NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I noticed that many of you already received secondary application requests from NYCOM. I hope I'm not too late. My outlook has been revamped in the last month or so, and I am seriously considering DO schools- NYCOM is my top choice because of the program itself, but also because of the location.

I don't want to make another "What are my chances?" thread, and since this is a school-specific discussion room, here 'goes:

What are my chances of getting into NYCOM this time around? Sorry if this belongs somewhere else, but this thread was the best match I turned up in a search.

25 MCAT (9/8/8 P)

3.98 cGPA (3.97 sGPA, 4.00 non-science GPA)

EC include volunteering at summer camps, camps for the disabled, community outreach, tutoring, medical director of programs for the disabled, church musician, charity events, etc.

Hobbies and extracurricular activities include music, basketball, writing, outdoorsy stuff.

Awards and recognition: dean's list every semester, freshman chemistry award, junior academic award for chemistry department, recognition for outstanding writing.

Pertinent work experience: 2 years experience working as nurse's assistant (CPR/First Aide and CNA certified,) assistant medical director for Camp Abilities CT. Also work as a private math and science tutor and camp counselor.

I applied and was accepted last year with similar stats so you definitely have a chance with those credentials. Do well on the interview and I think you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if NYCOM will review you for an invite if you are missing one of the LoR's?

Members don't see this ad :)
To the current students or anyone familiar with the composition of student body...
Does NYCOM heavily favor in-state applicants? Or do you also see some OOS students in the class...
I was wondering where OOS people from the tri-state area (Jersey, for me) would stand. Thanks in advance!

I'm getting nervous... why is this thread so quiet this year. There had to have been more than two people invited to an interview.

I haven't been invited yet - is that a bad sign, I'm in-state. :scared:

I'm getting nervous... why is this thread so quiet this year. There had to have been more than two people invited to an interview.

I haven't been invited yet - is that a bad sign, I'm in-state. :scared:

Have not been invited either :(. In state, 28R, 3.9 GPA, LOR from NYCOM alum.

Is there a minimum cutoff for subsection of the MCAT?

I got a 24O: 10 PS, 9 VR, 5 BS (completely bombed BS)

I got the invite to submit my secondary (before my MCAT score) so I don't know if I should bother submitting the secondary.

Here are my stats:
sGPA: 3.20
cGPA: 3.35
Bio Major with Honors

LOR's: PreMed committee, 2 MD's (shadowing), 1 DO (shadowing), 1 Science, 1 Non-Science, 1 Research Advisor
Work: Pharm. technician, then at a dialysis center, then wireless store associate
Volunteer: EMS (non-EMT), church, school cultural group
Research: cortisol studies for 1.5 years with thesis

Thanks.

i got an interview ^^ First one of this app season MD & DO. I hope i get more!

3.7cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 35Q

wow, great stats orchid! you should get in lots of places assuming you're a somewhat complete applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone called yet to schedule their interview? In the email they don't tell you what dates they have available

Last edited:
Has anyone called yet to schedule their interview? In the email they don't tell you what dates they have available
I called after I received the email and they give you a selection of upcoming days. I am scheduled for November 4th! Woo!

Any OOS people got interviews yet? Anyone from NJ?

I hope I get more. I'm a pretty avg applicant I think so I won't get my hopes up too high! it seems liek the earliest interview dates are in like early Nov for NYCOM. Hope to see you guys there!

Any current NYCOM students here who can tell us about the school? Pro and Cons?

Last edited:
I was just reading up on NYCOM and I came across "NYCOMEC." I'm not sure if I entirely understand what it is. It seems like its an institution organized by NYCOM to help its graduates gain residency spots. I've never heard of anything like that or knew that it was possible. Am I understanding this wrong? Can someone clarify please?

people that got invite for interview, did you submit secondary before invitation or after?
Thanks

I got an invitation to do the secondary but I didn't do it yet ( I'm working on it right now actually). Then I got an invite for an interview. That made me really wanna do their secondary haha.

I was just reading up on NYCOM and I came across "NYCOMEC." I'm not sure if I entirely understand what it is. It seems like its an institution organized by NYCOM to help its graduates gain residency spots. I've never heard of anything like that or knew that it was possible. Am I understanding this wrong? Can someone clarify please?

Almost all DO schools have such an educational consortium of hospitals for rotations. Most of these sites also have residencies affiliated with the host school. NYCOM has the largest consortium of hospitals out of any osteopathic institution (partly b/c it has the largest class size). Since students complete their rotations at these institutions, they have more access to PD's and can more easily do audition rotations to solidify residency spots. The listing of the affiliated hospitals is on their webpage. Hope this helps.

I think I understand it a bit better now. So what NYCOMEC represents is actually just a network of affiliate hospitals that students can do 3/4th year clerkships in; however, because this helps its students obtain the residency spots because having done the clerkships there they kinda had a head start compared to other applicants.

Also I would liek to ask what is PD and what is audition rotations?

Auditon rotations=some highly sought after AOA accredited residencies require audition rotations at host hospitals to gauge the student's ability to preform procedures or work well in collaboration with their staff before they deciede to interview or accept the individuals into their residency.

PD = Program Director = the individual responsible for Residency program in a specific medical department i.e derm, peds,...

