NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of rhyme or reason to the entire application process, regardless of the school. There are a ton of factors that go into when decisions get sent out (e.g., when the adcom meets). NYCOM is on the slower end of things and it's not quite a month since your interview. You are by no means out of the running for an outright acceptance at this time. The best thing to do is try and sit tight.

Depending on your personality, pick one of the following:
-It's a marathon and not a sprint
-Go out drinking to take your mind off it
-Being discouraged won't change your eventual result. It will just weigh you down and affect other aspects of your life

Hang in there.

I interviewed on 1/17/12.I called today to see if I can get an update. I was told that a decision has not been made yet and that I can not get a time frame. I am getting really discouraged as to how a school can make you wait so long for a decision, whether it be acceptance, waitlist, or rejection, especially after having an interview. \Does anyone who is currently a student or knowledgable on the NYCOM admission process know what this means? Does it mean you are not being outrightly accepted? Does it mean that you are being waitlisted, but have not been informed yet? What does it mean. Someone here interviewed on 1/12 and still has not heard, while someone who interviewed on 1/18 received their acceptance letter. Any clarification on this would be helpful. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of rhyme or reason to the entire application process, regardless of the school. There are a ton of factors that go into when decisions get sent out (e.g., when the adcom meets). NYCOM is on the slower end of things and it's not quite a month since your interview. You are by no means out of the running for an outright acceptance at this time. The best thing to do is try and sit tight.

Depending on your personality, pick one of the following:
-It's a marathon and not a sprint
-Go out drinking to take your mind off it
-Being discouraged won't change your eventual result. It will just weigh you down and affect other aspects of your life

Hang in there.

It is responses like this that bring light to a forum that I often find disgust with. Thanks whoever you are.

prayingtogod said:
I know many students who got in this year. Most of the time they take about a month or a month and a half to give you the decision. If you are waitlisted, they do not let you know (last time I heard, someone who interviewed in november, kept on calling and finally found out in april that they were in the waiting list, this was from last year). But then again, they might have improved. I am sure you would get in, NYCOM is one of those schools which is especially slow with its decision. I know its frustrating because I am on the same boat as you but I am hoping and praying that everything would turn out okay. Think positive. Don't worry I am sure you'll be fine. Hopefully my reply makes you feel a little better. Good Luck

Your response was nice, too. Thanks :)
When did you interview?

I am surprised they won't let you know that you have been waitlisted. I would rather receive and outright rejection after interview than sit around for months w/o hearing a word. IDK I guess that is just me. As applicants we put a lot of time, effort, and finances to getting to the point of interview. I just feel it should be common courtesy to provide some type of feedback.

I will keep this thread posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else really concerned about the cost of attendance here? I really like this school, but I'm worried that I'm going to have trouble paying back loans considering I'm probably going to have to borrow the maximum amount. The financial aid packet I got at the interview says the estimated cost of attendance is around $80,000! In addition to that they said the tuition increases around 7% every year. Can anyone who goes here confirm these numbers? These numbers would equate to over $320,000 in debt after graduation, and the interest would grow during residency assuming I'm not able to chip away at it during that time. If there's anyone that wants to make me feel better about the situation please feel free to chime in lol.

Is anyone else really concerned about the cost of attendance here? I really like this school, but I'm worried that I'm going to have trouble paying back loans considering I'm probably going to have to borrow the maximum amount. The financial aid packet I got at the interview says the estimated cost of attendance is around $80,000! In addition to that they said the tuition increases around 7% every year. Can anyone who goes here confirm these numbers? These numbers would equate to over $320,000 in debt after graduation, and the interest would grow during residency assuming I'm not able to chip away at it during that time. If there's anyone that wants to make me feel better about the situation please feel free to chime in lol.
One thing that NYCOM has available that you may not be familiar with is a pre-doctoral fellowship program. I may not have the specific details right, but here it goes...

You apply either towards the end of 1st yr or beginning of 2nd to be selected as one of the scholars. I believe they have scholars in Neuro, OMM, maybe 1 or 2 others.

