NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the secondary too.

Members don't see this ad.

I got the Secondary email too. I am one of the peeps who submitted it earlier though since it has been available on their website so hopefully they already have mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone using an MD LOR instead of a DO, did you put that persons information on the secondary?

Do you guys know if the photo is mandatory?

Does anyone know how much they screen before emailing out secondaries? Or did everyone who apply get the secondary email? Also, any idea approximately how many people that receive secondaries are offered interviews? Thanks!

From the way the email was written, it sounds like everyone is invited to submit the secondary without screening first.

Lord that took forever to receive that email. Simple secondary though. Took like 30 minutes. Maybe they will respond to secondaries quicker than primaries? :laugh:

How much did you write on "why NYCOM", like a paragraph or an essay? Also did you take this to mean why NYCOM, or why osteopathic medicine and then why NYCOM specifically?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received the secondary as well, however something I am unsure of..

I only have 2 science letters and the D.O. letter. I don't have a non-science letter.
If I go ahead and submit the secondary, is it possible that I could still receive an interview invite? In that case I would know that they had sufficient interest in me in which I could scramble for a third LoR.

I'm confused too. I don't have a DO letter but I have an MD letter and my college sent all my recommendation letters to them via virtual eval. I don't remember who I asked for my letters so I don't know what to fill out in those sections.

Any suggestions?

Call your college and ask them who wrote your letters.

Do you guys think it will be a problem if my LOR's get there before my primary app is complete?

How long was everyone's essay? I can't decide how much to write.

From the website, it said "NYCOM requires that each applicant submit either a pre-health committee packet or three faculty recommendation letters (two of which must be science faculty). We do not place a limit on the number of recommendation letters submitted. A DO or MD letter is strongly recommended although not required and cannot be substituted for a faculty letter. Employer letters will be accepted in addition to, but not in place of a faculty letter."

http://www.nyit.edu/nycom/admissions/frequently_asked_questions

I just received the secondary as well, however something I am unsure of..

I only have 2 science letters and the D.O. letter. I don't have a non-science letter.
If I go ahead and submit the secondary, is it possible that I could still receive an interview invite? In that case I would know that they had sufficient interest in me in which I could scramble for a third LoR.

Does anybody know what research falls under? Is it under volunteering or extracurricular? Thanks.

From the website, it said "NYCOM requires that each applicant submit either a pre-health committee packet or three faculty recommendation letters (two of which must be science faculty). We do not place a limit on the number of recommendation letters submitted. A DO or MD letter is strongly recommended although not required and cannot be substituted for a faculty letter. Employer letters will be accepted in addition to, but not in place of a faculty letter."

http://www.nyit.edu/nycom/admissions/frequently_asked_questions

I don't have a pre-health committee. My pre-professional office just compiles all of our LoR's into one file and distributes that. Therefore, I assume I will need two from a science, one from a non-science, and then a D.O. is recommended.

I have all of those except the non-science letter. What I'm wondering is if I am still eligible to be invited for an interview before they have all of my LoR's. NYCOM is the only school that I applied to in which I need the non-science, and if I don't get an interview anyways, I don't really have a need to scramble for that non-science letter. However, if I am still eligible to receive an interview, I would then be sure that they at least had somewhat of an interest in me and I would scramble to get the letter in that case.

I don't have a pre-health committee. My pre-professional office just compiles all of our LoR's into one file and distributes that. Therefore, I assume I will need two from a science, one from a non-science, and then a D.O. is recommended.

I have all of those except the non-science letter. What I'm wondering is if I am still eligible to be invited for an interview before they have all of my LoR's. NYCOM is the only school that I applied to in which I need the non-science, and if I don't get an interview anyways, I don't really have a need to scramble for that non-science letter. However, if I am still eligible to receive an interview, I would then be sure that they at least had somewhat of an interest in me and I would scramble to get the letter in that case.

I don't think that means you HAVE to have a non science.. it's just saying that you HAVE to have at least two science. I submitted 3 science.. we'll see what happens

I don't think that means you HAVE to have a non science.. it's just saying that you HAVE to have at least two science. I submitted 3 science.. we'll see what happens

Oh. I didn't catch that. In any case, my dilemma still holds. I am one science/non-science letter short. Although, a science letter would be much easier to scramble for.

Should I put my shadowing of two MD physicians under the volunteer aspect of my application? What do you think NYCOM will think of this?

I do have a letter from a DO physician though (who happened to graduate from there :) just saying.)

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input!

Should I put my shadowing of two MD physicians under the volunteer aspect of my application? What do you think NYCOM will think of this?

I do have a letter from a DO physician though (who happened to graduate from there :) just saying.)

