NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Why was this thread started in 2007 for the 2008-2009 application session.

Anyone know if they have cutoffs for MCAT? That's really screwing my application.:(

I applied and my MCAT has me concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)

Anyone know if they have cutoffs for MCAT? That's really screwing my application.:(

They were just being proactive...

I don't know about cutoffs... Sorry.

I'll bump this one up there... Who else is applying to NYCOM?

I am applying to NYCOM class of 2013!! woo woooo! if i go i will most likely complete the DO/MS in clinical nutrition, since thats what pulled me in to begin with.

will be applying as well!

the fact that this thread is already up makes me realize I start nycom in a month and a half or so....

oh sh!!!t does time fly

applying to nycom as well. the do i shadowed for 3+ years went here. i was also admitted into their bs/do program straight out of high school, but being stupid and immature declined. here i am three years later, hating myself for it. hope it doesn't count against me!

Did anyone receive their secondary from NYCOM yet? I have received a bunch from other schools but have not heard anything from this school.

you won't receive anything from nycom from a while. don't worry. they start interviewing really really late in the cycle (November last year) so don't be surprised if you don't hear a peep from nycom for the next 2-3 months.

Is NYCOM extremely in-state oriented? Does anyone know how many interviews they grant to OOS apps?

I completely understand your concerns, and honestly, there are plenty of people applying to the same school who are in your position! So take heart in the fact that MCATs aren't the only thing they look at. Just make yourself the best candidate possible. As for your specific question, they were telling me that the cut off was a 19! However, having a score of at least a 24 makes you competitive. I hope this helps. Good luck and maybe I'll get to see you at orientation! I'm definitely applying as well to NYCOM.

Is NYCOM extremely in-state oriented? Does anyone know how many interviews they grant to OOS apps?

I was OOS and interviewed and was accepted. Looking at my classmates for this year, they are heavily Northeast-oriented, but that shouldn't discourage you from applying. I came from California :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was OOS and interviewed and was accepted. Looking at my classmates for this year, they are heavily Northeast-oriented, but that shouldn't discourage you from applying. I came from California :cool:

Thanks for the reply. May I ask how your stats were? I'm trying to gauge which OOS schools I should apply to. No need to reply if you feel uncomfortable divulging that info. All the best with your med school career.

Thanks for the reply. May I ask how your stats were? I'm trying to gauge which OOS schools I should apply to. No need to reply if you feel uncomfortable divulging that info. All the best with your med school career.

thanks! good luck w the applications. i would say for OOS, look at schools that you can see yourself living/studying in for the next 4-8 years (i say 8 bc many students end up in residency in the same area as their medical school training). there's also some subjective component to the schools as well, hopefully you'll be able to feel this out by doing some research on them and interviewing when the time comes.

Now I am aware that it depends on 100,000 factors like:

• Planetary Orientation
  • Earth's magnetic field direction
  • Adcom having gotten laid last night
  • Little irish guys in green suits with a rainbow behind them
  • Vietnamese witch doctors
  • Stop and Shop having coco pebbles in stock
  • Tidal currents
  • Weather patterns
  • OMFG ATP
But does anyone know approximately what stats are needed to get the secondary/interview at nycom? Just a ballpark?

Anyone know what the out of state tution is at NYCOM? In state is listed as ~37,000 $ ... really want to know.... thanks :)

Now I am aware that it depends on 100,000 factors like:

• Planetary Orientation
  • Earth's magnetic field direction
  • Adcom having gotten laid last night
  • Little irish guys in green suits with a rainbow behind them
  • Vietnamese witch doctors
  • Stop and Shop having coco pebbles in stock
  • Tidal currents
  • Weather patterns
  • OMFG ATP
But does anyone know approximately what stats are needed to get the secondary/interview at nycom? Just a ballpark?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So I've only been to NY once when I performed at Carnegie Hall but this was year's ago.

Anyone know approx. what the living expenses will be if attending NYCOM? It's one of my top choices but it looks like it's in an expensive area...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So I've only been to NY once when I performed at Carnegie Hall but this was year's ago.

Anyone know approx. what the living expenses will be if attending NYCOM? It's one of my top choices but it looks like it's in an expensive area...
It's one of the most expensive places in LI, and LI is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. So you do the math.:eek:

I'm too scared to.

Rent isn't too bad if you live with a roommate or two in glen cove (10-15 mins from school). I have classmates who pay something like $500-600 in rent per month. That's not bad at all for NY living :)

It's one of the most expensive places in LI, and LI is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. So you do the math.:eek:

NYCOM isn't in one of the most expensive places on LI, are you kidding? Have you ever been to centerport/northport/east hampton/dix hills/montaulk/cold spring harbor?

NYCOM isn't in one of the most expensive places on LI, are you kidding? Have you ever been to centerport/northport/east hampton/dix hills/montaulk/cold spring harbor?
hahahaha... hilarious.. where on LI do you live?

Old Westbury is pretty darn expensive; have you seen the mansions almost across the street?

Dix Hills?? are you kidding??? And yes I've been to all of those; east north port and center port??:confused:

Old Westbury is pretty darn expensive; have you seen the mansions almost across the street?

Dix Hills?? are you kidding??? And yes I've been to all of those; east north port and center port??:confused:

LOL well theres really nice areas of those places as well as not so nice.

