NYCPM: Ask Current Students Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ferocity, I want ur feedback on whether u think I'd make it in podiatry with my stats overall. DON'T just look at the 1 in verbal. Look at the APPLICATION AS A WHOLE. That's what podiatry schools do right?

No, that is just a way the people/schools/admissions rationalize why they are taking a student for their potential/money.

These words can be interchangeable, it is up to you to pick which ones fit. Unfortunately too many unqualified students are let into school. You have to draw the line somewhere, and giant red flags are the places to usually do it. Fortunately for both of us, it is not up to me. good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

by application I mean my numerical stats provided btw.

Verbal is actually the most important of the three because it tests your ability to handle a large amount of information thrown at you and figure out answers based on it. One school told me to call after I got my MCAT and they would tell me if I had a shot at getting accepted. When I called to tell them about my scores, the only section they asked about was the verbal. They just asked whats the verbal score and whats the total score. I highly recommend studying hard and retaking the MCAT or applying with the first MCAT if its not expired.

Best of luck

Hi, I've been wanting to ask a podiatry student's opinion on my chances for entrance success in podiatry school. Here are my stats:
3.53 overall, 3.37 science, 18 and 17 MCAT's (V-5, PS-4, BS-9) and (V-1, PS-8, BS-8)
I know the weak pts are the composite and verbal scores, but I believe the biological and physical science scores will actually point out that I can do well on boards and critically think in sciences which should be more important anyway. If you will, please let me in on your opinion for it will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Brandon3106

Most of us here are nice. I am not one of those and especially when I see a poster like you (still not sure if you're trolling) I get offended.

Verbal score of 1 is just ridiculous (even a score of 5 is STILL LOW). 99.99% of applicants in your shoes will retake the MCAT. You continue to insist on the "whole applicant" thing but that just doesn't apply to you. And it's funny how you haven't given us anything but your gpa and mcat and yet you ask us to judge you as a "whole." Quite frankly, one doesn't need to see the other parts of your application to make a decision.
Both of your MCAT scores are sub-20. I would guess only a handful (if any) of applicants with that score get accepted (certainly not 1 in VB). Yes, your "composite" score is about the average for most pod schools but that doesn't mean you'll do well on the boards because you don't get a composite score for the boards. It is PASS or FAIL.

What's more alarming to me is your attitude. If you know that your verbal is your weakness then why don't you fix it? Furthermore you're asking people to divert their attention from the HUGE RED FLAG so big that it's impossible to ignore. Whether you like it or not the VB score is a part of your application and it will be considered. You can't expect the adcom to ignore your VB. This isn't something that you can sweep it under the rug and hope no one finds out. You will get weeded out during the application process anyway. Forget the boards. Why bother dreaming about it when you have a serious problem right now?

Choosing to enter podiatry or any professional schools takes a long thought process. It is a serious committment and will require a life-long dedication to the profession. Not all of us are here because we failed to get into MD/DO.

Whatever your reason is for applying with those scores, I suggest you take a step back and seriously think about your qualifications. Take your time with it. I'm not saying that you're a failure. You will become a great doc after all the years of hard work and training that so many of my colleagues are going through right now. So stop being a coward and change your attitude. It takes a man to acknowledge his weaknesses (esp in public forums like this) but it take a real man to turn the table around.

Go study. Because right now, you're not even qualified to solicit for chances yet and you knew that even before posting your stats here.

Good luck studying MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Brandon3106

Most of us here are nice. I am not one of those and especially when I see a poster like you (still not sure if you're trolling) I get offended.

I'm thinking troll.

Here's what blows my mind. Getting 1 on verbal means that, at most, 7 questions were answered correctly.

Seriously, SEVEN out of 40 questions... 17.5%.

Putting C's all the way down the test yields a higher probability of obtaining a better score.

I agree with most posts here. I remember once when an adcom of a med school came to my school and made a comment regarding verbal score. He said, we can teach you the science when you get here and make you a better student in the sciences. however, we can't teach you verbal, therefore, having a good verbal score is critical.

