NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the waitlist has started to move, but they won't say how much. all we can do is, wait.

That's crazy that there are still people on the wait list for this upcoming fall! I'm applying for fall 2013, and I wish you all luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I just withdrew (after struggling between Buffalo and NYCOM). I hope one of you gets it!

I'm thinking of retaking the MCAT in a week or two. Since the score will come in before the first day of classes, if I get a 32+ lets say (29 currently), will my chances of getting off the wait list improve for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of retaking the MCAT in a week or two. Since the score will come in before the first day of classes, if I get a 32+ lets say (29 currently), will my chances of getting off the wait list improve for this cycle?

Your MCAT is pretty good. You can retake it but I don't know if it will help you get off the waitlist. Did you try sending them an updated resume? Are you still volunteering? If you are still volunteering try updating them (shows you are still doing stuff). I am assuming you live in LI, was NYCOM your first choice? Good Luck

Your MCAT is pretty good. You can retake it but I don't know if it will help you get off the waitlist. Did you try sending them an updated resume? Are you still volunteering? If you are still volunteering try updating them (shows you are still doing stuff). I am assuming you live in LI, was NYCOM your first choice? Good Luck

Not still volunteering since I've been studying MCAt all summer - and no one will take someone as an EMT here for just a few months. Though I landed an ER scribe position if I dont get in anywhere this year. NYCOM was my first choice, also wait listed at Lake Erie and although it wouldn't be that bad to go there since it's so cheap I'd rather stay local. Applied to Drexel IMS too...

Not still volunteering since I've been studying MCAt all summer - and no one will take someone as an EMT here for just a few months. Though I landed an ER scribe position if I dont get in anywhere this year. NYCOM was my first choice, also wait listed at Lake Erie and although it wouldn't be that bad to go there since it's so cheap I'd rather stay local. Applied to Drexel IMS too...

Yeah I was also trying to do some EMT work to keep me busy but no one would take me for just a few months. I wouldn't give up hope yet the waitlist can still move. The worst that can happen is you reapplying again. Your MCAT seems good and if you improve to a 32 it's even better. How far do you live from NYCOM? I think since you live in LI and if you are close to NYCOM it should benefit you. Good luck hopefully you get in.

Originally applied to LECOM - PBL, got a call for a seat at Seton Hill PBL yesterday morning. I leave a VM for the director of admissions at NYCOM, and call Drexel IMS to hurry their decision if possible. I get a call back from NYCOM under an hour later offering me an acceptance -- however the VM wasn't the reason for the acceptance -- the letter was actually mailed out the day prior! They just didn't want me to pay $1,500 for no reason to LECOM haha.

And today I got the call from Drexel IMS that I was accepted, but even the committee apparently told the counselor to pass on the message for me to strongly consider LECOM instead, and considering my NYCOM accept -- definitely going!

Originally applied to LECOM - PBL, got a call for a seat at Seton Hill PBL yesterday morning. I leave a VM for the director of admissions at NYCOM, and call Drexel IMS to hurry their decision if possible. I get a call back from NYCOM under an hour later offering me an acceptance -- however the VM wasn't the reason for the acceptance -- the letter was actually mailed out the day prior! They just didn't want me to pay $1,500 for no reason to LECOM haha.

And today I got the call from Drexel IMS that I was accepted, but even the committee apparently told the counselor to pass on the message for me to strongly consider LECOM instead, and considering my NYCOM accept -- definitely going!

Congrats! Don't you love it when good things just all happen in such a short amount of time!? So are you going to NYCOM or LECOM then?

congrats! Don't you love it when good things just all happen in such a short amount of time!? So are you going to nycom or lecom then?

nycom :D

edit: if anyone is looking for a roommate, PM me! I am looking for a place right now.

Last edited:
Received my Acceptance Letter today! Applied in early January, interviewed March 15, Waitlisted March 23, and received my letter today (letter was marked 7/9).

I am in-state (live 15 min from NYCOM). MCAT score was a 26, sGPA was around a 3.4-3.5.

