Nyu 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DolceLilac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is rather early but I thought it would be great to have a thread for those who will be attending NYU this coming Fall 2013!

I was accepted last year but postponed and will be entering this year - I'm super excited! I would love to meet all of you! :hello:

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is rather early but I thought it would be great to have a thread for those who will be attending NYU this coming Fall 2013!

I was accepted last year but postponed and will be entering this year - I'm super excited! I would love to meet all of you! :hello:

Do you mind telling us when abouts you heard back from NYU? Trying to figure out when to expect a decision. Thanks!

Do you mind telling us when abouts you heard back from NYU? Trying to figure out when to expect a decision. Thanks!

I received my acceptance package around the end of February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an acceptance email. What a pleasant surprise! I hadn't heard a thing since submitting my app.

I got an acceptance email too! I was surprised also- hadn't heard anything since I submitted in December!

VioletOT, and OT24 would you mind posting your stats? The waiting is killing me and I am just trying to figure out my chances... Thanks :)

VioletOT, and OT24 would you mind posting your stats? The waiting is killing me and I am just trying to figure out my chances... Thanks :)

Undergrad major: Health/Physical Education
GPA - 3.35
Pre-req GPA - 3.8

Observation Hours: 60 at a variety of settings (although I'm pretty sure the NYU app didn't ask me how many)
Also took GRE but that wasn't required for NYU
I have a lot of experience with special education and also have been working with adults with special needs for a couple years now.

Hope this helps.. good luck!

Sure!

Undergrad Major: Psychology, minors in music and global studies
GPA: 3.72
Pre req GPA: 3.8

210 observation hours split between five settings- phys. rehab, mental health, hand therapy, preschool, elementary school

I also had a lot of extra currics in undergrad, mostly music related, volunteer work, and leadership experience.

Good luck! I hope you hear soon :)

I just found out I got accepted as well! NYU is one of my top choices so I'm really happy!!

Major: Psychology

GPA: 3.56

Pre-Req: 3.9 excluding anatomy and physiology. those two are currently in progress.. :(

Relevant hours: 800+ (650+ at an outpatient clinic as a paid PT/OT tech, 70 hours at an inpatient hospital, 20 hours at an outpatient hand therapy clinic, 32 hours at a pediatric clinic, 30 hours working with OTs at a summer camp)

Extra-Curricular: research assistant at an Infant Vision Lab for a year (also presented a poster with my research data at a conference for undergrad researchers), officer at my University's pre-OT/PT society, volunteered on/off at a nursing home, participated in humanitarian projects in Cambodia and Mexico to serve underprivileged populations, officer for Undergraduate Investment Society, worked as an administrative assistant throughout my college career

Congrats to others who got in and good luck to those who are waiting!!

Thanks for posting! I am an undergrad at NYU now and am going crazy waiting to hear! Congratulations on your acceptances, and thanks! I hope to hear soon!

Congrats again!

Got accepted via email yesterday as well!

3.7 undergrad GPA
3.7 Prerequisite

Volunteer hours:

School for autism
health center for adults with developmental disabilities

Congrats to everyone whose gotten in! Did they give you a date the deposit is due? I'm assuming that the next round of acceptances goes out after ppl send deposits!

Yes,
Deposits are due by April 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted yesterday as well..

I always felt I had a great chance to get in and it was unexpected news and beautiful day indeed..Waiting to hear back from Colombia and financial/aid packages before I make my decision.

attended a city university - 3.42gpa/3.9major GPA (africana/latino studies)/3.5 pre-req GPA

volunteered - reading partners (young children), food pantry (low SES community) and continuing OT outpatient at a hospital

Last edited:
I received my acceptance letter this week too! It was truly delightful news. Definitely a dream school for me. :) I am curious to see what the financial aid package will look like...

Why is it that people are receiving acceptances at different times?

Oh and congratulations to those of you who have been offered acceptance!!!!!

I was wondering that too. I am an undergraduate at NYU now, in the SLP program, and Steinhardt did the same thing with the SLP grad program. People received answers over a two week period. I just want to hear already. I feel like it may not be the news I had hoped for. Maybe I am just psyching myself out...I hope...

I'm still waiting too! Really trying not to obsess/ get psyched out. I applied to NYU, SHU, Kean, and USC... I haven't heard back from any of them yet. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!!

I got two recent emails regarding financial aid.

