NYMC Accelerated M.S. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to bring up an old thread..

But I haven't seen anything on the forums recently for NYMC's AMP!

I was accepted to the program recently and I was hoping to get some more recent feedback (I've read through this thread already) about how the program is doing (how many in the last class? guys to girls ratio? where you guys came from? etc.), how the courses were (is the first block still really easily while the second block ridiculously hard?) for you guys and what the success rate of the past year or two has been.. (how many have gotten interviews/acceptances)

Most of all if you guys could give recommendations for moving there, living in Valhalla, what to do, where to live, how to use our time during the program, etc. etc. I appreciate it!

Also, who's planning on attending this coming fall!?

Thanks and let's get NYMC's SMP discussion back up! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP!

Does no one go to this school anymore? lol

Hey! I am currently applying to this program! It seems like a great program! I am submitting my application within the week. Let me know if you find out any helpful details. I will do the same. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Clouds22...I recently applied to the AMP too. Did you hear back yet?

Hey Clouds22...I recently applied to the AMP too. Did you hear back yet?

No.. not yet. I finally submitted the application on May12th. I looked on line and saw that one transcript and letter was missing. So I am going to call them Monday. I am not in the NY area, but plan on visiting the end of the month. Have you?

All my papers were received by the 1st. And I emailed my winter semester grades to Dr. Levine thru email. I hope to hear in the nxt cpl of weeks. Really want to get into this program. You should call the grad office to ask if they got those papers. It says on their website that they take 2-4 weeks after you submit your app.

All my papers were received by the 1st. And I emailed my winter semester grades to Dr. Levine thru email. I hope to hear in the nxt cpl of weeks. Really want to get into this program. You should call the grad office to ask if they got those papers. It says on their website that they take 2-4 weeks after you submit your app.

I called them and they finally processed my application. There was some LOR confusion. I am going to meet with Dr. Lerea next week. Have you heard anything yet? Are you applying to any other programs? This school was my back up choice.

I submitted my app on 5/12
It was processed on 5/25
Interview invitation on 5/26
Interviewed via phone on 6/06

....waiting for a reply

I haven't visited Drexel and I don't know enough about it to be able to say whether it's better than NYMC, but I visited the NYMC campus and thought it was really nice. I also found this blog by a past NYMC SMP student (http://backdoortomedschool.blogspot.com/) - hope it helps you make your decision.

I'm currently deciding between Jefferson's one-year MPH program and this NYMC MS program. Which do you think would be better for me to get into medical school with my stats?

Grad: University of Penn
GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.64
MCAT: 34

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, solidwater, I live in PHiladelphia now and could give you some insight into Drexel's program. It has a large class, less individual attention than NYMC, but it's in a city. NYMC is in Valhalla (a desolate suburb of NYC), but it's going to be a great boost for medical school given the individual attention you receive from faculty, advisors and peers. I believe a recommendation from NYMC would mean a lot more than a rec from Drexel, also. Plus you receive an MS from NYMC's program! I think the program at Valhalla is way better than Drexel's and would be more beneficial when applying to medical school.

Sorry this is SO late, but I figured I'd add some insight from this year's AMP class.

Our program as a whole did pretty fantastically. We had 16 people in it, and for whatever reason, it was split 12 guys, 4 girls (the split was way more even the years before). From our program, 13 people applied this year. Program stats:

10 Interviewed at NYMC, 8 were accepted, 1 currently wait-listed
3 will be attending other MD schools
4 got multiple MD acceptances

So now that all that's over, I can tell you that this program was a great experience and I'd like to highlight some things for all potential attendees or applicants to consider:

1. The program gives you ample time in the first block (Histology/Cell Bio & Biostats/Epidemiology) to adjust your study habits, etc. to the way this medical school's courses function. Spend this time to really iron out any kinks in your study habits, because you'll barely have any time to breathe second block (Biochem & Physiology; this block gives you the same basic science courseload as the medical students).

2. Classes for medical students are graded on the scale: Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail. For us AMP students, that translates to Honors = A, High Pass = A-, and Pass = B+ to C-. Honors was usually 90+ (but that depends on curve, it can be curved down).

3. I'd say the most of us gelled pretty well together in the AMP program, especially since we were all "in it together." But I do have to say that the student body at NYMC is extremely friendly and supportive, so definitely make friends and integrate yourself into their community because, other than the obvious fact you'd be making friends, they have way more resources available or made known to them.

4. This program specifically is very small and close-knit, and while there is not a lot of structure with the administrative input into our program, they do a good enough job of supporting you when you need it. Also, the small size of the program is great because it gives you a chance to, in some parts, truly experience what medical school is like, because, other than your small class, all the students you'll be surrounded with are medical students.

Lastly, regarding that MS degree, which requires coursework + a lit review/research thesis... none of us, save for one, actually did any work on it because we have 5 years to finish it. The only one who worked on it had to because the medical school they got into required the full degree to be earned before matriculation. But of course, that's completely up to you as an individual.

The one complaint I have about this program is that they REALLY make you wait until near the end of the year to hear about getting in. We mostly heard about interviews at NYMC in January/February; all of us interviewed throughout March; a few people got in outright near the end of April and the rest got in off the waitlist periodically after May 15th.

