NYMC vs Rutgers NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ezzyboy622

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am having a really tough time choosing between NYMC and NJMS. I am a NY resident but eligible to pay in state tuition for NJMS. However, I am wondering if anyone has any insight as to which is better educationally and clinically? Any a advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to derail, but how did you get into a NJ state school as an NY resident?? Last time I checked the MSAR only a couple of OOSers made it in. Do you have really strong ties or something?

Sorry to derail, but how did you get into a NJ state school as an NY resident?? Last time I checked the MSAR only a couple of OOSers made it in. Do you have really strong ties or something?

Yes, I have really strong ties to NJ

Members don't see this ad :)
NJMS - no question. Their match list punches well above their weight, cost of attendance is significantly cheaper than NYMC, and you'll get some of the best clinical experience in the region. NJMS is easily one of the most underrated medical schools in the country, and I think residency directors recognize this.

The exposure you would gain from working at University Hospital, the ability to do your clerkships at HackensackUMC (one of the best hospitals in the metropolitan area), and the research opportunities available through Rutgers make NJMS an obvious choice. The Newark demographic is also diverse, medically underserved, and immensely underprivileged, making community service projects easy to implement.

If you take a glimpse at NJMS's match list, it almost leaves you slack-jawed by how impressive it is (especially if you're interested in matching somewhere in NYC). Also, if you have an interest in specializing in neurosurgery, NJMS generally ties Hopkins in the number of neurosurgical placements each year. The only foreseeable negatives of attending NJMS are the city of Newark, outdated facilities and a chaotic clinical environment. Other than that, I don't see how NYMC, Westchester Medical Center or any of its community affiliates trump NJMS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users