NYCPM graduation rate of 71%?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftjab

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in NYCPM however the only thing that's holding me back is the 71% graduation rate. Can someone please convince me that this is nothing to worry about? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing bigger school, higher attrition rate. Schools this size take students of all calibers with different backgrounds. Since some of the students selected are not top quality applicants, they do not make it. If you're serious about your studies, this shouldn't be a problem. Everyone can't be a podiatrist :). Look at Temple, School, and Kent. If the numbers are similar, this statement holds true. Hope this helps a little.

I've seen some terrible students come out of Kent and NY, likely because the larger the class size, the bigger the bottom of the barrel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen some terrible students come out of Kent and NY, likely because the larger the class size, the bigger the bottom of the barrel.
You have seen some really good students come from both schools too right??

Every school has 'those' students. As it was stated before, what matters is how dedicated/serious you are about your studies.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, NYCPM accepts two classes a year, winter and fall. It makes sense that there would be much higher attrition if they take an absurd amount of students, many of which will probably have a hard time in med school.

For what it's worth when I interviewed they said their attrition rate was 15%. I don't know why there is such a discrepancy. I'm likely going there and was concerned about the same thing, I've heard that a large portion of the January class doesn't transition to full time schooling well as they have trouble adjusting to the difference in study habits required. If true that likely accounts for much of the low rate.

You have seen some really good students come from both schools too right??

Indeed: one of our current underyears is from one of those schools and is absolutely exemplary. Another one of our juniors is also from one of those schools and is atrocious in about every way that I can imagine. It does come down to indivual talent, drive, personality, character and work ethic, more so than what school you go attend. However, I have seen more turds from those schools than winners. Doesn't mean you can't be a winner though.