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input!

I don't think that it will matter at all...You have shadowed a DO before so you should be fine....besides MDs are doctors too...

I don't think that it will matter at all...You have shadowed a DO before so you should be fine....besides MDs are doctors too...

Thanks for your input, WisdomDoc. NYCOM is my absolute top school. Anyone else feel that way?

I noticed that many of you already received secondary application requests from NYCOM. I hope I'm not too late. My outlook has been revamped in the last month or so, and I am seriously considering DO schools- NYCOM is my top choice because of the program itself, but also because of the location.

I don't want to make another "What are my chances?" thread, and since this is a school-specific discussion room, here 'goes:

What are my chances of getting into NYCOM this time around? Sorry if this belongs somewhere else, but this thread was the best match I turned up in a search.

25 MCAT (9/8/8 P)

3.98 cGPA (3.97 sGPA, 4.00 non-science GPA)

EC include volunteering at summer camps, camps for the disabled, community outreach, tutoring, medical director of programs for the disabled, church musician, charity events, etc.

Hobbies and extracurricular activities include music, basketball, writing, outdoorsy stuff.

Awards and recognition: dean's list every semester, freshman chemistry award, junior academic award for chemistry department, recognition for outstanding writing.

Pertinent work experience: 2 years experience working as nurse's assistant (CPR/First Aide and CNA certified,) assistant medical director for Camp Abilities CT. Also work as a private math and science tutor and camp counselor.

Last edited:
Earlier in the thread, someone (that was me. :) )asked about getting a LOR to NYCOM via AMCAS and they kind of got blown off with the suggestion that a mistake was made and that the person had mistakenly applied to NYMC. However, I wanted to send a LOR from the DO I shadowed and the instructions from Interfolio asked me to send it over to AMCAS. And now that it's uploaded, there doesn't seem to be any way that the letter can be assigned/sent to NYCOM. Am I missing something? My comittee letter was sent via virtual evals, so that should be fine.

EDIT: Retracted. I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Earlier in the thread, someone (that was me. :) )asked about getting a LOR to NYCOM via AMCAS and they kind of got blown off with the suggestion that a mistake was made and that the person had mistakenly applied to NYMC. However, I wanted to send a LOR from the DO I shadowed and the instructions from Interfolio asked me to send it over to AMCAS. And now that it's uploaded, there doesn't seem to be any way that the letter can be assigned/sent to NYCOM. Am I missing something? My comittee letter was sent via virtual evals, so that should be fine.

EDIT: Retracted. I'm an idiot.

LOL. We all can be sometime. Good luck!

I can't apply to this school because they must need a letter from non-science professor letter. I have two science + MD letter, but I don't have a letter from a liberal arts or non-science letter. So, I can't apply to this school :(

I can't apply to this school because they must need a letter from non-science professor letter. I have two science + MD letter, but I don't have a letter from a liberal arts or non-science letter. So, I can't apply to this school :(

The NYCOM website says, and I quote, "Applicants may substitute evaluations from no less than three faculty members, two of whom teach sciences, if their college lacks a pre-professional committee."

So what I think it is saying is that at least 2 of your recs have to come from science profs and the 3rd rec can come from any other prof. I sent in 3 science recs. I recall reading in this thread that others sent in 3 science recs as well so I think you should be fine if you can obtain another science rec.

Submitted the secondary 8/10 but received the actual invite for the secondary 9/9. Hoping to hear good news! :)

The NYCOM website says, and I quote, "Applicants may substitute evaluations from no less than three faculty members, two of whom teach sciences, if their college lacks a pre-professional committee."

So what I think it is saying is that at least 2 of your recs have to come from science profs and the 3rd rec can come from any other prof. I sent in 3 science recs. I recall reading in this thread that others sent in 3 science recs as well so I think you should be fine if you can obtain another science rec.

Hmm, I thought only NSU-COM substitutes another science letter for non-science letter. Like, I have a research professor letter and they said that it works for the non-science letter.

For NYCOM, I called them up and they said research professor doesn't work for non-science letter. So, I am not sure if I need to apply to this school.

Did any of you guys upload a picture? I was unsure as to how not uploading a picture would look and besides, I didn't want the admissions committee to accept me only because I'm so handsome.

Did any of you guys upload a picture? I was unsure as to how not uploading a picture would look and besides, I didn't want the admissions committee to accept me only because I'm so handsome.

I think in general you would upload a photo to anything that presents your credentials (e.g. resumes); it gives them a good idea to know who's information they're reading. although its optional, I put my photo up.

Jeez if schools accepted me based on my dashingly good looks I would send every school a monthly calendar of my best poses ;)

:laugh: