competitive schools. I never imagined applying to medical school can be so draining.
Yeah man, I hear you. I applied to ~20 schools. It's very draining and wears on your patience waiting months for them to even offer an interview! :scared:

How long were you complete at NYCOM before they offered interview? I would love to get even 1 interview under my belt :(

PlasticMan said:
Yeah man, I hear you. I applied to ~20 schools. It's very draining and wears on your patience waiting months for them to even offer an interview! :scared:

I applied to almost the same amount of schools. I was complete allopathic in mid september and osteopathic in early october. I was waiting for the mail everyday for the past three weeks and the hardest thing for me was I wanted the schools to give me a decision either way so that I can move on and make plans and not be obssessed over it. I had six different undergrad transcripts and it was so bureacratic getting them through to aamcas and aacomas.

dude11 said:
I applied to almost the same amount of schools. I was complete allopathic in mid september and osteopathic in early october. I was waiting for the mail everyday for the past three weeks and the hardest thing for me was I wanted the schools to give me a decision either way so that I can move on and make plans and not be obssessed over it. I had six different undergrad transcripts and it was so bureacratic getting them through to aamcas and aacomas.
Haha, sounds exactly like me. Once I got back my august MCAT score, I started to look into Osteopathic schools and realized they're pretty much equivalent. Doesn't matter to me so long as I can become a surgeon :)

PlasticMan said:
Haha, sounds exactly like me. Once I got back my august MCAT score, I started to look into Osteopathic schools and realized they're pretty much equivalent. Doesn't matter to me so long as I can become a surgeon :)

what kind of surgeon plasticman?

anyone complete in october already interview at nycom?

USArmyDoc said:
Hey guys,

yay! i got mine in the mail yesterday! my top choice!

stats:
3.4 overall
3.25 science
27O mcat

christinejane19 said:
yay! i got mine in the mail yesterday! my top choice!

stats:
3.4 overall
3.25 science
27O mcat

Very nice to hear. Im about the same stats like yours, but I will take the MCAT and apply next cycle. This is encouraging for me. Congratulations, your gonna be a DOCTOR!! :thumbup:

HunterGatherer said:
Ummm, one of you slackers is supposed to make a "NYCOM class of 2010" thread. :cool:

shenningDO,
No more long drives to interviews for you. :D

YOU BET! No more driving at all... except to find a place to live :)

Congrats to all of you who received acceptances from NYCOM!! I knew Shenningdo would be pleasantly surprised post-xmas! Guess you won't be at orientation with me up at UNECOM this coming summer. Oh well, at least we're all getting our top choices!
Happy New Year to you all!
Cheers,

fozziewan said:
Congrats to all of you who received acceptances from NYCOM!! I knew Shenningdo would be pleasantly surprised post-xmas! Guess you won't be at orientation with me up at UNECOM this coming summer. Oh well, at least we're all getting our top choices!
Happy New Year to you all!
Cheers,

For those who are going to NYCOM, what is the deadline date they gave you? How are you going to finance medical school? I am now trying to figure out how to pay med school because I am broke from doing my post bac. I am not getting support from my parents because this is my personal endeavor and they are working ontheir retirements. I was talking to a doctor yesterday about how medical school cost has soared tremendously since a decade ago when he went to school and he was telling me its a big decision because he said for every dollar you borrow, you will be paying four times that amount in the future. He was saying for example if you borrow 200 k, you will be in debt for 800k throughout the life of the loan. He also said that salary in general and also for doctors have not been increasing to catch up with the cost of living, school, etc and that its a huge commitment financially and he doesn't really know if its worth it if financially a person can not get a good enough return from the education to pay back the loan and live well.

I ask him why then are there so many med applicants and that even more competitive then a decade ago to get into med school. He said its probably mainly for job security. So I am still trying to make a decision and going through in my head all the factors involved in the med school process. I believe that if its not financially worthly to pursue med school, then its like a person is going into debt just to have job security. Its like paying a huge advance for job security (80 hours a week and zero sleep).

I was an accounting major so I am going to start crunching the numbers.

What are you thoughts? Let me know what is going through your mind?

