NYCOM waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avery967

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter from NYCOM today saying that I have been put on the "priority" waitlist. I have no idea what that means. Does that mean they have different types of waitlists or do they say that to everyone?
Gosh... I just want to find out what my chances are of getting into NYCOM now that I am waitlisted and if I can be accepted, how soon? Is there any one of you who had been waitlisted like me and then got accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

what day did you interview

what were your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 1/8 and my stats are 3.4 gpa and 26 on MCAT. well, I don't know what went wrong. May be the interview didn't go as well as I thought I did. :(
Well, I guess all I can do now is wait.

i'm on their "priority" waitlist too and was wondering if they actually have 2 waitlists!!!!!??????? Does anyone know?????

Originally posted by avery967
I interviewed on 1/8 and my stats are 3.4 gpa and 26 on MCAT. well, I don't know what went wrong. May be the interview didn't go as well as I thought I did. :(
Well, I guess all I can do now is wait.

Hi, I sent you a pm

you are scaring me! my interview is in 18 whole days... i wonder if everyone gets waitlisted now??
i would die if my only interview puts me on that god dam list!

Chrisobean, are you interviewing on the 20th? That is when I am interviewing! I have heard that there is some movement from the waitlist, but I never heard that there were two lists.

Guys, don't panic, that won't help you with the interview. You just have to convince your interviewer that the school would be missing out on something by rejecting you. Good luck to all who still have to interview and those in waitlist limbo.

:clap: <= couldn't find a cheerleader smilie.

yeah ill be there 2/20... i passed up on friday the 13th... dun dun DUNNNN

see u there!!

Originally posted by chimebo
Chrisobean, are you interviewing on the 20th? That is when I am interviewing! I have heard that there is some movement from the waitlist, but I never heard that there were two lists.

Hey, chimebo, where did you hear about the movement from the waitlist?

And good luck with your interview. I hope it all goes well!

My AACOMAS was submitted in Oct and was interviewed in December. I know i should write some sort of letter of intent but have no idea of how to begin the letter...can someone please offer me some suggestions so that i can get off the waitlist!!??Thanks!

I had a friend who got off the waitlist two years ago, and they had told him that there was movement on the waitlist. I took the August MCAT, and waited for my score to apply, so I applied in the beginning November. My application didn't clear through AACOMAS until Dec. 30th and my invite to interview was dated the 23rd. I didn't want to interview on the 13th either, chrisobean. See you at the interview!:)

Originally posted by chimebo
I had a friend who got off the waitlist two years ago, and they had told him that there was movement on the waitlist. I took the August MCAT, and waited for my score to apply, so I applied in the beginning November. My application didn't clear through AACOMAS until Dec. 30th and my invite to interview was dated the 23rd. I didn't want to interview on the 13th either, chrisobean. See you at the interview!:)
my aacomas processed on christmas eve, my interview was dated 1/22 :)

If I remember correctly (I'm in the midst of residency now so it was awhile ago) NYCOM was doing this thing where they would let you know within like two weeks if you were accepted (although I interviewed early and I think the admissions committee was meeting weekly to every other week then). From what I understood then if you were someone who was a definite accept you got your acceptance within the two weeks and if you were a strong canidate (someone they thought would likely get in but were reluctant to take so early in the interview season) but not quite an automatic accept you were placed on the priority wait list (which didn't quite mean the class was full either if I understand correctly). At any rate things may have changed significantly since I applied and I didn't completely understand the priority wait list even then perhaps and didn't inquire further as I received one of those two week acceptances and then was faced with the decision of whether or not NYCOM was the right place for me. Good luck to all applicants!

Originally posted by RuralMedicine
If I remember correctly (I'm in the midst of residency now so it was awhile ago) NYCOM was doing this thing where they would let you know within like two weeks if you were accepted (although I interviewed early and I think the admissions committee was meeting weekly to every other week then). From what I understood then if you were someone who was a definite accept you got your acceptance within the two weeks and if you were a strong canidate (someone they thought would likely get in but were reluctant to take so early in the interview season) but not quite an automatic accept you were placed on the priority wait list (which didn't quite mean the class was full either if I understand correctly). At any rate things may have changed significantly since I applied and I didn't completely understand the priority wait list even then perhaps and didn't inquire further as I received one of those two week acceptances and then was faced with the decision of whether or not NYCOM was the right place for me. Good luck to all applicants!

Thank you for your reply. You are the first person who actually attempted to explain what "priority wait list" is,
Quite frankly, i am confused. do you mean there actually are two wait lists (priority vs regular wait list)?
if they think you are a strong enough candidate to be accepted, why do they put you on the wait list? What are their actual reasons for not accepting you right away? I mean, this is pretty late in the interview season.
does anyone know exactly? :(

Again bear in mind that the situation may very different as years have passed since I was applying. I think that the priority wait list canidates are canidates that the school would take gladly if there was space in the class but in order to make sure there is space in the class for these canidates they need to see ALL the canidates (well all that they opt to interview). Obviously the time to a definite decision will be longer for a priority wait list canidate in November than a priority wait list canidate in February. I'm not sure when NYCOM concludes their interviews but that information should be available from the admissions office. Hang in there!

I interviewed at NYCOM in early December and got put on Priority Waiting list some time during early January. I highly doubt that when I was waitlisted that there weren't any seat available because they didn't start interviewing applicants until early November. I have friends in NYCOM and I think RuralMedicine might be correct in his statements regarding the two types of waiting lists.

Either way, hang in there guys!