Basically, what you would end up with is a 5-year medical school experience. After completing 2nd year, you are a scholar doing research, taking masters courses (you get a masters degree, which you do have pay for but it's "only" a few grand) and you're basically T.A.ing the 1st and 2nd years. This would occur after your 2nd year but your clinical rotations get put on hold until after you finish the 1 year fellowship (note: you're not paying med school tution during this fellowship year).

Why am I talking about this? Because NYCOM picks up the tab on your 3rd and 4th years. Now be careful...you don't want to apply for this if you're only doing it for the money, but it certainly is a factor.

I'll let someone more financially savy than me address general loans, etc. One thing I will say is it's certainly not easy, but lots of people do it (to the tune of 300 students per year at NYCOM).

i have been a follower of this forum for almost a year, but i figured this would be an appropriate time for me to make my first post. i was complete in mid-september and received an interview invite almost immediately. i was your standard competitive student--29R MCAT, 3.8 GPA from a top university, registered EMT, lots of volunteer hours and extracurriculars, letters from NYCOM alumni, and so on. I interviewed during the first week of november and checked this forum neurotically for someone to post about an acceptance, which came roughly a month later. I literally hit refresh on my phone every 15 minutes... for two months.

I received my acceptance letter on JANUARY 19TH, over TWO months after my interview. some people were accepted within two weeks of their respective interviews. my point is that, coming from someone who is overly pessimistic, you really do not know what is going to happen until you receive some sort of correspondence from the school. who knows--maybe your interviewer was ridiculously slow in reporting his or her comments to the committee. we have no idea how the committee sorts the applicants for final review, whether it's by interview date or age or whatever. i stressed over this for weeks upon weeks, and while i may never know if i was a bottom-of-the-barrel acceptance or if it was something as simple as being randomly shuffled to the bottom of the pile, i eventually heard good news. trust me, if i can have a positive outlook on this process, you can too!

i have been a follower of this forum for almost a year, but i figured this would be an appropriate time for me to make my first post. i was complete in mid-september and received an interview invite almost immediately. i was your standard competitive student--29R MCAT, 3.8 GPA from a top university, registered EMT, lots of volunteer hours and extracurriculars, letters from NYCOM alumni, and so on. I interviewed during the first week of november and checked this forum neurotically for someone to post about an acceptance, which came roughly a month later. I literally hit refresh on my phone every 15 minutes... for two months.

I received my acceptance letter on JANUARY 19TH, over TWO months after my interview. some people were accepted within two weeks of their respective interviews. my point is that, coming from someone who is overly pessimistic, you really do not know what is going to happen until you receive some sort of correspondence from the school. who knows--maybe your interviewer was ridiculously slow in reporting his or her comments to the committee. we have no idea how the committee sorts the applicants for final review, whether it's by interview date or age or whatever. i stressed over this for weeks upon weeks, and while i may never know if i was a bottom-of-the-barrel acceptance or if it was something as simple as being randomly shuffled to the bottom of the pile, i eventually heard good news. trust me, if i can have a positive outlook on this process, you can too!

Thanks for the positive outlook on things. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

One thing that NYCOM has available that you may not be familiar with is a pre-doctoral fellowship program. I may not have the specific details right, but here it goes...

You apply either towards the end of 1st yr or beginning of 2nd to be selected as one of the scholars. I believe they have scholars in Neuro, OMM, maybe 1 or 2 others.

Basically, what you would end up with is a 5-year medical school experience. After completing 2nd year, you are a scholar doing research, taking masters courses (you get a masters degree, which you do have pay for but it's "only" a few grand) and you're basically T.A.ing the 1st and 2nd years. This would occur after your 2nd year but your clinical rotations get put on hold until after you finish the 1 year fellowship (note: you're not paying med school tution during this fellowship year).

Why am I talking about this? Because NYCOM picks up the tab on your 3rd and 4th years. Now be careful...you don't want to apply for this if you're only doing it for the money, but it certainly is a factor.

I'll let someone more financially savy than me address general loans, etc. One thing I will say is it's certainly not easy, but lots of people do it (to the tune of 300 students per year at NYCOM).

