NYCOM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys....for financial aid refund checks, how exactly does that work. Do we get a large lump sum refund when school starts or is it broken down into many payments, and if it is, what is the schedule for that.
thanks

You get two disbursements; half when you begin the year, and the other half in January.

Members don't see this ad.

They start sending out award packages at the end of July, that's what the office told me. You should call the office about your other issue.

wow really... doesn't that seem really late, especially since you have to pay them by the time we start ~Aug 13th?? I know a student at another med school who has had their package and financial aid stuff worked out since the end of may.

I know no one has gotten their stuff... but what about students that are counting on that loan money to put down their first month's rent in early August or late July. It seems like they're cutting it pretty close.

wow really... doesn't that seem really late, especially since you have to pay them by the time we start ~Aug 13th?? I know a student at another med school who has had their package and financial aid stuff worked out since the end of may.

I know no one has gotten their stuff... but what about students that are counting on that loan money to put down their first month's rent in early August or late July. It seems like they're cutting it pretty close.

You will need to have another financial source until about 2 weeks into class, at which point you should receive your first disbursement. It sucks, but that's how it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, still no financial packages yet...??!!?

They weren't kidding about "late July"

Hey guys...for the financial aid refund, is the sallie mae debit card nycom recommends faster than the regular check refund? Also, how exactly do we get the financial refund, do we pick up the check/card at the bursar office on the first day of class or are they mailed to our home address.
thanks for the help

what are people doing about computers? why exactly do we need windows? am i not gonna be able to do anything with a mac?

Hey guys...for the financial aid refund, is the sallie mae debit card nycom recommends faster than the regular check refund? Also, how exactly do we get the financial refund, do we pick up the check/card at the bursar office on the first day of class or are they mailed to our home address.
thanks for the help

Whatever you choose, you will be mailed the check or card. No one I know chose the card, and I wouldn't suggest it. I believe it had extra fees and it's far easier to just deposit the check into your own bank (and use your own debit card).

what are people doing about computers? why exactly do we need windows? am i not gonna be able to do anything with a mac?

Plenty of people in my class have used macs this previous year. They did run into some issues in terms of streaming the lecture videos and such, but there were special programs that allowed them to do so. I don't really know the details, but if you really want a mac, then go for it.

anyone mind posting the exam/class schedule? i still haven't gotten my id info and i might have to continue working part time for the about the first month so i'd like to try and figure out how to work around my class schedule.

thanks!

Plenty of people in my class have used macs this previous year. They did run into some issues in terms of streaming the lecture videos and such, but there were special programs that allowed them to do so. I don't really know the details, but if you really want a mac, then go for it.

what type of file do the lecture videos come as?

anyone mind posting the exam/class schedule? i still haven't gotten my id info and i might have to continue working part time for the about the first month so i'd like to try and figure out how to work around my class schedule.

thanks!

Fun stuff :)

Attachments

• Course Schedule (2010-2011 Academic Year) - Class of 2014.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 244
what type of file do the lecture videos come as?

I have a mac as well. The videos come as Windows Media File. I googled how to watch it on a mac, you just have to download:
Flip4Mac Windows Media Components for QuickTime 2.3.2.6

It was off the apple website

where r u guys finding all this information?
also how do we log into webboard?
I think I lost that sheet they sent us in the mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
‎1 room available in Glen Cove on Forest Ave.: 3 bedroom apartment, with full kitchen, and common area. Located in a building above a doctors office, in safe quiet neighborhood. 10 min. from school. $550/month, and we spit electric and internet, which does not come out to be much. 4th year medical student will be living in one of the ...rooms next year. If you are interested or want to find out more about the place contact Nancy at: 516-446-3894.

anyone know what books from the booklist we should get? like which are the most used, and the ones we def need for the beginning of school?

anyone still looking for housing/roommates? I only got in last week so I'm just starting to look...

Hey guys, this is a broad question, but would anyone have an estimate as to how much utilities comes out to for a 3br apartment paying gas and electric with central ac and electric heat?
Im trying to figure out around how much ill end up paying.
thanks for any help

anyone know what books from the booklist we should get? like which are the most used, and the ones we def need for the beginning of school?

to be honest, you really don't need to buy any books because, i believe its two copies of required books are kept on reserve in the library. Most of what is tested/needs to be learned is covered in class and if you want to reference a textbook you can always take it out in the library (for 3 hours at a time).....of course with this you run the risk of the book being used by someone else.

-you will DEFINITELY need the dissector for anatomy lab...it will be ur guideline for dissecting and bolded terms are fair game for anatomy exams. -Some also benefited from anatomy atlases, altho that depends on how you learn...for me personally i never had one and didn't need it because I studied soo much from the bodies in lab.
-For anatomy lecture I used gray's and i loved this book...although you don't need need it, and at times that book can be in more depth than necessary, I used it a bunch of times and would recommend it.
-Bates is also good to have...altho I do know people who never bought bates and just sometimes borrowed others to read assignments for DPR. Quiz questions for DPR and sometimes test questions generally come from there, but they also may come from lecture notes.
-An osteopathic approach to diagnosis and treatment...this book was really good to have at the beginning of OMM...but by the end I hardly used it. The best study guides for OMM quizzes/tests are the videos online and the power points.

when it comes down to it....some people learn really well from textbooks, others do not. I was happy with my decision to buy some books, but it all depends on the person. also, some people may be weak in certain subjects and want to buy the book in that area. i personally would recommend buying the bare minimum of books until you are certain you really will need/use it. It sucks when you pay a lot for a book and then hardly use it. Books can be a great resource if they fit with your learning style..and remember you can always use them in the library if need be! Also remember that whoever you ask will have a different opinion so just try and figure out what works for you..whether that be 1 book or 100 books.

