NYTimes- Costs Can Go Up Fast When E.R. Is in Network but the Doctors Are Not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCDEMS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't tell you who my CMG contracts with.
Remember, this was a big deal in California because EPs are explicitly forbidden for balance billing (the out of network expenses). I expect the same of Texas as more Californians move here and try to make it the same political hellhole they left.

Reactions: 1 user
It really aggravates me that the father in the article requested a plastic surgeon then snubbed his fees that weren't covered by insurance. He asked for it (the emergency physician didn't request him), so he should be responsible for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/u...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

I guess every specialty gets a drubbing by the NYTimes. I would love to hear from some of our Texas EM physicians about how common this actually is.
I think we shouldnt be mad at our patients. In the end the insurers want to pay us crap. We wont allow it. It is that simple. Medicare/medicaid reimbursement is crap, we see 15% uninsured (national average), so the insurers have to be the ones who we make our profit from. Seems simple. If they paid better we would contract with them all.

It really aggravates me that the father in the article requested a plastic surgeon then snubbed his fees that weren't covered by insurance. He asked for it (the emergency physician didn't request him), so he should be responsible for it.
For a chin lac. . . They deserve the bill. I'm sure the ED doc tried telling them they would take care of it. You KNOW how that conversation went. I don't feel bad for them. Not even a smidge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/u...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

I guess every specialty gets a drubbing by the NYTimes. I would love to hear from some of our Texas EM physicians about how common this actually is.

The NYT did a nearly identical story on Friday about this. Friday's was about how a guy getting a spinal stenosis surgery had an in network orthopedic surgeon selected but got separately billed $114,000 for a neurosurgeon he never met who assisted. And the story was about the practice of putting out of network people on the case and simply going after the patient until the patient puts enough pressure on insurance to just pay up the requested amount. It was suggested that there may be some collusion to split the windfall, but no proof that it did happen.

As a non-EM doc who once got a hefty ED bill at my residency hospital (so obviously IN-network)... I'm sorry, you go to the ED you should expect it to be very expensive. Around here, you pay $200 after hours just for the AC guy to show up much less the cost of the actual work. Why should physicians be any different?

For a chin lac. . . They deserve the bill. I'm sure the ED doc tried telling them they would take care of it. You KNOW how that conversation went. I don't feel bad for them. Not even a smidge.
agreed, I am sure if it was complicated and outside our scope we'd easily call plastics/ent but if it's simple sutures there's no need for a surgeon. i can only assume the dad was choosing "plastic surgeon" purely for the term. customer service was delivered as requested dad, now pay for it

In the end the insurers want to pay us crap. We wont allow it. It is that simple. Medicare/medicaid reimbursement is crap, we see 15% uninsured (national average), so the insurers have to be the ones who we make our profit from. Seems simple. If they paid better we would contract with them all.
This

As a non-EM doc who once got a hefty ED bill at my residency hospital (so obviously IN-network)... I'm sorry, you go to the ED you should expect it to be very expensive. Around here, you pay $200 after hours just for the AC guy to show up much less the cost of the actual work. Why should physicians be any different?
I will say this. I needed a plumber in the past. Their fees were unreal. Seems like the hourly wasnt terribly less than an average ED doc. However, no med mal, no grad school, no student loans.

The worst part is that Balanced billing and being out of network favors insurers. As seen in linked NY Times article--they cost shift bill completely to patient, who gets Balanced Bill. It's a total scam by insurances which increases profit margin and passes costs to the patients. They basically low ball you when you are trying to get resonable and customary reimbursement, force you to be out of their riduculous network schedule fees (by charging 25% under usual and customary), then (somehow) we are the bad guys.

