NYITCOM-Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's important to keep in mind that standards for gaining accreditation (like NYITCOM-ASU has) haven't changed, but the shortage of physicians is growing exponentially.

People seem to have a problem with so many medical schools cropping up in the past decade. Maybe aspiring physicians want to feel like they're a part of an exclusive club? Zero medical schools opened from 1983-2000. Clearly that raised some concern/created some problems and now we're all having to reconcile them. If the quality of physicians in healthcare falls off a quality cliff then I'll eat my words, but I'd be willing to wager that the pros (increased access to professional medical care) outweigh the cons (<insert opinion here>).

I am totally OK with more schools (though they are pretty pointless without more residencies). I really dislike these weird "Philadelphia COM in Georgia", "Midwestern U in Phoenix" and now "NYIT in Arkansas" things.

That being said, AZCOM is at the top of my DO school list, so I realize this doesn't actually matter. I just don't like the aesthetic haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am totally OK with more schools (though they are pretty pointless without more residencies). I really dislike these weird "Philadelphia COM in Georgia", "Midwestern U in Phoenix" and now "NYIT in Arkansas" things.

That being said, AZCOM is at the top of my DO school list, so I realize this doesn't actually matter. I just don't like the aesthetic haha.

The "branding" of these satellites is pretty random, haha, and I agree with the residency statement!

Reactions: 1 user
^Thanks for the tips :) Was it an open or closed file interview?

Well he had some papers in front of him but only made reference to some medical mission stuff and other ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm never on SDN but I understand how it seems to quell and aggravate nerves. People read when others receive IIs and what their stats were going in, but it doesn't help your application. I think people should realize all they can do is wait and remain positive and hopeful. If you know my stats, how does that help you while you are in queue? It's entirely different if you're simply wondering whether you should apply. Just saying, if you've interviewed, what else can you do but wait? I can't imagine worrying all the time. Maybe I'm dating myself. Haha. Anyway, wishing everyone all the best! And I'll still answer questions, just wanted to put that thought out.

Building will be done in May! Saw floor plans for all 4 levels. Looks like it's gonna be nice! Do take a trip!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

In light of multiple PMs:

Secondary submitted: 12/11
Interview invite: 01/06
Interview: 01/20
Fin Aid Email: 01/26
Date on acceptance letter: 01/22
Actual arrival of letter: 01/28
Chopped wood: 01/30

Reactions: 1 users
II yesterday. Is the class filled already? What kind of questions were asked? What was your attire?

just received my acceptance letter today!

interview: 1/19
acceptance: 2/2

cumulative GPA: 3.60
science GPA: 3.49
MCAT: i'd rather not say because it was lower than i expected to score

Last edited:
Hey guys! Just received an II today (complete 11/09 with NYIT in NY). I didn't apply to the Arkansas campus, but from reading through this thread I guess your application gets automatically submitted for the Arkansas campus when you apply to NY. I'm not sure if anyone has been able to find this out yet, but if we interview for the Arkansas campus, are we still considered for the NY campus?

Also, for anyone who has interviewed already, any topics I should go over or tips that might be helpful? This is my first med school interview so I honestly don't know how to go about preparing, and with this being via video conference I am even more unsure of what to expect.

Lastly, for those who interviewed, any positive/negative takeaways from the interview regarding the program itself? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Just received an II today (complete 11/09 with NYIT in NY). I didn't apply to the Arkansas campus, but from reading through this thread I guess your application gets automatically submitted for the Arkansas campus when you apply to NY. I'm not sure if anyone has been able to find this out yet, but if we interview for the Arkansas campus, are we still considered for the NY campus?

Also, for anyone who has interviewed already, any topics I should go over or tips that might be helpful? This is my first med school interview so I honestly don't know how to go about preparing, and with this being via video conference I am even more unsure of what to expect.

Lastly, for those who interviewed, any positive/negative takeaways from the interview regarding the program itself? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

How did you know you were complete?

I'm in a similar boat. I also want to know if we could be considered for NY campus. I interview 2/10 and will let you know about that and about the program itself.

From experience interviewing, just know your application well and be able to explain any "blemishes" in your application. Relax and be enthusiastic about the school. I'd recommend looking up the school beforehand so you have questions to ask when it's time for that. (You never want to be silent when they ask if you have any questions lol)

I'm in a similar boat. I also want to know if we could be considered for NY campus. I interview 2/10 and will let you know about that and about the program itself.