When I see your score of 1, I cant help but ask myself, "did you fall asleep during your test?"

Since you seem to think the verbal section means nothing, maybe you really did sleep through it. :)

Are you people here to help and encourage students, or to humiliate those who got low scores? The MCAT is just a TEST. A low score in VR or in any part of the MCAT doesn't make you a worse person. You don't know anything about that person, and you CAN'T judge a person for a low score. You don't know if English is not his primary language, or he actually don't understand what they are talking about. You can't talk if you don't know.

If you got 30's and 40's on the MCAT, good for you! But lets encourage this person to pursuit his goals, instead of making fool of him. We are not better persons, and we don't know if he will be a better podiatrist just because he scored 1 on Verbal Reasoning.

Lol we do know his background. Read his other posts and you would too :)

Anatomy labs take place on T/Th from 2-6. Every T/Th immediately following lab from 6-8, there are open lab hours where you can view other cadavers (no dissection is allowed though). Also there are extra open lab hours during the weekend before an anatomy exam/practical.

As far as I know, we do not have access to other school facilities.

In that same breath...

Do we get to dissect cadaver's or just pro-sections (limbs, thorax, head/neck). Would you say Netter's is sufficient for the course?

In most cases, is that extra 2-hr open lab necessary to master the day's material because the day's material is such a knowledge bomb? Or can the open lab be used more to review/consolidate the day's material?

Do we buy our own lab coats before starting school, or can we just buy them the first week of school?

What's the class schedule like in Y1? I seem to remember 8-12pm for lectures when I interviewed a while back, but now my memories are starting to fuse with other departments (library, caf, etc).

Hello NY Pod students!

Do you have any classmates who were accepted AFTER February? If so, would you mind sharing their stats?

Thanks!!

Are you people here to help and encourage students, or to humiliate those who got low scores? The MCAT is just a TEST. A low score in VR or in any part of the MCAT doesn't make you a worse person. You don't know anything about that person, and you CAN'T judge a person for a low score. You don't know if English is not his primary language, or he actually don't understand what they are talking about. You can't talk if you don't know.

If you got 30's and 40's on the MCAT, good for you! But lets encourage this person to pursuit his goals, instead of making fool of him. We are not better persons, and we don't know if he will be a better podiatrist just because he scored 1 on Verbal Reasoning.

Yes, I "humiliated" the OP because he was being a pompous ***** talking like he knows "the game"

I don't think I have to explain why the MCAT and the boards are NOT just tests. They are one of the most important exams in your life if you choose to walk this path. Therefore they need to be taken seriously. The OP obviously did not think so. Judging by his scores in other sections and his gpa, he is capable of scoring higher than what he got but why not? is he stupid? No. He just didn't care. Scores of high 30s or even in the 40s is only loosely related to one's intelligence. I will bet that most of high scorers got what they got because they have put in the effort. They were determined to do well and they followed through by studying hard. Same goes for the boards too.

A low score doesn't make you a worse person but it does make you an idiot when you clearly have the potential to do better.

English is not my mother tongue either.

Hi, I've been wanting to ask a podiatry student's opinion on my chances for entrance success in podiatry school. Here are my stats:
3.53 overall, 3.37 science, 18 and 17 MCAT's (V-5, PS-4, BS-9) and (V-1, PS-8, BS-8)
I know the weak pts are the composite and verbal scores, but I believe the biological and physical science scores will actually point out that I can do well on boards and critically think in sciences which should be more important anyway. If you will, please let me in on your opinion for it will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, don't take this the wrong way... But I don't think you ready for Podiatry school quite yet. I know the MCAT is tough (I didn't do so hot myself) but the fact that the scores amongst the different sections vary heavily, the admissions office will see that, and I think it is better to be even across the board then to have one of the sections be a 1. Your GPA is slightly above the average, however having that low of an MCAT score really does not help balance everything out. My GPA was 3.94, which balanced out the fact that I got a 20Q on the MCAT.