Here's FCEP's retort to a similarly biased, non-sense article in the Tampa Bay times. United, who was in the initial TBT article was sued by NY for fraudently making up data to low-ball physicians (they settled, part of settlement was admitting no wrong-doing). They were forced to pay 90 million to set up the NY FAIR database, which would get average Usual and Customary reimbursements, which in theory would solve everything. Not surprisingly, once the database was up and running, THEY COMPLETELY IGNORED IT and came up with their own formula which pays 125% medicare (most negotiated OON fees get 250%-600% medicare rates--that's how we get paid when 40-50% of our patients don't pay). there was a loophole in the settlement which let them do this random formula.

If you are a Community Physician, this should drive you nuts and tick you off. The NYT, TBT, all the media are getting on the blame the doctor bandwagon for high fees and costs, even though ED's are responsible for <2-4% of all health care costs. Nevermind and hospitals are consolidating and making more money than ever--they're obviously lobbying better than we are. If you ask me, we are the low lying fruit for the govt to pick on, and they won't rest until all the private groups go out of business and we all become Hospital employees.

Reactions: 1 user
The worst part is that Balanced billing and being out of network favors insurers. As seen in linked NY Times article--they cost shift bill completely to patient, who gets Balanced Bill. It's a total scam by insurances which increases profit margin and passes costs to the patients. They basically low ball you when you are trying to get resonable and customary reimbursement, force you to be out of their riduculous network schedule fees (by charging 25% under usual and customary), then (somehow) we are the bad guys.

Here's FCEP's retort to a similarly biased, non-sense article in the Tampa Bay times. United, who was in the initial TBT article was sued by NY for fraudently making up data to low-ball physicians (they settled, part of settlement was admitting no wrong-doing). They were forced to pay 90 million to set up the NY FAIR database, which would get average Usual and Customary reimbursements, which in theory would solve everything. Not surprisingly, once the database was up and running, THEY COMPLETELY IGNORED IT and came up with their own formula which pays 125% medicare (most negotiated OON fees get 250%-600% medicare rates--that's how we get paid when 40-50% of our patients don't pay). there was a loophole in the settlement which let them do this random formula.

If you are a Community Physician, this should drive you nuts and tick you off. The NYT, TBT, all the media are getting on the blame the doctor bandwagon for high fees and costs, even though ED's are responsible for <2-4% of all health care costs. Nevermind and hospitals are consolidating and making more money than ever--they're obviously lobbying better than we are. If you ask me, we are the low lying fruit for the govt to pick on, and they won't rest until all the private groups go out of business and we all become Hospital employees.
Amen.

Reading the NYT article made me unreasonably angry. Most of the $$$ figures mentioned having nothing to do with what the EP got paid and the one sort of but not really concrete example they did use (>$2K for cardiac monitoring) is so obviously wrong that it calls into question whether the reporter sourced the story using 4chan or reddit. Nevermind that salary is going up because we're working harder (more pts/hr) and longer (more hrs/month) in order to try and plug the gaping hole in our current medical system. "I thought the doctor came with the E.R."... F%^# you!

Reactions: 7 users
Reading the NYT article made me unreasonably angry. Most of the $$$ figures mentioned having nothing to do with what the EP got paid and the one sort of but not really concrete example they did use (>$2K for cardiac monitoring) is so obviously wrong that it calls into question whether the reporter sourced the story using 4chan or reddit. Nevermind that salary is going up because we're working harder (more pts/hr) and longer (more hrs/month) in order to try and plug the gaping hole in our current medical system. "I thought the doctor came with the E.R."... F%^# you!

Why can I only like this once?

I seriously lol'd at the kid with 8 stitches whose parent's requested plastics closure and got billed $5k. I mean wtf do you expect a plastic surgeon to bill when he's called to the ED for a chin lac?

Ms. Rosenthal conveniently left out the hundreds of thousands of dollars in uncompensated care provided yearly by every emergency physician. We get no credit for spending 30 minutes sewing a drunk HIV/HepC chainsawed leg back together at the risk of needle stick for no compensation but are vilified for not controlling the intricacies of medical insurance billing?