nytimes and verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inside_edition

Waitlisted Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would reading the nytimes help for the verbal reasoning section? especially for someone who got a five on the mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

i will suggest do as many as passages as you can that will help you better.

Thats my opinion

NYTimes might help if you're not used to relatively dense material (not sure what type of reading you're used to). I agree with malli though. You should concentrate on doing passages. Try not timing yourself in the beginning. Read carefully to get into that critical reading mindset you need to be in. I personally read differently on the MCAT than I do for leisure. Practice makes perfect.

Reading the NY times couldn't hurt but I don't think its the most effective method to improve your score. If you read the paper over a period of a few years it might improve reading skills, but for now I suggest that you keep doing passages everyday. The more passages you do, the more you will understand how to take the test and what types of questions they typically ask. Remember to focus on the main idea because the questions usually stem off of the author's opinion and opinion on the subject matter. Good luck to you!!! :)