Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

NYIT to open new medical school in Arkansas

Discussion in 'Osteopathic' started by calvinhobbes, 12.07.13.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Looks like NYIT-COM is following in LECOM's, PCOM's, and Touro's footsteps and is looking to open up its first branch campus and install a new medical school with Arkansas State University. No wonder they changed their name from NYCOM to NYIT-COM a year ago, to expand their brand.

http://www.astate.edu/a/asunews/3cn...d1fe-b745-4070-b297-755b214a65e1#.UqNS9mRDvIY

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/95891/asu-discusses-osteopathic-medical-school-with-nyit

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/95891/asu-discusses-osteopathic-medical-school-with-nyit

Last edited: 12.09.13
  2. costales

costales

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    How are they going to name this one? NYITASUCOM?

3. NurWollen

NurWollen PhD in Pre-Medical Studies

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    How about NYITASUNOTTHEONEINARIZONACOM?

touchpause13 and InGen like this.
  4. GUH

GUH Underdawg Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    inb4 the anti-DO trolls start complaining that any new DO school is a bad thing

5. piviti

piviti

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Any new DO school is a good thing. We shall continue our PCR-like replication!

6. DrWBD

DrWBD Formerly 'wanna_be_do' Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Sigh

7. JGimpel

JGimpel You're in my seat

Resident [Any Field]
    It is.

8. user3

user3

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    New York Institute of Technology COM at Arkansas State University?

9. ulikedaggers

ulikedaggers Account on Hold

Medical Student
    NYICREATEMEDSCHOOLSWITHOUTMORERESIDENCYSPOTS-COM.

10. TheWeeIceMan

TheWeeIceMan And like that... *poof*... he's gone.

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Is it a good thing?

11. GUH

GUH Underdawg Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, as long as there are hundreds of unfilled PGY-1 positions each year.

12. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    ...But overall fewer than half as many AOA residency spots than there are DO graduates. Last year there were 5283 DO graduates, and 2228 AOA residency slots.

13. TheWeeIceMan

TheWeeIceMan And like that... *poof*... he's gone.

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Well sure, but that won't be the case for much longer. By the time this school gets up and running and graduates it's first class, I suspect we'll be in a much different landscape for unfilled residency spots.

14. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Responsible?!?! PGY3 Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Why do you keep propagating this myth? There are hundreds of spots AFTER the match, but not as of July 1, AFTER SOAP and out of match late offers .

touchpause13 likes this.
  15. JGimpel

Resident [Any Field]
  16. hallowmann

hallowmann

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    By the time I graduate there will be ~6500 DO graduates, and by 2020 there will be ~7000 DO graduates, something like a 100% growth in 15 years. No matter how much GME expansion we have, I'm not sure we'll be able to support that type of graduate growth.

The one sliver of hope is that COCA passed new regulations in July requiring more emphasis for new schools to establish adequate OGMEs for their new students and allocate sufficient rotation sites before accreditation.

The AOA also added over 1000 OGME spots this year, but many are ONLY TRIs, which doesn't really fix the problem. Also as JGimpel alluded to, many open spots are in less desirable areas or fields.

At this point, DOs should just hope to stay out of the bottom 5-10% of their class.

17. Ibn Alnafis MD

Ibn Alnafis MD

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    For your graduating class, I expect the number of graduate to not exceed 6000. The total first-year enrollment for the class of 2017 was 6641. Data from previous years show a ~10% attrition rate (5222 started school in 2009 and 4726 graduated in 2013). Extrapolating the data, your graduating class should have 5977 students.

18. serenade

serenade Medical Alchemist

Medical Student (Accepted)
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    To compare that's about as many people failing out of Ross & SGU each year.

19. hallowmann

hallowmann

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Isn't the average DO attrition rate somewhere around 5-7%? Where are the extra people going, or is there some inconsistency in the way its being reported?