Persistence is the key. Called them about 2x/month, and sent in an update letter/letter of intent to them on friday, and was accepted the following monday. The reason I'm posting here is to tell everybody on the waitlist to NOT give up. Be persistent, and have confidence in yourself.

I'm sure people will begin hearing back very soon. Good luck to you all!

Received my Acceptance Letter today! Applied in early January, interviewed March 15, Waitlisted March 23, and received my letter today (letter was marked 7/9).

I am in-state (live 15 min from NYCOM). MCAT score was a 26, sGPA was around a 3.4-3.5.

Persistence is the key. Called them about 2x/month, and sent in an update letter/letter of intent to them on friday, and was accepted the following monday. The reason I'm posting here is to tell everybody on the waitlist to NOT give up. Be persistent, and have confidence in yourself.

I'm sure people will begin hearing back very soon. Good luck to you all!

Congrats!! I will see you there.

I got my acceptance letter today too!!!! :)

I'll be starting my house/housemate search tomorrow if anyone else is still looking!

Good luck guys, I hope more people get good news!

Any idea when we'll get our financial aid packages?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my acceptance letter! It was postmarked July 9.

A little over a month until classes start so I'm looking for apartments. If anyone is interested as a roommate/housemate, let me know through a PM or whatever!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting. The list is still moving here and there I heard because they had a deadline of July 15.

Received my acceptance letter! It was postmarked July 9.

A little over a month until classes start so I'm looking for apartments. If anyone is interested as a roommate/housemate, let me know through a PM or whatever!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting. The list is still moving here and there I heard because they had a deadline of July 15.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm hoping to receive my own soon. Is there anything you did from the moment you got waitlisted to the moment you received your acceptance? I'm currently on the waitlist and trying to find ways to get accepted. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Asdfghjkl1,

I actually sent them an updated transcript from my last semester, a letter of intent (strongly saying I wanted to go to NYCOM), and I called them a few times to check my status.

Hey all,

I recently got accepted and now I'm scrambling to look for housing in the Glen Cove/Locust Valley area. If anyone has a room available or is looking for a roommate to go apartment hunting with, PM me ASAP so we can lock down the best price/locations.

Hi all, so I'm applying to NYCOM and other schools now, and I was wondering if anyone here was accepted without a letter from a DO. I was always told not to bother shadowing, since you aren't really doing hands on work, so I focused on volunteering as an EMT instead. Therefore, I have no DO letter, but I have worked with plenty of DOs while volunteering, just not well enough to ask for a letter. How detrimental is this to an application to NYCOM?

Hi all, so I'm applying to NYCOM and other schools now, and I was wondering if anyone here was accepted without a letter from a DO. I was always told not to bother shadowing, since you aren't really doing hands on work, so I focused on volunteering as an EMT instead. Therefore, I have no DO letter, but I have worked with plenty of DOs while volunteering, just not well enough to ask for a letter. How detrimental is this to an application to NYCOM?

Hi, not sure if this helps but I did have a DO letter of recommendation. I am not sure if that gave me a boost but I was asked during my interview whether or not I shadowed a DO. The interviewer also asked me about the letter of recommendation and spent quite some time discussing my shadow experience with a DO. I felt like having a DO letter and just spending some time with one definitely helped but again I am not the admissions person so I can't say for sure. If you did volunteer with some DOs why don't you just ask if you could shadow them for a little bit. Just get to know them and they might be able to write you a letter. Good Luck.

Got in without DO letter too. 30 MCAT, 3.6 GPA. They ask at interviews, however, if you have ever worked with a DO. I would suggest at least going to a DO as a patient to get an idea of the difference if you don't already know.

Hey I'm very interested in NYCOM, and am applying this cycle for admission Fall 2013. I was just wondering once you guys get the information about the average stats for the incoming class of 2016 if you could post it. The average GPAs and MCATs. I'm a little worried because the average statistics keep going up and I'm not sure where I would stand. Thank you in advance!

Hey guys! OMS I here. Hope everything is going well for you guys. Any questions?