Thanks

dude11 said:
For those who are going to NYCOM, what is the deadline date they gave you? How are you going to finance medical school? I am now trying to figure out how to pay med school because I am broke from doing my post bac. I am not getting support from my parents because this is my personal endeavor and they are working ontheir retirements. I was talking to a doctor yesterday about how medical school cost has soared tremendously since a decade ago when he went to school and he was telling me its a big decision because he said for every dollar you borrow, you will be paying four times that amount in the future. He was saying for example if you borrow 200 k, you will be in debt for 800k throughout the life of the loan. He also said that salary in general and also for doctors have not been increasing to catch up with the cost of living, school, etc and that its a huge commitment financially and he doesn't really know if its worth it if financially a person can not get a good enough return from the education to pay back the loan and live well.

I ask him why then are there so many med applicants and that even more competitive then a decade ago to get into med school. He said its probably mainly for job security. So I am still trying to make a decision and going through in my head all the factors involved in the med school process. I believe that if its not financially worthly to pursue med school, then its like a person is going into debt just to have job security. Its like paying a huge advance for job security (80 hours a week and zero sleep).

I was an accounting major so I am going to start crunching the numbers.

What are you thoughts? Let me know what is going through your mind?

Thanks

Honestly, I can't believe you are crunching numbers. Yes, it is expensive but you knew this when you applied! If medicine is what you want to do then you should take loans. I am just surprised to hear this out of an accepted candidate.

You should look at some online loan calculators. I think paying back 4x is probably not correct and it's closer to 1.9x for a 20 year(I have no idea what actual time you have to pay back) loan. That's still a lot of money but a big difference compared to 4x projections.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/popcalc2.asp

At the Open House the Fin Aid rep said that NYCOM sets your expected cost of tuition at $58-$62K. She also said nobody had to leave NYCOM because of financial reasons and they will make sure you do not need to work and go to school. Was the financial aid rep at your interview? I heard that they skipped this portion of the interview presentation on one of the interviews.

Also UMDNJ and some other state schools are relatively less expensive.

Yea I seriously doubt that it is 4X your actual loan. I've spoke to numerous docs and they say repayment isnt that bad. (FP docs) They just told me its like another mortgage. (2K a month for 10 years pays off 200K in loans)

Just set your financial priorities and repayment should be a breeze. (Dont go straight out of residency and buy a 2 million dollar home)

Just my .13 cents

It took me many years to be comfortable taking out loans for school. Luckily I finally got over it 1.5 years ago and now go to school full time. I wasted many years going part time and being "debt free". Some people just need to come to terms with the financial sacrifice that is needed to get your education.

USArmyDoc said:
Honestly, I can't believe you are crunching numbers. Yes, it is expensive but you knew this when you applied! If medicine is what you want to do then you should take loans. I am just surprised to hear this out of an accepted candidate.

HunterGatherer said:
It took me many years to be comfortable taking out loans for school. Luckily I finally got over it 1.5 years ago and now go to school full time. I wasted many years going part time and being "debt free". Some people just need to come to terms with the financial sacrifice that is needed to get your education.

Absolutely, I understand that. However, don't ya think he would of considered this BEFORE applying, interviewing, and eventually gaining acceptance. Maybe that is just me, I don't know. I investigate things and try to know to the best of my ability what I am getting myself into.

Very true, but there is always the story of the student that drops out of med school during orientation. I think 2nd thoughts about this process will happen to all of us between now and the last day of residency. Good luck everyone.

USArmyDoc said:
Absolutely, I understand that. However, don't ya think he would of considered this BEFORE applying, interviewing, and eventually gaining acceptance. Maybe that is just me, I don't know. I investigate things and try to know to the best of my ability what I am getting myself into.

HunterGatherer said:
Very true, but there is always the story of the student that drops out of med school during orientation. I think 2nd thoughts about this process will happen to all of us between now and the last day of residency. Good luck everyone.

True and I probably was being harsh. I did not realize he was 28 and in no way am I saying that is old but loans are more of a factor when you are 28 as opposed to being 20 like me. I'll have my 20's to pay them off.

hey guys....i received the letter and it said send in $1500 for admission deposit....do u guys know if we need to send the whole thing by within 30 days or can we send $500 first?...thanks and congrat to all....