Hope this helps!

Hey guys, this is a broad question, but would anyone have an estimate as to how much utilities comes out to for a 3br apartment paying gas and electric with central ac and electric heat?
Im trying to figure out around how much ill end up paying.
thanks for any help

Electric usually runs between $90-120, Gas (with gas heat, never heard of an electric heated house before...) $40 without heat - $200 with heat, Cable/ Internet/ phone (optimum triple play $100) All amounts are per month, This is just what I have used in the area, different people and room mates use different amounts... Hope it helps

to be honest, you really don't need to buy any books because, i believe its two copies of required books are kept on reserve in the library. Most of what is tested/needs to be learned is covered in class and if you want to reference a textbook you can always take it out in the library (for 3 hours at a time).....of course with this you run the risk of the book being used by someone else.

-you will DEFINITELY need the dissector for anatomy lab...it will be ur guideline for dissecting and bolded terms are fair game for anatomy exams. -Some also benefited from anatomy atlases, altho that depends on how you learn...for me personally i never had one and didn't need it because I studied soo much from the bodies in lab.
-For anatomy lecture I used gray's and i loved this book...although you don't need need it, and at times that book can be in more depth than necessary, I used it a bunch of times and would recommend it.
-Bates is also good to have...altho I do know people who never bought bates and just sometimes borrowed others to read assignments for DPR. Quiz questions for DPR and sometimes test questions generally come from there, but they also may come from lecture notes.
-An osteopathic approach to diagnosis and treatment...this book was really good to have at the beginning of OMM...but by the end I hardly used it. The best study guides for OMM quizzes/tests are the videos online and the power points.

when it comes down to it....some people learn really well from textbooks, others do not. I was happy with my decision to buy some books, but it all depends on the person. also, some people may be weak in certain subjects and want to buy the book in that area. i personally would recommend buying the bare minimum of books until you are certain you really will need/use it. It sucks when you pay a lot for a book and then hardly use it. Books can be a great resource if they fit with your learning style..and remember you can always use them in the library if need be! Also remember that whoever you ask will have a different opinion so just try and figure out what works for you..whether that be 1 book or 100 books.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the great advice! I was nervous about having to buy all the textbooks, but now I'll just buy them as I need them and continue to look for advice like yours regarding which ones are beneficial to have. Thanks again! :)

Hey everyone,
Congrats on being accepted to NYCOM. I am posting a message about a 2 bedroom apartment for rent down the street from NYCOM.
It's a cozy 2 bedroom apt--one bedroom is really small and the other one is normal sized--clean, carpeted--the best thing is being less than a minute from school. The landlady is really nice--she's only rented to NYCOMers for the past 10 years. I spent 3 out of 4 years there with another NYCOMer. The guy in the apt behind this one (it's a big house converted into 3 apartments) is a NYCOM grad who just finished his neurosurgery residency at Northshore. There are NYCOMers living all along this block. There is a Pathmark grocery store, shell station with a good repair shop, starbucks, gap, banana republic, gnc, tjmaxx, wendys, equinox and greenvale LIRR station all within walking distance. You can't walk to NYCOM because Northern boulevard isn't pedestrian friendly but you can be at school in under a minute if you don't get stuck at the light at the end of the block. It's safe, never have a problem finding on street parking, families with little kids, and lots of nycom students. She's a great landlady--and she can work with you in terms of rent. Her name is Dorothy Grotschel and her number is : 631 689 3149.
Good luck!

Does any 3d/4th year student still sell books?

Anybody have a book list for the Class of 2014? Which anatomy books are you guys currently using?

Anybody have a book list for the Class of 2014? Which anatomy books are you guys currently using?

Gray's Anatomy for Students, Grant's Dissector, and pretty much any atlas of your choosing - I like Netter's and Rohen/Yokochi, personally.

The entire book list is huge, I'm too lazy to post it here.

Hello,
I applied to NYCOM through the Emigre Physician Program stream for admission this Fall 2011 and would like to get some tips and feedback on the entrance exam that must be taken from 1st years students that got in through the EPP ?

The Study Guide (link below) is not very specific in terms of the actual Breakdown of the exam (ie. Number of questions from each one of the 3 sections indicated) and what does it actual mean by Part C: Clinical Cases? (Are these Clinical Cases at the USMLE Step 1 Level or USMLE Step 2 Level?)

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Emigre_Ph...nt_Summary.pdf

Thanks in advance

Anyone willing to sublet their apartment for the month of June. Let me know asap please.

Hey CLASS OF 2014!!

I'm looking to rent a spacious room for two months (June & July) in a nice apartment that's part of the 2nd floor of a house in Glen Cove, NY (just 10 mins from NYIT-COM). This might be a great opportunity for students doing their rotations in this area over the summer. This is only a temporary sublet for two months!! I'd prefer giving it to a NYCOM student.

Email me if interested! [email protected]