nycom v pcom for ny?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oracle2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any students from either school have any advice on which might be a better option if I want to obtain a residency in the greater New york area ? I know there have been threads similar to this, but the schools seem to change a bit every year and I'm having trouble finding recent information on Nycom. I'm interested in Pediatrics and Psych, perhaps child psych, but obviously this may change. I am a long island native, but would like an urban experience during med school.

Members don't see this ad.

I truly believe going to nycom will improve your chances of matching in NYC.

You say you want an "urban experience" in med school. Nycom and pcom are both located in suburbanish areas. Pcom is probably closer to downtown Philadelphia (like 20 mins) than nycom is to NYC.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yea, I know the academic buil dings at Nycom are in Greenvale. I'm not familiar at all with Philly and on a map, it looks like PCOM is quite close to downtown. It is it true that there are clinical rotations in the city at Nycom? I thought I had heard of students spending their clinical years in the boroughs.

Nycom's match list history looks more appealing to me so I think it might be my top choice but the tuition is just so outrageous... especially coming in with some school debt already:(

Last edited:
Any students from either school have any advice on which might be a better option if I want to obtain a residency in the greater New york area ? I know there have been threads similar to this, but the schools seem to change a bit every year and I'm having trouble finding recent information on Nycom. I'm interested in Pediatrics and Psych, perhaps child psych, but obviously this may change. I am a long island native, but would like an urban experience during med school.

I would recommend NYCOM if you want to be working in the greater NY area. I know of people there who have matched at hospitals in queens, brooklyn, hospitals in long island (at LIJ hospitals which are very high quality hospitals IMO- which are usually filed with SUNY MDs, NYCOM DOs, and the occasional top dog MDs like harvard), and in the city if they really want to.

when you say their match list looks more appealing to you, do you mean regionally? don't forget how much of that is governed by personal preference. If you do audition rotations in nyc, you will open doors in nyc for residency, and even if you don't, I think Philadelphia is so close to nyc you would have some benefit vs applicants from other regions.

My biggest concern would be that one of these schools seems to have a much worse reputation for how they treat their students...maybe I've just read a skewed assortment of threads, but look into the grading & failure policies for both schools, & perhaps talk to current students. I'm under the impression that one of these schools offers better quality of life. Seriously consider that. If you do worse in school or on boards because the environment is less supportive, that will do far more to close off residency options than attending a school slightly further away.

Reactions: 1 user
Regionally y es, and Nycom seems to have more "name brand" matches so to speak. I understand that PCOM has a better reputation though. I've heard the bad stuff about ny com, but it's hard to find updated information. Part of me thinks that being in Ny near friends and family would make up for that though. Locationwise I was thinking I'd even prefer it to an upstate MD school.. I'm not sure if I'm competitive enough for those any way though.

What the poster above said is true. NYCOM has a reputation for low satisfaction by students by the new dean that came in during the 2012 academic year has been trying to change that. Attendance used to be mandatory before but now there are videos for every class. Also, another complaint would be lack of time for board preparation, and now school is starting a week before. Every school has is qualms but NYCOM does provide rotations in the city which i dont know if PCOM does.

Pcom students can easily rotate with Jefferson temple drexel and Penn. It is at most 15 min outside the true center city. I've lived in Philly my whole life and prob going to pcom next year so I may be slightly biased

What the poster above said is true. NYCOM has a reputation for low satisfaction by students by the new dean that came in during the 2012 academic year has been trying to change that. Attendance used to be mandatory before but now there are videos for every class. Also, another complaint would be lack of time for board preparation, and now school is starting a week before. Every school has is qualms but NYCOM does provide rotations in the city which i dont know if PCOM does.

Are you a NyCom student? Are you satisfied with the school? Any Nycomer's out there? I know touro is another area option, but I haven't heard much about them.