One today said I wont know until closer to May 2013,

another email earlier in the week said I will find out in time before the updated deposit date which is now 4/17

---

anyone else in this boat?

Just received my acceptance and am beyond elated!!!!

Got wait-listed.....still haven't heard from Columbia but I'm guessing my chances are slim.

I got wait listed as well and was wondering the same thing (about the chances)! I guess we won't hear back till at least April 15. Then from what I understand, the entire wait list gets re-reviewed... goooood luck.

Hi! I just accepted my offer and am so happy to say I will be starting in the OT program at NYU this fall! Is anyone attending the event in April?

Hi! I just accepted my offer and am so happy to say I will be starting in the OT program at NYU this fall! Is anyone attending the event in April?

I'm really leaning towards NYU over Columbia at the moment ill be there in April! Possible
Future classmate :)

I was accepted last week. I'm pretty sure I'll be attending!I will also be at the event in April :)

Congrats to everyone who was accepted :) I have a question for you all- the price of NYU is very steep and I'm really having trouble figuring out how I would be able to pay for it without putting myself in debt forever. Does anyone know if they offer generous aid/scholarships to grad students? I hope so!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted :) I have a question for you all- the price of NYU is very steep and I'm really having trouble figuring out how I would be able to pay for it without putting myself in debt forever. Does anyone know if they offer generous aid/scholarships to grad students? I hope so!

Yeah.. I guess they just expect you to borrow it all or have very generous parents. I was there on Tuesday and they pretty much said this: It is very expensive so start looking for outside scholarships/grants now. They don't really give much and they acknowledged this. They do have a graduate scholarship based on your GPA they hand out but its not that much money and you are competing with all grad students not just OT.

Has anyone not heard from NYU yet? I submitted everything near the deadline and still haven't heard a thing from NYU..

Has anyone not heard from NYU yet? I submitted everything near the deadline and still haven't heard a thing from NYU..

I would think at this point all of the first round offers have been made. I believe they said they made about 70 offers and are aiming for a class size of 50. Last year they made more initial offers and they had a much greater yield than they expected.

Why don't you give them a call and check on your status? Couldn't hurt. Deposits are due April 17th so maybe you will hear after then.. but I would probably call.

I was also wait-listed for NYU and now I am wondering what the chances are of actually getting accepted. The suspense is killing me beyond belief :scared: !!

P.S.: I have a GPA of 3.54 and an even higher prerequisite GPA of 3.8 I believe. I have done 80+ volunteer hours and I have been working with children with autism for over two years now.

I just received my financial aid package for this upcoming year. NYU offered me $1500 for work study each semester.. I was pleasantly surprised. Did anyone else get work study? Is this something that every grad student gets offered at NYU? (I have no idea..) I guess I'm just wondering how likely it would be for me to even get a work study job.. if it's something that I have to fight for with all the other grad students, then I don't want to count it when I calculate my budget.

I just received my financial aid package for this upcoming year. NYU offered me $1500 for work study each semester.. I was pleasantly surprised. Did anyone else get work study? Is this something that every grad student gets offered at NYU? (I have no idea..) I guess I'm just wondering how likely it would be for me to even get a work study job.. if it's something that I have to fight for with all the other grad students, then I don't want to count it when I calculate my budget.

i got offered the same amount... NYU making my decision much easier haha..

Does anyone happen to know the chances of getting in if you have been wait listed? I've been hearing they have a high wait list rate so I'm getting kind of bummed out :(

I got offered the same work study amount. Both grads and undergrads are offered work study and in undergrad I found it very hard to actually find a work study job, even though it was part of my "financial aid". I didn't go to NYU, but I think the process would be similar. I am not taking the bait. That is a huge amount of loans to be taking on and 3,000 in work/study definitely can't change my mind.

I got offered the same work study amount. Both grads and undergrads are offered work study and in undergrad I found it very hard to actually find a work study job, even though it was part of my "financial aid". I didn't go to NYU, but I think the process would be similar. I am not taking the bait. That is a huge amount of loans to be taking on and 3,000 in work/study definitely can't change my mind.

Same here. I'm having a hard time justifying the high cost in my mind. Leaning more towards temple everyday. Just don't think I'd be any better off with an nyu degree; especially for the money.

Is anyone deciding between NYU and Columbia?

I was accepted into NYU and am probably not going to accept the offer. Graduating with $150k+ in loans is ridiculous. It is a great program and terrific school but there are definitely better options out there for OT Master's programs.

Reactions: 1 user