Hey, thanks for the reply! They mentioned the scholars program at the interview, but they didn't mention that that 3rd and 4th year would be payed for. (kind of an important thing to leave out lol) That's definitely something that I would be interested in though. I've also heard of loan forgiveness programs for working in certain under served areas..gonna have to do some research on that as well!

just got acceptance letter today. interviewed on 1/24...good luck guys :)

Mind sharing your stats and demo?

I Interviewed on the 25th. Fingers crossed I have a letter waiting for me in the mail!
got a 28 on the mcats, 3.72 GPA...i think if u call them, they'll tell u if they sent out the mail to you

Members don't see this ad :)
So we have three weeks from receiving an acceptance til getting in the deposit. Is that right?

Wow, the stats of people being accepted are pretty high. Seems like NYCOM is especially competitive in that regard

Will be declining my acceptance at NYCOM. Great school, know a fair amount of current students and graduates who are doing very well. Best of luck to all!

Will be declining my acceptance at NYCOM. Great school, know a fair amount of current students and graduates who are doing very well. Best of luck to all!

Best of luck to you as well!

was wondering if anyone at the 1/10 interview has heard anything yet?

Yeah i interviewed 1/10... haven't heard anything yet... i even called and got the whole "the admissions committee is still meeting and making desicions" generic response... who was your interviewer? maybe they got our evaluations in late...

Well I actually got my acceptance yesterday.Interviewed 1/17Called 2/15 to hear "committee has not made decision."Received acceptance 2/21Letter was dated 2/16Stats:28R, 3.9 GPA, ISGoodluck to all! The previous posters have been right... they are incredibly slow. Admissions takes a long time to do anything I suppose. Stay positive!

Accepted yesterday as well, must have taken the letter longer to get up here to Boston.
Interviewed 1/27. Stats: 35Q, 3.2GPA (engineer), OOS

was wondering if anyone at the 1/10 interview has heard anything yet?

I interviewed on 1/10 and got my acceptance letter on 2/13. I'm sorry you haven't heard yet, their whole process feels very random.

Does anyone know if NYCOM accepts Advanced Placement credit for their pre-req's? I have 3 AP English credits, and I hope they will accept that.

Thanks!

They sent out the letter 2/21 after mail pickup cus I still didn't get it today. Waiting extremely patiently. I just got in to the Class of 2016 facebook group, getting in to the school itself is the easy part now! :p

Does anyone know if NYCOM accepts Advanced Placement credit for their pre-req's? I have 3 AP English credits, and I hope they will accept that.

Thanks!

This is something your college/university sorts out -- not AACOMAS itself. Check with registrar.

Well I actually got my acceptance yesterday.Interviewed 1/17Called 2/15 to hear "committee has not made decision."Received acceptance 2/21Letter was dated 2/16Stats:28R, 3.9 GPA, ISGoodluck to all! The previous posters have been right... they are incredibly slow. Admissions takes a long time to do anything I suppose. Stay positive!
Congrats!

interviewed 1/26... got my acceptance yesterday!
im excited. and petrified... this is really happening

:scared::eek::cool::D

interviewed 1/26... got my acceptance yesterday!
im excited. and petrified... this is really happening

:scared::eek::cool::D

Did the certified letter come separately, or with regular mail delivery? Still haven't gotten it although it's been mailed out :x

Accepted! Interviewed 1/17, In state, 27 MCAT, 3.45 GPA. Good luck for everyone who is still waiting!!!

Just received the letter today.

Wait listed.

3.34/3.46 cum/sci with a 29S MCAT, 3.92 post-bac GPA for about 40 credits of upper division Bio courses.

I have no idea what I did wrong.

Just received the letter today.

Wait listed.

3.34/3.46 cum/sci with a 29S MCAT, 3.92 post-bac GPA for about 40 credits of upper division Bio courses.

I have no idea what I did wrong.
Sorry to hear it. There doesn't seem to be anything glaring #'s wise for you so I can understand your disappointment.

Don't get too down about it, though. There should be significant movement over the next couple months. There's still a long way to go before classes start in August.