I would say try the MCAT one more time and seriously prepare for it. Boost your score by 4-5 points and you will definitely get in somewhere. But if I were you, I would not waste my money applying until I took the MCAT at least one more time.

Getting back to more serious matters...

Sig, when did NYCPM begin allowing 5 externships? What happens to the 'optional' honours rotation?

Also, since all 5 can be completed before CRIPs, when are we required to complete core rotations?

With regards to anatomy...

In most cases, is that extra 2-hr open lab necessary to master the day's material because the day's material is such a knowledge bomb? Or can the open lab be used more to review/consolidate the day's material?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know most don't know the history of what is happening with CRIP (centralized residency interview process) or CASPR (centralized application for students for residency programs) CRIP = interviews and Caspr = applications. Check out Casprcrip.org.

Anyways, the profession keeps changing this schedule for a few reasons. Just a few years ago, you didn't need to pass part 1 or part 2 boards to get a residency. Well residencies got fed up with that and started only taking students that passed their boards. However, people would match into a residency, and then fail the boards, and then the director would kick them out and have to scramble to find a new candidate, often someone in the scramble. That is irritating as well. So as of this year, we are withdrawn from the match if we do not pass the boards. That is a lot of stress though, so as of this year students are given two chances at the boards before match, which is great for the students. Boards part 2 used to occur in Feb/March of senior year, but to get in 2 testing sessions before the match, a January part was added. Now boards part 2 is January and February, so we have scores before match in March, and anyone failing can be pulled out of the match. This will stop program directors from having to drop candidates and find new ones, and also gives students three opportunities to pass boards each year, because if they pass the third time, they can still scramble late. Make sense?

So whereas we used to do rotations up into January and February, everything is now happening sooner, so January has become a wasted month, and February is after match. Schools are now stopping externships before January, and instead doing core rotations after January. I say schools loosely, because I know this applied to NY and Temple at least.

NY used to have 4 externships for everyone, and an optional fifth if you were a good student (had a B in surgery class), but mostly everyone did 5 if they wanted to. This year, they are removing a one month rotation called "CHR", or comprehensive podiatric hospital rotation, it was not a meaningful month in the eyes of the students. So now students can do 5 externships. If you are so worried that you need to do more than 5, students have figured out how to get at least 6 (do your core rotations at hospitals with residencies), but these are more restricted than say DMU who can do a 3 month core at some places. We don't do 3 month cores, where you spend 3 months at a single hospital. We do individual rotations, so your Internal med, emergency med, general surgery are done at three different hospitals depending on where you are assigned. So now most of us are doing our core rotations in February, March, April, May. Many of us have a month off as well mixed in there.

For anatomy, some people show up to the extra lab hours, not surprisingly those are the students that do much better. In anatomy lab, if you study beforehand and have a good group, we were often finished in 3 hours and spent the last hour reviewing everything we did until we mastered it. Then you can show up to open lab hours and help your fellow students, or teach them, so they get up to speed. You know if you can teach others, that you have mastered that day's material, and teaching them ensures you know everything. It is true that our anatomy course is intense, and extremely thorough, and on par or ahead of some MD programs, but as long as you know everything in the textbook, you will do fine in the course, there are no crazy questions that weren't covered in the book.

I don't know anything about that Dermatopathology honors rotation. I think it went away for my year, and is now back? I don't know.

Reactions: 1 user
I like how he (Brandon) asked for "What are my Chances" and when the people on here gave him advice and especially mentioned his 1 on the verbal he begins to freak out and yell at you guys like it is the people who posts problem that he can't read correctly.

Also, schools can teach you how to better your understanding in the science department, but a college won't be able to help you for understanding how to read and comprehend a paragraph. To my mind, the verbal section is just as important b/c I would rather have a doctor who can read a paragraph and comprehend it than a guy who mixes up Simple or Channel diffusion.