Best advice for incoming AMP students: just be prepared to work hard but take the time to enjoy the environment you're in, because everyone, including most faculty and the student body, are extremely friendly and accessible. If you guys have any other questions, feel free to PM me and good luck!

I'm currently deciding between Jefferson's one-year MPH program and this NYMC MS program. Which do you think would be better for me to get into medical school with my stats?

Grad: University of Penn
GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.64
MCAT: 34

With your stats you don't need this program. If you are not applying for medical school this year then take time to relax/travel/work/research instead of doing a master's, especially a SMP which could hurt your chances a lot, or provide only marginal benefit.

If you really want a masters, do an MPH. If you apply early and broadly, you are a lock to get in somewhere.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has started applying yet?

j

Last edited:
I am looking to apply to this year's Accelerated program, but having just spoken to the director of the program over the phone about my situation (low undergrad GPA, high postbac GPA with a 29S, 2 years out of school), he recommended I do a gap year after the program to do research/etc and strenghthen my application. I figured I could interview after the first 2/3 blocks of the AMP were done and get in for the same year. What has been your guys experience? Since I'm waiting on two DO school wait lists now and I'd withdraw from them, I know I am betting all my chips on this program in a way -- but I really want to go ... just not take another gap year, don't see why it's so necessary if I do well in the Masters.

Just got into the accelerated program at NYMC. Applying to schools and hoping that it's going to be a positive step towards getting into their med school next year. I'm kinda surprised at the lack of activity on the forum for these programs this year, don't know what to make of that.

Anyone else out there in the same master's boat?

Just got into the accelerated program at NYMC. Applying to schools and hoping that it's going to be a positive step towards getting into their med school next year. I'm kinda surprised at the lack of activity on the forum for these programs this year, don't know what to make of that.

Anyone else out there in the same master's boat?

When did you submit your application? I just applied last week.

Submitted 5/18. Interview invitation 5/25, interviewed 6/4, accepted 6/7.

Hello everyone,

I will be starting a traditional track masters at NYMC in August; heard housing in the area is tough to secure, so I am looking for a roommate or two, so as to expand housing options. I am clean, quiet, considerate, and quite frankly, you would mostly have the place to yourself, as I bounce between NYMC and Manhattan. Primarily looking for something within walking distance of a train station on the metroNorth.

If anyone is interested in a 2-way or 3-way apartment share, please private message me promptly and we could chat to see if we would be compatible roommates.

Thanks!

Hi,
I recently got offered a phone interview and had a few questions.. Do any alumni or current students for the accelerated program have any statistics they could shoot this way?

-I have a 29P MCAT and am wondering if I do exceptionally well in this program, would I have to retake the MCAT or is that not high enough?

-I am debating between this program and Boston's MAMS, but want to ensure the highest chance of matriculating in an MD school. My preference would be to attend med school in the Fall of 2013, but it looks like for BU I will have to retake the MCAT next spring/summer and apply next year which I really don't want to do?

Any help is awesome!

Hi,
I recently got offered a phone interview and had a few questions.. Do any alumni or current students for the accelerated program have any statistics they could shoot this way?

-I have a 29P MCAT and am wondering if I do exceptionally well in this program, would I have to retake the MCAT or is that not high enough?

-I am debating between this program and Boston's MAMS, but want to ensure the highest chance of matriculating in an MD school. My preference would be to attend med school in the Fall of 2013, but it looks like for BU I will have to retake the MCAT next spring/summer and apply next year which I really don't want to do?

Any help is awesome!

I'm in the same boat as you -- 29S MCAT. I too would like some input from past students!

do you guys think its too late to apply now?
my mcat score is available in early july, any thoughts?

do you guys think its too late to apply now?
my mcat score is available in early july, any thoughts?

I am throwing my hat in the ring today. Why the hell not? Not expecting much but I will feel better if I try. Go for it. You only live once.

maybe we should pick this thread up.... Is anyone doing this program 2013? I got accepted so now I have to decide..

I just accepted NYMC's offer for the AMP program in the fall 13'. It came down to georgetown or NYMC and eventually I had to go with my gut feeling that the success rate and support system/community at NYMC trumped the prestige georgetown had to offer.

I think I will be committing to this program as well! Any current students have any advice?

Just a quick question to the students above. What were your stats like? Just curious about whether I should even apply to this right now :/

3.51 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 30M MCAT... I dont really know where that fits in with the rest of the class

3.47 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA but upward trend to a 4.0 for the last 4 semesters and a 30Q MCAT

Still trying to decide on this program or georgetown's... I feel like georgetown is a bit more geared toward applying while within the program as you push out more grades faster (semester not trimester) but then NYMC's small community seems so supportive...

what to do...

Still trying to decide on this program or georgetown's... I feel like georgetown is a bit more geared toward applying while within the program as you push out more grades faster (semester not trimester) but then NYMC's small community seems so supportive...

what to do...