LOL every time I read posts on this thread my stomach starts turning and I get so nervous lolololol But, its addicting and I cant stop reading hahaha ! I recently had my interview and I hope it went well :) But waiting definitely has to be the hardest part! I started checking the mailbox the day after the interview even though I knew there wouldn’t be anything for me in there. I really hope to receive an acceptance ! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :D

Sorry to hear it. There doesn't seem to be anything glaring #'s wise for you so I can understand your disappointment.

Don't get too down about it, though. There should be significant movement over the next couple months. There's still a long way to go before classes start in August.

That's the worst part. I have a feeling there will be, but judging by past year's NYCOM waitlist threads... people don't hear back til end of June/July. Which means I still have to pay deposits for other schools to reserve my seat in case I don't get into NYCOM -- and then if I do, rush thru the financial aid process. All I can do is send a letter of intent and hope for the best.

So disappointed today, after working so hard. I even had decent MCAT sci scores 12bio 10 phys 7verbal (ran out of time on the last section), but an S for writing. This just sucks. Especially considering I was probably the only one out of my group that day that got waitlisted. Did I really do that poorly on the interview? What did they not like about my application? Just a million questions running through my head now...

That's the worst part. I have a feeling there will be, but judging by past year's NYCOM waitlist threads... people don't hear back til end of June/July. Which means I still have to pay deposits for other schools to reserve my seat in case I don't get into NYCOM -- and then if I do, rush thru the financial aid process. All I can do is send a letter of intent and hope for the best.

So disappointed today, after working so hard. I even had decent MCAT sci scores 12bio 10 phys 7verbal (ran out of time on the last section), but an S for writing. This just sucks. Especially considering I was probably the only one out of my group that day that got waitlisted. Did I really do that poorly on the interview? What did they not like about my application? Just a million questions running through my head now...

You want to go to a school that wants you... just remember that

You want to go to a school that wants you... just remember that

If they wanted me, they would have accepted me. Hence leaving me wondering what I did wrong. Especially considering I showed with my post-bac GPA that I'm serious about going to a DO school -- not a Caribbean. Oh well, time will tell. It just seems all that hard work was for nothing, if I wanted to go to SGU I could've in the winter.

got a wait list letter today..... interviewed 1/10 with 3.15 cum 3.1 Sci and 32p mcat.:(

Accepted! Damn that wait was killer.

6 weeks after my interview!

I don't understand that man. Sorry to hear.

ya. dont feel too bad for me though. i at least got into touro ny. i hope the spot i didnt get goes to someone that is striving to achieve their dream. i know at least i will be able to get there with touro.

Waitlisted as well. 3.6 gpa 29 mcat with extensive volunteer work, teaching and tutoring, extra classes post-grad, etc. :/ bummed, to say the least.

If you want to get FIN AID done now you can. Still add NYCOM to your FAFSA so they'll have your info if you get pulled from the wait list.

Hey guys,
I just want to say to everyone on the waitlist....keep your heads up! I haven't heard from this school at all but I was waitlisted at another D.O. school for 1 month and get accepted :) You were waitlisted for a reason, yea maybe you didn't outshine those who were immediately accepted, but at the same time they have kept you around b/c you have enough credentials that they DO like! So send in some great letters of intent, stay in touch, and you just might b pulled from the waitlist! Stay optimistic sheeesh :)

Just got a letter from NYCOM... waitlisted... 3.9 MS, 4.0 Postbac, 33 MCAT, plenty of research and clinical experience. still cant get past a 2.8 undergrad i guess. and this was my only interview, im going to need therapy lol

Just got a letter from NYCOM... waitlisted... 3.9 MS, 4.0 Postbac, 33 MCAT, plenty of research and clinical experience. still cant get past a 2.8 undergrad i guess. and this was my only interview, im going to need therapy lol

This is really making me question who NYCOM accepts and declines. I am starting to wonder if this has anything to do with the higher attrition rate at the school. Sorry to hear man. I think your stats are basically MD capable. Apply broadly next round if it comes to that. A 33 is a very high MCAT. Wish I could say the same for myself.