And I like how he assumes that it was the graders fault that he got a 1. Give him advice and he acts like a little toddler

It isn't that the people above are humiliating him, but that when they gave him advice he just acted like a baby and said they were all wrong. If you aren't ready for critical responses then don't ask what your chances are.

Last edited:
I know most don't know the history of what is happening with CRIP (centralized residency interview process) or CASPR (centralized application for students for residency programs) CRIP = interviews and Caspr = applications. Check out Casprcrip.org.

Anyways, the profession keeps changing this schedule for a few reasons. Just a few years ago, you didn't need to pass part 1 or part 2 boards to get a residency. Well residencies got fed up with that and started only taking students that passed their boards. However, people would match into a residency, and then fail the boards, and then the director would kick them out and have to scramble to find a new candidate, often someone in the scramble. That is irritating as well. So as of this year, we are withdrawn from the match if we do not pass the boards. That is a lot of stress though, so as of this year students are given two chances at the boards before match, which is great for the students. Boards part 2 used to occur in Feb/March of senior year, but to get in 2 testing sessions before the match, a January part was added. Now boards part 2 is January and February, so we have scores before match in March, and anyone failing can be pulled out of the match. This will stop program directors from having to drop candidates and find new ones, and also gives students three opportunities to pass boards each year, because if they pass the third time, they can still scramble late. Make sense?

So whereas we used to do rotations up into January and February, everything is now happening sooner, so January has become a wasted month, and February is after match. Schools are now stopping externships before January, and instead doing core rotations after January. I say schools loosely, because I know this applied to NY and Temple at least.

NY used to have 4 externships for everyone, and an optional fifth if you were a good student (had a B in surgery class), but mostly everyone did 5 if they wanted to. This year, they are removing a one month rotation called "CHR", or comprehensive podiatric hospital rotation, it was not a meaningful month in the eyes of the students. So now students can do 5 externships. If you are so worried that you need to do more than 5, students have figured out how to get at least 6 (do your core rotations at hospitals with residencies), but these are more restricted than say DMU who can do a 3 month core at some places. We don't do 3 month cores, where you spend 3 months at a single hospital. We do individual rotations, so your Internal med, emergency med, general surgery are done at three different hospitals depending on where you are assigned. So now most of us are doing our core rotations in February, March, April, May. Many of us have a month off as well mixed in there.

For anatomy, some people show up to the extra lab hours, not surprisingly those are the students that do much better. In anatomy lab, if you study beforehand and have a good group, we were often finished in 3 hours and spent the last hour reviewing everything we did until we mastered it. Then you can show up to open lab hours and help your fellow students, or teach them, so they get up to speed. You know if you can teach others, that you have mastered that day's material, and teaching them ensures you know everything. It is true that our anatomy course is intense, and extremely thorough, and on par or ahead of some MD programs, but as long as you know everything in the textbook, you will do fine in the course, there are no crazy questions that weren't covered in the book.

I don't know anything about that Dermatopathology honors rotation. I think it went away for my year, and is now back? I don't know.

cool beans-very nice breakdown :thumbup:

I imagine that landing core rotations at hospitals with residencies is competitive...there are some hospitals with a 'lottery' already attached to their externships like Jamaica and Interfaith, for example. What makes these sites more sought after than any other site offering both externship and residency spots? How does the 'lottery' work?

Have any idea how many eligible students go un-matched each year? It seems like given the number of residencies and the number of incoming students (assuming all graduate, which is never the case), that some spots should go unfilled each cycle. What's your take on this matter?

Hi I was wondering if any NYCPM students could kindly answers some of the random questions that I am inquiring about:

1. I was wondering if someone could break down the typical day schedules for basically all four classes (fresh, soph, junior, and senior) just in regards to typical class durations (i.e. how long days are).
2. how do people like that all testing is done with laptops now at NYCPM?
3. Do you feel like you are just studying all the time? I mean this basically by the fact that I know days are long in labs/lectures and I'm wondering if you ever get some down time to do stuff around the city/have a life. Someone I talked to from Temple Podiatry basically said they have exams every 2-3 days so it always feels like "finals time" according to him. Is this similar at NYCPM? I don't understand how you are tested that frequently how many grades do they want?
4. If you have time in between classes/labs/etc., where do you usually spend your time? Are there nearby food places that are reasonable or is it advised to get the meal plan at NYCPM?

Thanks in advance NYCPM is my number 1 choice for next cycle. Any info would be more than appreciated!

Hi there! I'm a first year at NYCPM so I'll try to answer your questions from what I have experienced thus far!

1) For first years our typical day runs from 9AM to anywhere from 1PM to 6:00 PM depending on we have lab or not. Labs are usually once or twice a week. For second year it is more of the same but the days start at 8AM instead of 9AM. Third year I hear is much different in the fact that a lot of time is spent in the clinic. You still have lectures, but there is a lot more hands on learning. Fourth year is externships

2) When I came to NYCPM I had to adjust to the electronic test taking, but it only took me a maximum of 2 or 3 test to get acclimated. I can still flag question, cross out answers I know are incorrect, etc. I am also really glad that when it comes time for boards I will already be well adjusted to taking an exam on the computer.

3) The curriculum is rigorous. There's no doubt about that. There is a lot expected of the students. We usually have 2 exams a week. Some weeks we have 1, and some weeks we have 3, but average is about 2. That said my friends and I usually find time once every 2 or 3 weeks to get out enjoy everything NYC has to offer.

4) I don't personally have the meal plan, but I know that some people find it very convenient. Around the school is a plethora of restaurants. The prices around the area are very reasonable. You can find large sandwiches for under $5.00, jamaican food for $6.00, and $1.00 pizza slices just to name a few options.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other question! :)

that could get ugly...for my belly

cool beans-very nice breakdown :thumbup:

I imagine that landing core rotations at hospitals with residencies is competitive...there are some hospitals with a 'lottery' already attached to their externships like Jamaica and Interfaith, for example. What makes these sites more sought after than any other site offering both externship and residency spots? How does the 'lottery' work?

Have any idea how many eligible students go un-matched each year? It seems like given the number of residencies and the number of incoming students (assuming all graduate, which is never the case), that some spots should go unfilled each cycle. What's your take on this matter?
While I don't have the exact numbers... we have a very good track record (especially in recent years) of eligible students matching. The percentage of eligible 4th years matching is near 100%. I don't have a document or published number to link you to, but that is what I've heard when I talked directly to the administration (as a current student, not when I was a prospective student).
Hi I was wondering if any NYCPM students could kindly answers some of the random questions that I am inquiring about:

1. I was wondering if someone could break down the typical day schedules for basically all four classes (fresh, soph, junior, and senior) just in regards to typical class durations (i.e. how long days are).
2. how do people like that all testing is done with laptops now at NYCPM?
3. Do you feel like you are just studying all the time? I mean this basically by the fact that I know days are long in labs/lectures and I'm wondering if you ever get some down time to do stuff around the city/have a life. Someone I talked to from Temple Podiatry basically said they have exams every 2-3 days so it always feels like "finals time" according to him. Is this similar at NYCPM? I don't understand how you are tested that frequently how many grades do they want?
4. If you have time in between classes/labs/etc., where do you usually spend your time? Are there nearby food places that are reasonable or is it advised to get the meal plan at NYCPM?

Thanks in advance NYCPM is my number 1 choice for next cycle. Any info would be more than appreciated!
1. dpmin2016 already discussed the 1st year hours. 2nd year is a bit strange. Classes start at 8am almost every day. 3rd semester you have lab MTW (pathology, physical assessment, and lower) so you'll end somewhere between 4-5pm. ThF usually ends a little earlier. 4th semester you don't have labs anymore (woohoo!) but you do have random 2-3 hour gaps between classes because all the professors are clinicians so we have to work around their schedule.

2. I don't view computer testing as a positive or negative. You just kind of get used to it really quickly. The school hasn't really taken advantage of it yet, but one of the main benefits is that they can add multimedia questions. In gross anatomy we had test questions that involved a video that we had to watch. And in courses like histo and path, it allows us to enlarge the pictures of the slides so we can see things more clearly. It also allows complete randomization in the order of test questions AND test answer choices so it helps eliminate cheating. Finally, it is more environmentally friendly, especially on those exams that have 60+ questions. It definitely saves a lot of paper and ink.

3. I'm not going to sugarcoat it. The exam schedule is tough, but it's better now than it was a year ago. They changed the policy so that 3 exam weeks don't occur unless something catastrophic like Sandy happens and the school closes for a week, causing the schedule to get messed up. I know the number of tests sounds insane as a pre-pod, but once you get here, it'll kind of make sense. Personally, the exam schedule is one of the reasons why I chose NYCPM. In undergrad I was lazy and procrastinated a lot, so I chose a school that would force me to study hard on a daily basis. I'm doing well in classes and still manage to go out about twice a month, which is feel is often enough to relieve stress.

4. I usually stay at school, but if I'm going out with friends there's always a bar to explore. Somehow the night always ends up in ktown though lol. And if my girlfriend is in town I become a tourist for the weekend. There are a lot of spots to eat around campus. I am personally on the meal plan, because without it I don't think I'd ever eat fresh fruits or vegetables. $8.50 a day for breakfast and lunch is a good price for the amount of food you get.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

NYCPM students,

Do u have any classmates who were accepted after May?

While I don't have the exact numbers... we have a very good track record (especially in recent years) of eligible students matching. The percentage of eligible 4th years matching is near 100%. I don't have a document or published number to link you to, but that is what I've heard when I talked directly to the administration (as a current student, not when I was a prospective student).

1. dpmin2016 already discussed the 1st year hours. 2nd year is a bit strange. Classes start at 8am almost every day. 3rd semester you have lab MTW (pathology, physical assessment, and lower) so you'll end somewhere between 4-5pm. ThF usually ends a little earlier. 4th semester you don't have labs anymore (woohoo!) but you do have random 2-3 hour gaps between classes because all the professors are clinicians so we have to work around their schedule.

2. I don't view computer testing as a positive or negative. You just kind of get used to it really quickly. The school hasn't really taken advantage of it yet, but one of the main benefits is that they can add multimedia questions. In gross anatomy we had test questions that involved a video that we had to watch. And in courses like histo and path, it allows us to enlarge the pictures of the slides so we can see things more clearly. It also allows complete randomization in the order of test questions AND test answer choices so it helps eliminate cheating. Finally, it is more environmentally friendly, especially on those exams that have 60+ questions. It definitely saves a lot of paper and ink.

3. I'm not going to sugarcoat it. The exam schedule is tough, but it's better now than it was a year ago. They changed the policy so that 3 exam weeks don't occur unless something catastrophic like Sandy happens and the school closes for a week, causing the schedule to get messed up. I know the number of tests sounds insane as a pre-pod, but once you get here, it'll kind of make sense. Personally, the exam schedule is one of the reasons why I chose NYCPM. In undergrad I was lazy and procrastinated a lot, so I chose a school that would force me to study hard on a daily basis. I'm doing well in classes and still manage to go out about twice a month, which is feel is often enough to relieve stress.

4. I usually stay at school, but if I'm going out with friends there's always a bar to explore. Somehow the night always ends up in ktown though lol. And if my girlfriend is in town I become a tourist for the weekend. There are a lot of spots to eat around campus. I am personally on the meal plan, because without it I don't think I'd ever eat fresh fruits or vegetables. $8.50 a day for breakfast and lunch is a good price for the amount of food you get.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hey Jose, I'll be starting this fall at NYCPM. Do u have any advice as to what I should do during the summer? Should I brush up on any school work or work try a save up $$ or just relax?

