Nyu 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikewise

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey postbaccers. I have noticed a void of discussion on this program, and was wondering if there is anybody else out there who has applied to the Postbacc Prehealth Studies Program at NYU for this coming term.

My application for Fall 2013 was complete in late January. The website quotes 2-4 weeks turnaround, and the confirmation email stated 4-6 weeks. At the 7 week mark there was another blast email apologizing for the delay and quoting 2-3 more weeks. Now 11 weeks after applying, I am starting to wonder if this bodes poorly for my prospects or if the admissions office really is just swamped. Anyone else heard back?

Also I'm curious to hear more about this program in terms of the academics, student community and advising. Any former participants out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to the Summer 2013 program and was complete back in March. I actually just spoke to someone in the NYU Postbac office today. Summer applicants are generally reviewed before Fall applicants, and she informed me I should be hearing back by next week latest. I'm guessing Fall applicants will hear back after that.

I applied to the Summer 2013 program and was complete back in March. I actually just spoke to someone in the NYU Postbac office today. Summer applicants are generally reviewed before Fall applicants, and she informed me I should be hearing back by next week latest. I'm guessing Fall applicants will hear back after that.

Cool, thanks man! And good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my Summer 2013 acceptance e-mail today! Good luck to the rest of the summer applicants and Fall 2013 too.

Just received my Summer 2013 acceptance e-mail today! Good luck to the rest of the summer applicants and Fall 2013 too.

Congratulations! Fingers crossed that Fall 2013 results won't be far behind.

i may as well crosspost this here. i applied for fall 13 and should hear back soon. it's not my first (or second) choice but the linkages seem enticing - but do they even mean anything?

can someone explain what the NYU "linkages" are exactly? i know what a linkage is - but nowhere on the NYU linkage page is the word "guaranteed." it looks like if you keep a 3.6 and get a 32 MCAT...you get the privilege of being considered to these various medical schools. it doesn't say you're guaranteed admission, or even an interview - just that you can apply (i guess to skip the glide year). can anyone clarify this?

Hopefully this'll answer your question: the linkage program at NYU (and several other post-bac programs) works as a two-step process: first, by applicants self-nominating if they meet certain published criteria (e.g. 3.6 GPA/34 MCAT with 10+ each section for NYU Med). Applicants deemed qualified by the admissions committee get interviewed for the actual linkage, and, if accepted, are nominated to the respective medical schools for their approval of an interview (which may or may not happen).

You can basically think of it as a two-gate process: one, get approved by your post-bac program, and two, get the actual linkage interview by the school. If you get the linkage interview and are accepted (third gate), then you'll skip your glide year and matriculate that Fall.

You probably already have this, but specific criteria can be found here: http://postbacc.cas.nyu.edu/page/linkages. They more or less stay the same every year.