NYS challenge session for compounding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member1230

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have a question about the NYS compounding challenge session... anyone successfully got points granted to them after going to the review? Any pointers on what to look for when going to the review? I missed by 5 points, it seems like a lot, but a lot of people told me they screwed up a lot in grading because of the new format... so, any pointers? Thanks!! I really need the 5 points!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not familiar with the review day, but is there anything specific that you need help with?

I'm not familiar with the review day, but is there anything specific that you need help with?

Hi guys, since we're talking about part 3. I was considering taking part 3 in January but idk what to review/study. I have bought 2012 rxprep and was planning on reviewing my lab notes. Will the rxprep be enough for the written portion? Also, what is considered to be passing. I'm so nervous and idk if should even try to take the exam early

Hi guys, since we're talking about part 3. I was considering taking part 3 in January but idk what to review/study. I have bought 2012 rxprep and was planning on reviewing my lab notes. Will the rxprep be enough for the written portion? Also, what is considered to be passing. I'm so nervous and idk if should even try to take the exam early

i am in the same shoe. how did everyone else study?

I don't think RxPrep is the best thing to use for part 3. There is a chapter in the book on compounding but it doesn't go into enough detail for NYS... save that book for the NAPLEX.

Personally, I made a binder to study and organized things by topic - laying it all out on paper and organizing it by topic is the best way I learn.

For day 1, I looked at the ISMP list and used apps on my iPad for brand/generics and look alike/sound alike. I took the exam last January which was the first year for the patient profiles so I honestly didn't know what to expect for that. For errors and omissions I used exercises my school gave me.

For day 2, I studied basic compounding techniques for capsules, ointments, solutions, suspensions, and emulsions. I also did as many calculations as I could. I went over everything but obviously focused more on the topics I struggled on. For the IV portion I used the ASHP book of sterile compounding.

I also went to a live review offered by my school. I think this helped because they walked me though what to expect the days of the exam and I got to practice compounding under the same time constraints that the board places.

The best advice I could give is to keep calm the days of the exam, especially day 2. I tried my hardest to keep thinking "oh it's just another day in lab" to keep myself calm. Always double check your math and try to think about what they're asking you and what the final product should be. Hope this helps!! =)

Did you every get those points back? I just missed passing by 3 points and not sure what to do..

did you go to the review and rechallenge? i missed the june 2013 by 3 points too and really wanted to know if you got your points and passed.......

Hi guys, just wanted to post a quick summary of my challenge experience so future challengers get a jist of the process.
So about 5 weeks after taking the compounding exam, results are mailed via snail mail. Your score and pass/fail status is reported. I also heard that even before opening the envelope you can know, if you have a thin envelope (1 piece of paper in there) you passed and if you have a few sheets of paper, you failed. If unfortunately, you failed. theres instructions and dates on how to either challenge your score personally or simply have someone rescore your exam without you needing to be there. also included in letter as well as a form to send to castle again to reapply.
For the challenge,we werent able to bring in any electronics (laptops) except for the calculator. No loose papers either. Binders were allowed tho so i just hole punched everything i needed and put it in a binder. I also saw some rx prep/ kaplan/ apha books at the review. We were alloted 2 hours to review our exam and write up any challenges we thought were valid. They didnt say there was a limit on the number of challenges you can make but they really emphasized not making challenges unless your point was valid definately.
Afterward, I didn't get any updates about the challenge from the board but I did see my name updated on the pharmacy license verification website (i had passed the naplex and mpje a while ago already) a bit more than a month later.
Some tips after the whole process;
-try to remember what you got wrong so you can bring more notes about that question to the review
-THeres no limit on the amount of reference books you can bring, as long as you can carry it.
-Go for the review, you dont have to make a challenge, its good to at least know what you got wrong
-if you dont get your score from castle, call them! I had to wait forever for mine after everyone else got theirs because snail mail is unreliable

Hope this was helpful, pm or reply here if theres any questions :]

