Nycpm exposure to foot & ANKLE surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endoandre

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I've been checking on NewYork's podiatry scope of practice and I see not until recently it was only permitted to treat the foot, not the ankle. Now, this past February 2014 the law became effective for the treatment, Dx, and surgery of the ankle. Obviously you have proper training and qualifications (and a permit).

My question is: Do NYCPM student curriculum pay less attention to the ankle? Or for that matter to they focus a good deal on surgery or ankle surgery? I ask this because I'm really interested in reconstructive surgery in both the foot and ankle, and have great interest in attending nycpm as well. But, I definitely want to get the best school that addresses surgery. I know Ohio has a good focus on surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

I know you aim for a surgery residency. But maybe the exposure makes you seek it?

No school tailors its curriculum specifically to the scope of practice in that state. Not everybody who goes to podiatry school intends to practice in the state where they went to school. The schools follow specific standards set by the CPME and all teach (relatively speaking) the same material.