So that means audition rotations occur during the 3rd and 4th years? I've never heard of this concept before for obtaining residency positions. It makes sense but I've definitely never heard of it before. I always thought DO residencies were kinda simmilar to MD residencies. You apply and thats it. I didn't realize there was a form of trying out the student first through audition rotations. thanks a lot the information though!

The more I hear about NYCOM, the more I like :oops:

Audition rotations aren't specific to AOA programs. As a fourth year, you will rotate at a couple of AOA or ACGME programs in your desired field - these are your audition rotations. The goal is to impress people and obtain letters of recommendation.

I submitted my aacomas 7/20 with MCAT.I still haven't gotten a secondary application yet. Is this normal? should I call?

Last edited:
I submitted my aacomas 7/20 with MCAT. My new MCAT score was submitted 9/9. I still haven't gotten a secondary application yet. Is this normal? should I call?

OOS. 3.4/3.4 . 27Q, then 32Q. Grew up in NY.

I think you should call. I had a similar problem with TOURONY and they were real nice about it. Plus the lady I've spoken with over the phone in nycom seems really nice too(though somewhat hurried and busy).

oh does anyone know the acceptance ratio after interviews? I think I read liek 80% somewhere but I'm nto sure if I'm just making up numbers that I like haha.

About how long does it take for NYCOM to let you know if you have an interview or not after app is complete? Thanks!

my primary app was released on sept 29 and they offered me an interview on oct 14! Thats the quickest anyone has ever offered an interview. I really appreciate how quickly they got around to it. All the other schools have ignored me :(

Can someone tell me what other questions are on the secondary besides ". List and describe your hobbies and recreational interests".

I would be so appreciative. Thanks.

Can someone tell me what other questions are on the secondary besides ". List and describe your hobbies and recreational interests".

I would be so appreciative. Thanks.

the other question was the why NYCOM question.

I am an instate applicant. 28R, 3.9 GPA, many extra curriculars, and a LOR from a NYCOM alumni. I have yet to receive an interview invite and I sent in the secondary a week after receiving it :(

Does anyone think I should call? Wonder where I stand, express interest in the school, etc.? Do I talk to the admissions person that answers or ask to speak to an advisor?

Thanks for the help!

This is my number 1 school! I would at least like an opportunity to interview :/

I am an instate applicant. 28R, 3.9 GPA, many extra curriculars, and a LOR from a NYCOM alumni. I have yet to receive an interview invite and I sent in the secondary a week after receiving it :(

Does anyone think I should call? Wonder where I stand, express interest in the school, etc.? Do I talk to the admissions person that answers or ask to speak to an advisor?

Thanks for the help!

This is my number 1 school! I would at least like an opportunity to interview :/

I have essentially identical stats to you. When were you complete? I was complete on Oct 5th. I would imagine that it takes about a month of so to get an invite. Although many people get it sooner, I think we should be fine. :xf:

I have essentially identical stats to you. When were you complete? I was complete on Oct 5th. I would imagine that it takes about a month of so to get an invite. Although many people get it sooner, I think we should be fine. :xf:

I sure hope. I received my "payment received" email 9/19 and still no word. I am just wondering if I should call expressing interest and intent to attend. hmmmmm....

Good luck to you! Keep us updated!

my primary app was released on sept 29 and they offered me an interview on oct 14! Thats the quickest anyone has ever offered an interview. I really appreciate how quickly they got around to it. All the other schools have ignored me :(

When is your interview? Mine is November 3rd.

Is the consensus to send in the secondary if we received an email for it or wait until an interview invite to fill out the secondary?

When is your interview? Mine is November 3rd.

mines nov 10 ! too bad i'm not earlier >.< i really wanna go interview and get a decision asap from them. they're making me reaaaaally anxious. tell me about the interview after ur done!

does anyone know anything about the interview-accept ratio??? i keep thinking its like 80% for some reason. I can't find it anywhere on the forums...i hope i'm not just imagining things... 80% would be awesome!

Im from NJ...got a reciept of complete application on sept 13th....no word yet

GPA overall: 3.1
GPA science: 3.2
MCAT: 21P

Since my mcat score isnt too great...i dont think ill get in.

excuse me, what do you know about neurology residency acceptance rate from NYCOM?

endocrinology? those are my top two specialties I want to go into.

Don't base your medical school decision on what specialties you think you want now. First of all, you will most likely change your mind multiple times and secondly, matching depends on you and your board scores, LORs and grades, not so much on the school.

Endocrinology is a fellowship done after IM so it's not something that you match directly into. I suppose that you could investigate all of the fellowship programs and where their fellows went to school but that's a lot of work.

Ughhh I am dying for an interview here!!!

In-state, 3.69 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa, 28P mcat... Complete Sept. 13th & still nothing...

SIGH!!! Congrats everyone with good news so far!

congrats!
are you Instate? can we also have some stats and possibly dates of completion too?

Thanks

Yep! Instate. 30R MCAT, ~3.7 cGPA & sGPA

I never got a complete e-mail from them so when I called today they had to search around for all my stuff to make sure everything was there. I submitted their secondary online 8/10 before my aacomas got released to them 9/8 so I'm guessing they didn't really look at my file until then.

Just got the interview invite today- In state.
I hadn't turned in my supplementary application yet, and they also told me they didn't have my LOR's.
Unexpected, but I guess it can happen at any time!

FYI- They are not doing interviews in December or the week of Thanksgiving. Therefore, November is full and next available dates are in January.