NYS Compounding Exam Notes and Tips Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sincity5519

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Im going to be moving from WA to NYS and was wondering if anyone has any notes on the compounding exam or old exams they can share. I missed the deadline for the January exam so I will have to take the June exam and it's freaking me out because if I fail that, then the earliest I can be licensed is February 2016 when I graduate June 2015! And my school does not emphasize compounding at all! Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Relax!, you'll do fine.

Check this website out:
http://www.pharmacyboardreview.com/index.html

Dr. Cutie, one of the professors at LIU, holds reviews and gives out material to study for the compounding exam (and all other board exams). You can perhaps sign up for the hands on experience part that the compounding exam requires you to do and that's 60 points of your grade (out of 100). It's really nothing crazy hard where you won't be able to do it after getting a feel for what it's like to compound during one of his reviews. Other than that, day 1 is 40 points and it's basic stuff like patient profiles, look alike/sound alike, and errors and omissions. Once again, if you go to one of his reviews you'll get a feel for that as well and that's just general stuff even if you don't. However, I'd highly suggest experiencing what it's like to compound in those labs because personally speaking..day 2 which is the hands on day - it's easier than day 1 (the written, 40 pts portion). Day 1 is all random and either you know the stuff they throw at you or you don't. Day 2 however is a different story and all practice. Dr. Cutie's review will be more than sufficient for that. Good luck..don't panic and you'll do just fine. Make sure you know your math down pat for day 2 or else you won't be compounding correctly. Key though is to be confident and not panic! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Relax!, you'll do fine.

Check this website out:
http://www.pharmacyboardreview.com/index.html

Dr. Cutie, one of the professors at LIU, holds reviews and gives out material to study for the compounding exam (and all other board exams). You can perhaps sign up for the hands on experience part that the compounding exam requires you to do and that's 60 points of your grade (out of 100). It's really nothing crazy hard where you won't be able to do it after getting a feel for what it's like to compound during one of his reviews. Other than that, day 1 is 40 points and it's basic stuff like patient profiles, look alike/sound alike, and errors and omissions. Once again, if you go to one of his reviews you'll get a feel for that as well and that's just general stuff even if you don't. However, I'd highly suggest experiencing what it's like to compound in those labs because personally speaking..day 2 which is the hands on day - it's easier than day 1 (the written, 40 pts portion). Day 1 is all random and either you know the stuff they throw at you or you don't. Day 2 however is a different story and all practice. Dr. Cutie's review will be more than sufficient for that. Good luck..don't panic and you'll do just fine. Make sure you know your math down pat for day 2 or else you won't be compounding correctly. Key though is to be confident and not panic! :)

Thanks for you suggestion! I checked out the website and unfortunately I don't graduate til June so I won't be able to attend the May review sections. Do you know if i purchase the lecture notes from Dr. Cutie, do they include any review exam/sample questions?

Thanks!!