NYT or the Economist for VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaCo3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I got my mcat score back the other day and absolutely got wrecked by verbal and now I'm looking for ways to make sure I don't get wrecked again by the same section.
I'm trying to figure out which news paper subscription will offer me better content to prepare for the test. I understand that the best way to improve is lots of practice, but I would like to have a daily news paper as a auxiliary resource to better expose myself to opinionated articles and also simply to challenge myself.

So again, which is better: NYT or Economist
Also, is the Economist a daily news paper like the NYT?

Members don't see this ad.

Economist for sure. Major newspapers like the NYT are usually written at about an 8th grade vocabulary level since they're meant to be widely accessible. I'd personally recommend The New Yorker – usually more interesting articles than the Economist (in my opinion).

Reactions: 1 user
I tried the Economist and The New Yorker is my quest to broaden my reading skills of articles I don't find naturally interesting.

The Economist was very dry, and would likely be a better source - but I enjoy some articles in The New Yorker and I find that makes me actually want to read it. I still encounter many stories I don't naturally like, which are the most helpful.

I was also able to pick up 50 weeks for $50 and I got a $5 Amazon gift card. Very affordable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Economist for getting verbal near or up to 10. Dense philosophy, sociology, and anthropology literature for any higher.

Response to title:

-Economist is the most popular.
-The New Republic is my favorite, and AAMC has extracted passages from TNR in the past.
-NYT, this is the first I've heard of that for MCAT prep.