1) look at the success rate for both programs (especially for people with your stats)
2) call up schools / go to open house for advice. they are quite accessible. don't be shy, and you'll get great feedback.
3) consider if you are up for the competitive, stressful environment of Georgetown. you have a 37 MCAT so you're obviously very smart.

if you do NYMC, make sure that its curriculum is easy to recognize med school classes and that you make clear in you app & correspondences that you are taking actual med school classes.

1) look at the success rate for both programs (especially for people with your stats)
2) call up schools / go to open house for advice. they are quite accessible. don't be shy, and you'll get great feedback.
3) consider if you are up for the competitive, stressful environment of Georgetown. you have a 37 MCAT so you're obviously very smart.

if you do NYMC, make sure that its curriculum is easy to recognize med school classes and that you make clear in you app & correspondences that you are taking actual med school classes.

Well Georgetown announces that their success rate is 50% for concurrent applicants. Looking at NYMC's thread (updated each year) NYMC looked like 75% so at first it looked like a sure thing. HOWEVER, at Georgetown, most people apply concurrently while NYMC advise individual people whether or not they should apply concurrently (for example 2013 graduating class only had like 3 or 4 people apply during the program) which skews the success rate in their favor imo.

From my discussion with Carolyn at NYMC, she basically told me that if my MCAT score wasn't expiring she would very strongly recommend that I finish the program before applying again. Since she's been on NYMC's MD admission committee before I guess that says a bit about where I am as an applicant at the moment... Riding on a lot of luck here...

Looking purely at my grades, it seems like Georgetown is the best one to choose since I'll be able to push out more grades by December due to Georgetown being semester based not trimester.

By the way, would you happen to know if Drexel's program (the one year one with 4-6 med school course) is in any way comparable? I only ask because I know a friend who went through it and knowing how hard Drexel's courses are compared to Georgetown's would greatly help in making my decision.

Thanks for the reply!

Are the seats full for 2013? Too late in the cycle to have a chance?

I'm considering applying for the fall. 3.24 cGPA 3.14 sGPA 32 MCAT. This is after 45 credits of upper-division bio with a 3.97. So I already did a post-bacc, but I'm worried it's not enough. Advice?

I'm considering applying for the fall. 3.24 cGPA 3.14 sGPA 32 MCAT. This is after 45 credits of upper-division bio with a 3.97. So I already did a post-bacc, but I'm worried it's not enough. Advice?

I don't think you should waste you time and money doing another post-bacc. 3.97 is not bad but I don't think you have anything to gain from multiple post bacc.

i'm in a similar boat and here's what I've gathered...

1) for some DO schools, you are fine and don't need to do any further coursework. they will look at trends.

2) most MD schools will want an SMP because of the lower #s.

3) however, unless your SMP has high linkage, it is not very effective until you apply AFTER finishing the SMP. I've heard of same year acceptances from Georgetown, Drexel, and Cincinnati...but SMP grades don't come out until spring when there are only a few interview spots left.

this puts me in a twist. so i'm thinking of doing the SMP as "insurance" and the hope for spring interviews. if I don't get in, I reapply immediately with full year of SMP grades right off the bat.

Does anyone know which of the two housing options on campus is better?

Grassland I are unfurnished with larger bedroom but and small common space (small kitchen/living room, single rest room)

Grassland II come with basic furniture (think college dorm type, desk kitchen table, bed and drawer), the common space is pretty descent (separate kitchen/living room, 2 restroom) but the bedrooms are bit smaller. Also grassland II are more expensive.

Since the AMP is only a 1 year program, most students choose Grassland II b/c of the furniture. Some NY/NJ students bring their own furniture and stay in Grassland I though.

I graduated from UC Irvine with a 2.89 GPA. I was wondering which track should I apply for the Accelerated Track or Traditional? Also if it happens to be traditional, can I still pursue medical school afterwards? Any insight would be grand, I'm applying to quite a few SMPs and I'm in a little over my head.

Thanks in advance!

Is anyone attending the AMP in fall 2014?

I will be attending the program this fall. I'm still waiting to hear back regarding my housing assignment. Will you be attending as well?

I am the author of this blog and am happy to answer any questions. So far, for my purposes, I am glad that I am here and think I made the right choice. This program can help you if you put the work in (although it can hurt you if you don't).

I am the author of this blog and am happy to answer any questions. So far, for my purposes, I am glad that I am here and think I made the right choice. This program can help you if you put the work in (although it can hurt you if you don't).
I just sent you a PM!

Do you guys think it's too late to apply for Fall 2015?
I know the deadline is July 1st, but since it's rolling admission I wonder if they've already chosen the incoming class...
I just heard about this program this week...

Do you guys think it's too late to apply for Fall 2015?
I know the deadline is July 1st, but since it's rolling admission I wonder if they've already chosen the incoming class...
I just heard about this program this week...
No you're fine, people generally apply well into June. I would bet there are still plenty of slots left.

Do you guys think I have a shot if my MCAT score is a 25 (7V, 8PS, 10BS)? I heard that a 27 is the minimum to get accepted. Is this true?
I have a 3.3sGPA and a 3.2cGPA, 4 years research experience, 1.5 hospital volunteering, and a bunch of leadership experience.
I'm still waiting back on postbacc's in California, but I'm really interested in going to the east coast and trying out something new :p