NYCPM MPH Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docaddictedtotravel1992

Class of 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is currently completing the DPM/MPH dual degree at NYCPM. Just looking for more information about it--I'll definitely be asking once I get an interview but was looking for some insight before that!

Members don't see this ad.

Search for my username and MPH. I think its a bad idea. I'm not an NYCPM student, but I do have an MPH.

I searched that and didn't find anything. I'm kind of newbie on SDN so I might be doing it wrong lol. Could u explain why it would be a bad idea? The one negative I'm thinking is that it already takes a ton of time work to just do the DPM and maybe the added MPH might be too stressful with not a huge payback? Would having an MPH help in the future as far as residency placement and finding a job? I like the fact that it's through Mt. Sinai because it might provide for more networking but I don't know much about it so idk...

Members don't see this ad :)
I searched that and didn't find anything. I'm kind of newbie on SDN so I might be doing it wrong lol. Could u explain why it would be a bad idea? The one negative I'm thinking is that it already takes a ton of time work to just do the DPM and maybe the added MPH might be too stressful with not a huge payback? Would having an MPH help in the future as far as residency placement and finding a job? I like the fact that it's through Mt. Sinai because it might provide for more networking but I don't know much about it so idk...
MPH at Mount Sinai is $900/credit and 42 credits. This would be an extra $40,000+(with fees) to tack on. I think the online MPH at SUNY Albany would be more cost effective, unless money is not an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Sooo... I can't get to my old posts either.

I've got a couple of different ways to come at this - you take your pick. Here's the thing - you are signing up for a podiatry degree. It is incredibly expensive and time consuming. The DPM letters are pretty much worthless without a residency afterwards and residencies are competitive. There is truly an unlimited amount of medicine/podiatry that you could be studying while in school. I have at my fingers more journals and textbooks than I could ever read. So why let something else get in the way of a topic you need to be gaining mastery over.

The above is actually my backup argument. My real problem is that this is a "me too" degree. How long have you actually wanted to get an MPH degree? What do you think you are going to study during it? What is it going to do for you? I think if you want an MPH you should get it ... after residency. Learn about podiatry 1st. Go to the MPH school...that you have researched and know something about and that you know will get you what you want. An MPH needs to impart a number of skills - you need to leave it able to write, it would be great if you upped your statistics game or at least upped your understanding of interpreting statistics and epidemiology, and it would be swell if you got to do some research too. Last of all, it would be nice if you could gain insight into something you already knew about (and you won't have that until you finish your DPM and residency). Don't just assume this is something that any school can provide you. I have an MPH and too much of my coursework (feels like 1/2) was focused on things I have zero interest in that are "core" public health themes, but read like soft-science fluff.

Try this on for size - go to school, tear it up, rock an awesome residency, make academic connections and use them to get an MPH somewhere that focuses on the things you care about and furthers your career in the direction you want it to go.

Oh - and it costs a bunch of money.

Reactions: 2 users
@heybrother

Well said...I definitely agree with you and think that there's always time to do it later on and I should focus on the DPM degree, get the highest GPA I can attain, get into a residency and then maybe later think about finding a program. The dual-degree option was just enticing, but once you consider all the factors it makes much more sense to just do DPM. Thanks for your insight!