NYCPM students,

Do u have any classmates who were accepted after May?
Yes, one of my roommates was actually accepted after May. But don't bank on that because seats will fill up. The class of 2016 had a waiting list. Although NYCPM has one of the largest class sizes, we are also the only school with a January class. So when you apply for the fall term, there are about 20-25 seats already taken, and you're trying to get a spot in the remaining 80ish seats.
Hey Jose, I'll be starting this fall at NYCPM. Do u have any advice as to what I should do during the summer? Should I brush up on any school work or work try a save up $$ or just relax?
Just relax. Personally I went to Korea for 2 weeks for fun/sightseeing and then stayed at my parents' house for 2 more weeks before moving to NYC. You're going to be stressed out within the first couple weeks of classes (exams start on week 3 and don't stop until finals) so just enjoy your time off.

PS: my name is not Jose, although I know my username is confusing lol

hey everyone,

I am attending the open house tomorrow at NYCPM and wanted to get advice. I was planning to wait until January to apply as I got a 19 on my MCAT 2 summers ago and am retaking it next month. However, I was wondering what anyone thinks of applying for September with my 19MCAT and 3.3cGPA. I have shadowed a POD for +30hrs. I have 3 academic LOR's and 2 LOR's from ER doctors that I work with. I have done 2 research projects at the hospital along with a oncology internship. I been a ER scribe for 7 months which counts as shadowing and volunteer hours. Is it too late in the cycle to apply with these stats? Will I have any chance in June when they see the new score?

Thanks!

can someone clarify of the class scheduling and calendar i'm slightly confused. So year one you start in august and finish in dec and get two weeks off (so sem 1 yr 1 is 4 months), then second semester for yr one starts in january then a week and a half break in march/april for spring break and ends in mid may (so around 5 months) then 10 days off and then first semester of yr two starts in june you have a break for 10 days in sept and then end in october (5 months) and have a break for a month until nov. then second semester for yr two starts nov. (break for two weeks in dec-jan) and goes until may (around 7 months) and then you take the boards and have off until july and then after that for 3rd and 4th yrs its basically 12 mnths correct ?
and for junior yr for clerkships can you pick one hospital to do all the rotations )from metropolitan, lincoln, harlem, and the foot cent) or you need to do all 7 clerkships are the hospitals the school assigns. and for senior year you have to do the clerkships at the same hospitals except for emergency medicine and general surgery you can also do it as nassau correct?

can someone clarify of the class scheduling and calendar i'm slightly confused. So year one you start in august and finish in dec and get two weeks off (so sem 1 yr 1 is 4 months), then second semester for yr one starts in january then a week and a half break in march/april for spring break and ends in mid may (so around 5 months) then 10 days off and then first semester of yr two starts in june you have a break for 10 days in sept and then end in october (5 months) and have a break for a month until nov. then second semester for yr two starts nov. (break for two weeks in dec-jan) and goes until may (around 7 months) and then you take the boards and have off until july and then after that for 3rd and 4th yrs its basically 12 mnths correct ?
and for junior yr for clerkships can you pick one hospital to do all the rotations )from metropolitan, lincoln, harlem, and the foot cent) or you need to do all 7 clerkships are the hospitals the school assigns. and for senior year you have to do the clerkships at the same hospitals except for emergency medicine and general surgery you can also do it as nassau correct?

You're right about the schedule except second year ends in the beginning of April and you get the rest of April off for vacation. You then return in May for a course called Clinical Skills (super easy, a couple days a week, shadow some people down in the clinic so you're not lost once you're there). In June you work in the clinic for one week only just to show you how everything is run and such. In July you take the boards. You start your third year the day after the boards. 3rd and 4th year a 12 months with various breaks here and there (they're usually long weekends like 4 days or so - we just had a long weekend to include Good Friday and Easter Sunday and the first couple of days of Passover). You also get alotted a couple of personal days you can take whenever you want during your third year. I know it seems a bit hectic but you get used to it.