Not east northport though. Regular northport.

LOL well theres really nice areas of those places as well as not so nice.

Not east northport though. Regular northport.

True. Well all of Old Westbury is really rich, mostly old money. Maybe you're confusing it with Westbury which is pretty dismal.

If the apartmetns are 600$/month then it isn't really that bad.... I've had to pay that much sharing a two bed apartment right here in boring old Michigan.

When you say 15 minutes away is that by car or on foot????

Does anyone know if we need to send the LOR before they look at our primary to determine if they want to interview. Or are the LOR required along with the secondary when interview granted?

(I got the e-mail saying they received my AACOMAS)

Thanks!

Does anyone know if we need to send the LOR before they look at our primary to determine if they want to interview. Or are the LOR required along with the secondary when interview granted?

Thanks!

In the middle of that email it says to forward letters at this time and that they don't participate in VirtualEvals.

Thanks!
I wasn't positive either, but it seemed to imply yes so I sent mine in. At least that's one school that the ball is in their court now and I don't have to worry about for two months.

If the apartmetns are 600$/month then it isn't really that bad.... I've had to pay that much sharing a two bed apartment right here in boring old Michigan.

By car.

Most everyone has a car and drives (a few commute by bus and train but it can take them hours). Living in walking distance to NYCOM would pretty much mean living in a very pricey mansion.

Anyone know when NYCOM's open house is? It's usually sometime in November.

Rent isn't too bad if you live with a roommate or two in glen cove (10-15 mins from school). I have classmates who pay something like $500-600 in rent per month. That's not bad at all for NY living :)

i share a 4 br house w three other people and our rent is 500/month per person. we are close to school as well... where it really hurts is if you live on your own. a 1 br studio or apt is quite pricey in the area, so the most economical option is always to share a house w some other students. this will really help keep your living costs down, esp if you can carpool w some of your classmates.

hey everybody!
soo has anybody gotten the 'application acknowledgement' email from nycom yet? i just heard from them this morning & just wanted to make sure that this receipt is not a supp app invite and that i need to wait for further emails before i can send one in. any help would be appreciated, thanks!

hey everybody!
soo has anybody gotten the 'application acknowledgement' email from nycom yet? i just heard from them this morning & just wanted to make sure that this receipt is not a supp app invite and that i need to wait for further emails before i can send one in. any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I got it too. NYCOM only sends you a secondary if you're being invited for an interview.

I sat on this "AACOMAS received" email from them for the last few weeks, thinking I was going to drop them. Then I realized how dumb this would be, since I've already paid for them to consider me...

*LORs sent...awaiting decision*

So NYCOM is a top choice for me and it scares me to think they only give you the secondary if you are interviewing. Right now I am involved in research that has been great for my clinical exposure because basically the majority of what I do is talk/deal with patients and families all day and obtain consent forms. I started this after I submitted my primary so is there a way to update my current information through the school to show them how much clinical exposure I have experienced since and will be experiencing all year (because it's what I'm doing on my year off). Any input would be great. Thanks guys!

So NYCOM is a top choice for me and it scares me to think they only give you the secondary if you are interviewing. Right now I am involved in research that has been great for my clinical exposure because basically the majority of what I do is talk/deal with patients and families all day and obtain consent forms. I started this after I submitted my primary so is there a way to update my current information through the school to show them how much clinical exposure I have experienced since and will be experiencing all year (because it's what I'm doing on my year off). Any input would be great. Thanks guys!

Write a letter and include your duties and why it's been an important experience for you, and say that you wish for them to consider it as part of your application, as it began after submitting AACOMAS.

Write a letter and include your duties and why it's been an important experience for you, and say that you wish for them to consider it as part of your application, as it began after submitting AACOMAS.
So I've been working on something that I mentioned in my AACOMAS but now it's completed. I'm wondering if i should send the finished product now or if I should just hope to get invited and send it then?

I sat on this "AACOMAS received" email from them for the last few weeks, thinking I was going to drop them. Then I realized how dumb this would be, since I've already paid for them to consider me...

*LORs sent...awaiting decision*

So is that what your application says now that you sent your LORs, or is that just you saying it?

So I've been working on something that I mentioned in my AACOMAS but now it's completed. I'm wondering if i should send the finished product now or if I should just hope to get invited and send it then?

Is it something that you'd physically send to them? Like a thesis or something? If so, I'd just let them assume that you finished it and talk about it during an interview.

I'd only update them if something has changed since AACOMAS, and you'd really like for them to know about it.

Do we need to send in LORs for the initial screen NOW, or we wait until we receive secondary invitation?? The email says "you may have your LORs forward to them directly at this time"

Do we need to send in LORs for the initial screen NOW, or we wait until we receive secondary invitation?? The email says "you may have your LORs forward to them directly at this time"

You can send your LORs in now. :)

Has anyone received an interview with NYCOM yet? I've heard they start interviewing late, but seriously, not yet?!

Anyone else find it odd how late NYCOM gets going with the process? I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing NY in the winter time--if that's the case--but it seems counterproductive. Many good applicants will be committed before NYCOM even considers them.

Yeah NYCOM has a history of starting late, but on the flip side, it also interviews until late in the season as well. Last year, I think we stopped interviews around beginning of May. So, some people get to see NYCOM when the weather gets better! :)

Good luck to all the applicants!