20. Ibn Alnafis MD

Ibn Alnafis MD

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    The data show that the graduation rate for some of the more "established" school to be 95%+. However, there are other schools that have an attrition rates of near 10, 15 or even 20%. This link http://www.aacom.org/data/studenten...elim enroll report 2013 fast facts 103013.pdf will provide you with the number of graduates in 2013 for each school. This link http://www.aacom.org/data/graduates/Documents/Apps_Enroll_Grads_byCOM_2006-11.pdf contains the number of first-year enrollment per school in 2009. Subtract on from the other and you get the graduation rate for each school.

21. hallowmann

hallowmann

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, no, I get what you're saying. I didn't doubt that your numbers were correct, I just remember looking at the AOA attrition by COM document, which shows an average attrition of ~3.18% for 2010-2011. Then I looked more closely at it, and it seems that by "mean total attrition" they meant averaged per year across the 4 years, so actual attrition seems somewhere between 9% to 12%.

Some COMs do have low average attrition rates, somewhere in the realm of 0.64-1% averaged per year across the 4 years, while one in particular that started in 2007 (and I don't know how this is possible) had a first class attrition rate of >9% averaged per year across 4 years (which after adjusting for the "new" class size each year comes to a total attrition of ~31% for their charter class). They are also an outlier, as most COMs were <6% averaged per year across the 4 years (which is still huge).

It seems overall for an averaage DO school attrition is something like ~12% for a class like the one that graduated in 2011, which is pretty high. If we take out the outlier with the crazy attrition in its charter class, that's closer to ~9%, which is in line with what you estimated.

Also, for those interested, attrition seems to peak 1st year and 3rd year, with significantly lower attrition rates 2nd year, and especially low rates 4th year (all of which I guess makes sense).

Approximately half the total COM attrition seems to be attributed to withdrawals/dismissals while the other half is associated with leaves of absence.

Last edited: 12.13.13
  22. JGimpel

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry I couldn't find a more recent link to compare MD vs. DO school attrition rates, but it looks like the MD schools have far less.

https://www.aamc.org/download/102346/data/

This one has some pretty good direct links in the article:
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/12/even_in_medical_school_affirmative_action_rules.html

A study of med school attrition in the UK found many of the reasons that students leave school for and they can't be that different from those in the US.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1472-6920-13-13
    "Absenteeism was documented in 30% of students, academic difficulty in 55.7%, social isolation in 20%, and psychological morbidity in 40% (higher than other studies). Qualitative analysis revealed recurrent themes of isolation, failure, and despair. Student Welfare services were only accessed by one-third of dropout students."

While, no, I don't believe that 10-20% of students are failed out every few months (geez guys, relax much?) I believe that the support for students to keep them out of trouble with the main reasons why they do fail out is far better in the MD schools than in the DO schools and we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves when we hit a rough patch during school. Our schools definitely shouldn't be as hard on us if we're having problems and should have support set in place for those that do and only after all of these avenues are exhausted should they consider dismissing someone.

23. costales

costales

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well, I think you're dealing with a different educational model and age group. Med school starts after high school in the UK - a 1st year med student in the UK is an 18-year-old high school graduate.

24. JGimpel

Resident [Any Field]
    The same issues they list would affect medical students anywhere in the world, wouldn't they? My point is that the same problems not difficult to see, so any program that truly cares about their students should be willing to have plans in place to address them before it becomes too late.

It is my opinion that the DO schools do not put as much effort forward in that regard than the MD schools. If someone has reason for me to think otherwise, even in the light of graduation rates that are all over the place in DO schools, please feel free to do so.

Last edited: 12.24.13
  25. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    SnowDoggy44 likes this.
  26. DocEspana

DocEspana Two speeds in my yard: Walk and shuffle

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    NYIT on the least NY state imagineable?

[​IMG]

Dr. Zombie and Telekinesis like this.
  27. BMSc2DO

BMSc2DO

Pre-Medical
    "I'll go ahead and apply for medical school, and if for some reason down the road it doesn't work out, I'll try for the doctorate of osteopathy," Oliver said. ..... oh man

SnowDoggy44 likes this.
  28. Mehd School

Mehd School Dale DOback

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Came back to comment. I love that his #1 choice would be for a degree that he's obviously never heard of before. Good grief.

That's a hell of a good start for the medical school in the public's eye.

GUH and BMSc2DO like this.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal