NYCOM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eilat87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all fellow future nycomers! wheres everybody from? brooklyn here!

Members don't see this ad.

QUEENS!

do you know when we should be receiving our letters of acceptance?

i think someone said letters start mailing out today.. do you plan on just commuting to westbury everyday?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i do, i live like 25 mins away from the school with no traffic. during the interview i heard most people live 15 minutes away from school. that extra 10 minutes won't kill me, and i'll get to save a lot of money.

what about you?

yeah i plan to live with my folks.. save about 7-8000 maybe more a year. a big number.

QUEENS!

do you know when we should be receiving our letters of acceptance?

When I called nycom on Friday they said that they mailed them out then, so I'm assuming that they should arrive either this upcoming week or the next.

Just wondering if there's any 11/17 morning session interviewees here? It'd be cool to know how everybody ended up!

Howdy all. My girlfriend is applying to NYCOM; her interview is in late January. I'm already perseverating since I'm tied to the NYC area for work reasons. Does anyone know how long it takes for NYCOM to get back to applicants after their interview? I'd like to know how many weeks of stress I have in store for me.

Edit: Strange to look back at this. She got pregnant and had an abortion. It wrecked me. She thinks the kid was better off aborted. I think about the kid all the time.

Last edited:
Just wondering if there's any 11/17 morning session interviewees here? It'd be cool to know how everybody ended up!

Hey! I totally remember you! :) (I was the female sitting across the table from you in the conference room...I talked...a lot). I thought NYCOM was awesome but I have chosen to attend elsewhere. Congrats on your acceptance and I wish you the best of luck!! I'm sure you'll do great!

Howdy all. My girlfriend is applying to NYCOM; her interview is in late January. I'm already perseverating since I'm tied to the NYC area for work reasons. Does anyone know how long it takes for NYCOM to get back to applicants after their interview? I'd like to know how many weeks of stress I have in store for me...:scared:

I interviewed 11/17...heard back 12/16. They send letters out in batches though. It seemed like people that interviewed from 11/5-12/4(?) all received their letters around the same time.

Just tell her that it seems the 96% acceptance rate following interview seems to be holding true. Haven't heard of anyone getting rejected from NYCOM yet. Maybe that will rid her of some stress. Also - tell her to keep an eye on here from students possibly canceling interviews. If they cancel she may be able to get earlier in Jan.

Hey! I totally remember you! :) (I was the female sitting across the table from you in the conference room...I talked...a lot). I thought NYCOM was awesome but I have chosen to attend elsewhere. Congrats on your acceptance and I wish you the best of luck!! I'm sure you'll do great!

Hahhaha small world! Best of luck to you too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 11/17...heard back 12/16. They send letters out in batches though. It seemed like people that interviewed from 11/5-12/4(?) all received their letters around the same time.

Just tell her that it seems the 96% acceptance rate following interview seems to be holding true. Haven't heard of anyone getting rejected from NYCOM yet. Maybe that will rid her of some stress. Also - tell her to keep an eye on here from students possibly canceling interviews. If they cancel she may be able to get earlier in Jan.

Thanks, appreciate the info. Best of luck.

Did anyone's deposit get cashed yet? Thanks

hey guys! does anybody know of some good living situations by the school yet, perhaps in glen cove? nycom is close to home for me but i might want to be with other students. thanks and congrats to the class of 2014!

hi, does anyone know what to do next after sending in the requirements acceptance sheet and deposit? when do we file fafsa, when do we send official final transcripts? when do we get the financial aid packet from them? before or after we file for fafsa? and for fafsa, we just put NYIT? nycom? is there a school code? thanks

hi, does anyone know what to do next after sending in the requirements acceptance sheet and deposit? when do we file fafsa, when do we send official final transcripts? when do we get the financial aid packet from them? before or after we file for fafsa? and for fafsa, we just put NYIT? nycom? is there a school code? thanks

Hi. Welcome to Earth :)

You file the FAFSA as soon as your income taxes are done, since you'll need that information. While filling out the FAFSA, you can search for the school. Just enter "New York osteopathic" and it will come up. After the school receives your FAFSA, it will do its magic and send you a financial aid packet.

All official final transcripts from schools you've attended I read are due no later than July 15th.

Hello everyone.

I had an interview with the school in Feb and am on travel for the past week. What does the acceptance letter (package) look like so I could call home and inquire it?

Thank you.
:)

Has anyone received anything from the Financial Aid office after filling out their FAFSA? If yes, how long after the FAFSA was submitted? Thanks everyone.

Has anyone received anything from the Financial Aid office after filling out their FAFSA? If yes, how long after the FAFSA was submitted? Thanks everyone.

I answered you in the pre-osteo forum, but its prob better to just continue the convo here. lol

I submitted my FAFSA in early January and have yet to hear anything back. I'll probably wait until the end of March or early April to send them an e-mail asking about the timeline for loans, financial aid packages, etc. Let me know if you hear anything!

Congratulations to you guys, the next 4 years will pass quickly and be challenging but you will also really enjoy them. If any of you guys have any questions feel free to post here or you can PM me. Also, have many books from NYCOM if any of you are interested let me know and I will send you a list of books and prices. Enjoy - and find time to relax!

I just sent my deposit in today. Interviewed 2/9, accepted 3/11. I know there is alot of advice saying not to study before med school, but i did not take A&P during undergrad because it never fit in my schedule. I was wondering if there was any advice to prepare for anatomy. Thanks

I just sent my deposit in today. Interviewed 2/9, accepted 3/11. I know there is alot of advice saying not to study before med school, but i did not take A&P during undergrad because it never fit in my schedule. I was wondering if there was any advice to prepare for anatomy. Thanks

If you REALLY want to study before school, then I would suggest getting Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy. Do not attempt to memorize anything, but use it to get accustomed to the way dissected bodies look and some of the terminology you will encounter. Many students have not taken anatomy beforehand and have done just as well as those who have; I wouldn't worry about it.

But again, don't do any hardcore studying; try to relax!

P.S. If they ask you to read Bates over the summer (like they did for my class last year), don't bother. Read it out of interest if you want to, but there's nothing there you need to know before starting school.

did anyone get their nyit email addresses?

Congrats on the acceptance! I hope the next 4 years will be productive and successful!:thumbup:
Does anyone plan to apply to DPC program?

Hey all, congrats on getting into NYCOM! I'm a fellow NYCOMer graduating this May. I have TONS of books for sale for really cheap and I'm sure many of the books on my list will be helpful for your studies over the next 4 years. This link should take you there: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=712782 Or else you can find the list under the classifieds/for sale section here on SDN. PM me if you have any questions or anything and good luck!!! :) (By the way, I did the traditional curriculum, the fellowship and I matched surgery so if you have any questions about any of the above feel free to ask.)

Hey everyone! I'm from Queens, just got my acceptance letter on Friday! :)
Super excited, can't wait to find out more!

I answered you in the pre-osteo forum, but its prob better to just continue the convo here. lol

I submitted my FAFSA in early January and have yet to hear anything back. I'll probably wait until the end of March or early April to send them an e-mail asking about the timeline for loans, financial aid packages, etc. Let me know if you hear anything!

Sorry for my delayed response, I called the financial aid office and they told me that they haven't sent anything out to current students or new ones and won't for a while. I'm kind of nervous because I really want to make sure that everything works out with the loans. Hmm I guess we all just have to wait. I'm considering calling them again in the next 2 weeks.

If they're saying that they have yet to send out anything and won't be for a while - probably not until they finish filling the class, then why keep calling and pestering them?

Sorry, but that's the best way to get on their bad side and have your paperwork delayed. Trust me on this, I know people who work in those administrative offices.

Hey guys, I just received my acceptance on friday 3/26. Im from east northport long island. I hope everyone is excited about starting. Does anyone know when classes will start?

:highfive:

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just received my acceptance on friday 3/26. Im from east northport long island. I hope everyone is excited about starting. Does anyone know when classes will start?

Hi,

I wanted to see when you interview was, just so I can get an idea when I'm going to hear back. Thanks

Hi,

I wanted to see when you interview was, just so I can get an idea when I'm going to hear back. Thanks

yep we interviewed 3/3 and heard back 3/26, I'd give it 3/4 weeks.

Does anyone know any good places to get information about loans and all that good stuff lol Its sad to say, but I pretty much have little to no clue about the different types of loans and how to get them. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Does anyone know any good places to get information about loans and all that good stuff lol Its sad to say, but I pretty much have little to no clue about the different types of loans and how to get them. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Basically we'll be getting "GradPlus" loans. For details, a good place to start would be googling "medical school loans". Other than that, the school financial aid office is very helpful. I recently went down there to ask some questions and the staff members were extremely accommodating and knowledgeable. I walked out of there with a very clear idea of what to do.

Hi everyone!

We're graduating 4th years from nycom and we just wanted to congratulate you on being accepted to NYCOM. It's going to be a hard couple of years, but always keep in mind that you ARE in medical school (as opposed to the many who are not) and that you'll get through it all!

If you have any questions, or want some advice, please feel free to message us! we're also selling a bunch of books - textbooks, board review books, and clinical rotation books - so feel free to take a glance at the list of book we used to get to where we are heading off to now, allopathic IM residency!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=718152

Hi,
I know this was a few years ago for you but I interviewed for NYCOM in march and just got my letter today saying I was waitlisted. Do you know a lot of students who attend now that were initially waitlisted or know any statistics about how many of these students get accepted?
Thanks for your help
Lauryn

Hi everyone!

We're graduating 4th years from nycom and we just wanted to congratulate you on being accepted to NYCOM. It's going to be a hard couple of years, but always keep in mind that you ARE in medical school (as opposed to the many who are not) and that you'll get through it all!

If you have any questions, or want some advice, please feel free to message us! we're also selling a bunch of books - textbooks, board review books, and clinical rotation books - so feel free to take a glance at the list of book we used to get to where we are heading off to now, allopathic IM residency!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=718152

Hi nycomgrads, im very interested in the apartment but I am not looking to move until the last week of July.. I didnt know if that was too late in the future :xf:

Just to give everyone a heads up. I e-mailed Financial Aid yesterday and this is what they told me:

.. ..
Once the Admission’s department gives out department a definitive list of applicants. We will be sending out a bulk mailing to the class of 2014. (I would believe we are looking out mail packages sometime between the end of this month and the beginning of May; based on prior years). As of now hopefully, you have completed your 2010-2011 FAFSA with our school code E00546, and you have sat down and planned out a rudimentary budget.

So hopefully it won't be too much longer.

I am going to need to get a new laptop before august. i was thinking of getting a mac with bootcamp so I could still have windows too. I dont really know too much about the difference between windows on a pc and windows on a mac virus-wise. Also, does anyone know if I would be able to have windows media player for the lectures??