Hi guys, just wanted to post a quick summary of my challenge experience so future challengers get a jist of the process.
So about 5 weeks after taking the compounding exam, results are mailed via snail mail. Your score and pass/fail status is reported. I also heard that even before opening the envelope you can know, if you have a thin envelope (1 piece of paper in there) you passed and if you have a few sheets of paper, you failed. If unfortunately, you failed. theres instructions and dates on how to either challenge your score personally or simply have someone rescore your exam without you needing to be there. also included in letter as well as a form to send to castle again to reapply.
For the challenge,we werent able to bring in any electronics (laptops) except for the calculator. No loose papers either. Binders were allowed tho so i just hole punched everything i needed and put it in a binder. I also saw some rx prep/ kaplan/ apha books at the review. We were alloted 2 hours to review our exam and write up any challenges we thought were valid. They didnt say there was a limit on the number of challenges you can make but they really emphasized not making challenges unless your point was valid definately.
Afterward, I didn't get any updates about the challenge from the board but I did see my name updated on the pharmacy license verification website (i had passed the naplex and mpje a while ago already) a bit more than a month later.
Some tips after the whole process;
-try to remember what you got wrong so you can bring more notes about that question to the review
-THeres no limit on the amount of reference books you can bring, as long as you can carry it.
-Go for the review, you dont have to make a challenge, its good to at least know what you got wrong
-if you dont get your score from castle, call them! I had to wait forever for mine after everyone else got theirs because snail mail is unreliable

Hope this was helpful, pm or reply here if theres any questions :][/QU

By how many points did u lose initially.coz I lost by 3 and reviewed it 2 weeks ago

Last edited:
lycheebee

I completed my review 3 weeks ago. I lost by 3 points.how many did u lose by intilally.
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I just got my results back. I only got 1 point off from passing the exam so obviously I'm upset. But my proctor threw all my vials away during the IV portion which I have never heard of in all of the review classes. Don't they grade you on what products you bring back with you? I feel like they took point off for that. What are the chances I get 1 point back not only for that but in general? Please write back as soon as possible!

Last edited:
I got a 70, extremely upset. I restarted my IV since my vial started leaking, and I thought that would be a failure and didn't want to chance it, although reading now it looks like it isn't. I wish the grading was transparent. Now that 5 point deduction is biting me in the ***. Is there any chance I can get to 75? I'm seriously about to leave NY and this test behind.

Im not sure how the grading goes but i passed with a 95. In my case, I was told to bring all the vials back and put them in a paper bag (along with the IV admixture you made). Seems like this year the grading was pretty lenient b/c one of my classmates missed two patient profile questions but still passed with a 97....

Well that makes me feel like an even bigger *****. I've been practicing in CT for a year now and passed my NAPLEX and MPJEs with ease, but this thing is making me pull my hair out for some reason. I remember in the winter session they sent out a letter a day or two later where they bumped my score by 2 points. Could really use one of those letters about now.

If anyone has any experience with coming back from a 5 point deficit or wants to give me a glimmer of hope, feel free to message me.

Do you guys know what you put for the LASA for diclofenac or what the right answer was? Cuz i could argue that Voltaren gel is for inflammation of the joints but diclofenac oral is not. And also for the script verification for the plan b? Lastly, what would be the chance of arguing if they took points off for me being 3 seconds over on the IV, especially if my vials would not reconstitute? Just trying to see what I got wrong and trying to find ways to challenge.

All I can say for the IV part with regards to you is that my vials were taking forever to dissolve, and my proctor told me to "assume they're dissolved now" after shaking them for a while. So if you went over time because of that, that's totally unfair based on my experience.

This whole exam has so much subjectivity that it's disgusting. Based on this exchange alone it's obvious that no one has a clue what the actual grading metrics should be. They should either standardize the test with a scantron or throw this dinosaur out. Just another farce in New York State government.

What about for the LASA for diclofenac or what the right answer was? Cuz i could argue that Voltaren gel is for inflammation of the joints but diclofenac oral is not. And also for the script verification for the planb?

i picked inflammation. For the LASA, they accept multiple answers (based on the review series i went to)
i put no error for the plan B script.

Hi guys I need some advice,

I failed then compounding exam in January as they gave me a zero on the IV. I think the reason is because I went over on the time. It took me a while to get the 9.6ml out of the vial. Then when I was done I noticed the proctor had stopped the clock at around 11mins 40seconds. ( so I had gone well over on the time ). My only issue is the proctor never warned me when I had a minute left. If I knew I only had a minute left and was at the stage I was I would have asked to restart and lose the 5 marks instead of the full 20.

Does anyone know if it’s a requirement for the proctor to warn you of the time?? Is it worth trying to fight this in my review day? I failed by 8 marks overall so don’t know how else to get those marks back. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks