NYU acceptance rate = 29.7%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pistachio

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So according to this year's US News and World Report book on all of the med schools, NYU has an overall acceptance rate of 29.7%. I don't see how this could possibly be true...but I can't find anywhere on the web a different number. Anyone have confirmation or a different number?

Members don't see this ad.

maybe it's 30% of the ones they interview? usnews isnt really the most trusted source tho. check out the MSAR for more specific numbers

radioh3ad said:
maybe it's 30% of the ones they interview? usnews isnt really the most trusted source tho. check out the MSAR for more specific numbers

US News website rankings say 13.1%.

Members don't see this ad :)
radioh3ad said:

Yeah, unfortunately it's the only resource I have at the moment. But for all of the other schools, the listed rate is the overall acceptance rate...I just know 29& is extraordinarily high for any school.

NYU: 3354 apply, 818 are interviewed.

161 matriculate.

On another note, does anyone know where we can access data pertaining to how many get accepted? MSAR tells you how many matriculate, but that's not the same number as the number of people who get accepted.

crazy_cavalier said:
NYU: 3354 apply, 818 are interviewed.

161 matriculate.

On another note, does anyone know where we can access data pertaining to how many get accepted? MSAR tells you how many matriculate, but that's not the same number as the number of people who get accepted.

The US news site has a full breakdown of applied, interviewed, accepted, enrolled. At NYU, 439 were accepted last year. For most schools they have breakdowns for instate, outstate, women, URMs, etc.

439 of 818 interviewed is freakin amazing i think.

radioh3ad said:
439 of 818 interviewed is freakin amazing i think.

I suppose but a good amount of those are waitlisters who sit in agony all summer sweating it out.... Although that doesn't really change the statistic, i think it makes a diff when you think about it...

i know the overall number of applicants is now actually around 8,000 since nyu joined amcas this past year. i'm not sure how it affects the other numbers though.

even if it was 29% acceptance last year, you can bet this year that the percentage is going WAY down because this is the first year NYU is joining AMCAS, which means large increase in the applicant pool.

It could be so high because applicants who were accepted to NYU may have been very strong applicants and chose another school, causing NYU to keep accepting applicants.