For junior year you go to all those hospitals - you rotate through them depending on your rotation (medicine rotation goes everywhere including Morrisenia and Mt. Sinai Hosp, surgery doesn't go to Harlem, Morrisenia or Mt. Sinai, orthopedics/pediatrics only goes to Metro and FCNY) so you don't get to choose, you just follow your rotation schedule. It gives you a lot of exposure to how the different hospitals are run.

Senior year you can choose what hospitals you want for your rotations, but yes, generally the same ones and yes, I think Nassau is allowed, as well.

Let me know if it's still confusing!

Hi, What is the 1rst yr retention rate at NYCPM? (# of entering 1rst yr students vs. # progressing to the 2nd yr)?

First year attrition averages at around 6%

I've never seen anything like this posted. Could you clarify how you determined this? Average of how many years? Are you counting anyone who leaves a class (life issues and grades)? Do you count students who are allowed to join the class year below them? Was this determined by the school or did you perform a head count of your own cohort.

Again - just curious because I've never really seen this posted at any school other than occasional remarks about certain schools having 15-20% attrition with no clarification.

I would say the 6% attrition rate after the first year is an accurate overall average. There is a wide range of reasons for students not staying in the program, from not adjusting well to the workload to pursuing other graduate programs or career options to personal emergencies or issues.
The more common reasons are usually the latter two. If a student is doing poorly in the class, there is a great outreach in terms of tutoring options, group studies, and peer support. There is also a retest period after finals to give students who failed a course or two the chance to take one final exam in order to pass the class with a FC- and move along with the curriculum. If this is not done, there is usually the option of joining the class below. Because of all of these opportunities to continue, if a person leaves the school it is usually due to a personal issue than an academic one.

Do u guys know of anyone doing a dual degree at nycpm? (Dpm/mph) I read that it could be done in 4-4.5 years. Would love to hear some opinions about the program!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Do u guys know of anyone doing a dual degree at nycpm? (Dpm/mph) I read that it could be done in 4-4.5 years. Would love to hear some opinions about the program!

During my interview, I ate lunch with a non-trad first year student who was concurrently enrolled in the MPH program at Mt. Sinai. What it comes down to is that it adds quite a bit more work and financial burden to one's education. It may well be a great experience, but personally, I would stay away from that route. She couldn't comment on the programs worth as she was recently starting, but there are great threads discussing the usefulness of the dual degree.

Just for curiosity sake, which Gray's Anatomy book? The BIG black 40th edition, or the smaller "for students" 2nd edition book?

During my interview, I ate lunch with a non-trad first year student who was concurrently enrolled in the MPH program at Mt. Sinai. What it comes down to is that it adds quite a bit more work and financial burden to one's education. It may well be a great experience, but personally, I would stay away from that route. She couldn't comment on the programs worth as she was recently starting, but there are great threads discussing the usefulness of the dual degree.

Cool, thanks for the reply!

Do you know about the pre health internship program ? Can you tell me about it ?

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for NYCPM to contact you for interview or a rejection after verification of application?

Thanks

I got an interview invite within a couple of weeks, but it could be longer or shorter. You could always call if you don't hear from them for a while, but they're usually very prompt.

thanks, it has been 1 week so far... Guess Ill give it another until I call them

does nycpm ever take back acceptances (already sent in a deposit)? Like you had a terrible last semester, but still graduating with a 3.3ish science.

No one knows the terms of your acceptance other than the administration of the school. Cowboy up, pick up the phone, and resolve this.

does nycpm ever take back acceptances (already sent in a deposit)? Like you had a terrible last semester, but still graduating with a 3.3ish science.

You are required to send in your transcript at the end of the year, and any school is allowed to rescind your acceptance and/or scholarship. You can call the school admission's office and check up on it.

I am also curious about that. If you call them, let me know what they say.

What is the class schedule like for the 1st 2 years? I know during my tour the student was saying classes start at 7:30am but what time do they finish?

I am Applying for the 2014 Class. I finished my Biology Bachelors but I didn't take Biochemistry, Anatomy&Physiology II, or Immunology, Do I have to take those courses to be accepted by podiatry schools, Thanks