From experience interviewing, just know your application well and be able to explain any "blemishes" in your application. Relax and be enthusiastic about the school. I'd recommend looking up the school beforehand so you have questions to ask when it's time for that. (You never want to be silent when they ask if you have any questions lol)
Thanks so much for the tips! I will definitely keep all that in mind when preparing for the interview. If I am able to find out any more information about the program from anyone else, or if we still have a shot at the NY campus, I'll message you. Best of luck on your interview!

just received my acceptance letter today!

interview: 1/19
acceptance: 2/2

cumulative GPA: 3.60
science GPA: 3.49
MCAT: i'd rather not say because it was lower than i expected to score
Congrats! Did you also get that Financial Aid email prior to your actual acceptance letter like some of the other accepted applicants?

I interviewed on 1/26, got my acceptance packet on 2/1. 90% percent sure I'm going there.
Congrats! Did you get a financial aid email before your letter like the others?

for those of you interviewing soon, you really need to review the interview feedback surveys on SDN! 80% of the interview questions come from there. that's how i prepared and the interview went pretty smoothly other than a couple of curveball questions, which i tried to add when i completed my survey. best of luck! you're more than welcome to PM me if you have any further questions!

II! Earliest date is the 23rd of Feb.

I just got an email about housing which will be some of the upper classman apartments located on ASU's campus like the Red Wolf Den. They will apparently match med students with med students to similar likes and study habits. In the next year they will be building a new apartment complex for just the medical students only. I dunno if I should go for it and take a roommate? :scared::scared: I bench and I don't smoke bro.

For the folks that have interviewed and gotten accepted. Is this what the early finacial aid email reads?

"The staff of the Office of Financial Aid is pleased to congratulate you on your admission’s interview for the New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine at Arkansas State University (NYITCOM at A-State) class of 2020.

We realize that you may have questions regarding financing your medical education and would be happy to address them with you. We are available via phone, email and Zoom during our business hours Monday-Friday 8:30- 5:30 –Eastern Time. Please feel free to review our financial aid website.

We are excited to get to know you and we look forward to helping you decide how to finance your NYITCOM D.O. degree. You will be receiving a phone call from our office very soon.

Sincerely"

Is this good news? Don't want to get too excited....

Thanks in advance :wow:

That is good news. You have been accepted. That is what mine read. Congrats!!

That is good news. You have been accepted. That is what mine read. Congrats!!

Thanks for the prompt reply !

Dont give up guys. Just remember the boat doesn't sink because the water around it. It sinks when the water gets in. Stay focused and stay positive. Easier said than done, but if this is your goal dont let anyone tell you its not possible. Especially a numerical statistic.

Anyone know if the tuition here is the same as the New York campus?

A-state is 49,500

Do you guys know if any rejection letters have been sent post-interview?

Last edited:
Officially turned down my acceptance here; hopefully it goes to one of you!

is there a deposit for this school. i don't see any place in the acceptance packet that indicates one

For those of you accepted, do you know how long it takes to hear back from admissions post interview?

I heard pre maturely from financial aid department. But it was a week & 1 day.

Any information on clinical rotations? Any associated GME? Any major cons other than simply being a new school?

is there a deposit for this school. i don't see any place in the acceptance packet that indicates one

I am not sure about the deposit because when you log on to the NYIT connect website, the first thing it mentions is paying an acceptance deposit. I ended up paying the graduate amount of 500$ because I wasn't sure but I did email them asking about this. If there is no deposit I hope I get my money back. :slap:

I am not sure about the deposit because when you log on to the NYIT connect website, the first thing it mentions is paying an acceptance deposit. I ended up paying the graduate amount of 500$ because I wasn't sure but I did email them asking about this. If there is no deposit I hope I get my money back. :slap:
think ill call and ask tomorrow before sending in my paperwork then

There is no deposit. I specifically went to A-State campus and spoke with two different people. I also spoke to a gentleman at NYIT. There is no deposit.

How would the school know if someone is committed or not if there is no deposit.

You have to send the forms in to them by a specific date that is stated in the congratulations letter. You either accept or deny.

Majority of the people are gonna accept and just deny later on down the road. I think making someone pay a deposit weeds out people who were just interviewing for the heck of it and they already have several other acceptances.

The gentleman said since they started interviews late they were not going to make this inaugural class pay a deposit. While it may weed people out, I'm not complaining about not having to pay a deposit! Generous in my book. This is especially beneficial for those who have deposits in at other places, but may want to see what the school is going to look like in person, meet the staff, and get further details before they make their final decision. The blueprints look amazing & the staff I met with was phenomenal! However, I am anxious to see the finish product!

Reactions: 4 users
Any information on clinical rotations? Any associated GME? Any major cons other than simply being a new school?

From the fact sheet:
"More than 400 potential graduate medical education slots are under discussion with 19 community partners. Sixty-six slots are already approved. "