NYU assurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds2b219

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation. I have an acceptance at NYU. A high wait list # at a significantly cheaper school, and a silent waitlist/rejection at my state school. Out of all the interviews I've gone on, I really loved NYU and can see myself being a good fit at that school (summer research program, big class size, lots to get involved in.. etc) I've spent the last 3 years since undergrad completing a masters, doing well on my DAT and applying and now I'm faced with reading the constant "NYU is not worth the debt". I really cannot even imagine taking another year to apply again. Can someone please tell me it is worth it? That some of you NYU alum don't have problems paying off your debt? Its terrifying to think about taking out that amount of loans on top of my graduate loans and the thought of this whole situation makes me terrified to go to school next year.... But if you couldn't pay back the loans NYU wouldn't have 360 people a year signing up... right?

Members don't see this ad.

If NYU is your cheapest or only option, then go! Just be smart about it, only take out necessary loans, live frugally. If military's your lifestyle, do that. If not, there's a lot of good loan repayment options. It's definitely doable if you're willing

Reactions: 1 user
unless you plan on working in manhattan, you can expect to earn a decent living in other states. nyu is a great school, and while it's tough, i'm having a great time here.

and if debt really scares you that much, look into the military option. a few of my classmates that i know personally are doing it and they don't have any financial burden to worry about. and apparently they get paid every month too..ugh i wish i could've done that :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys! Makes me feel better! Haha

Got to spend money to make money. You spent a lot of money, time, and effort to get to the point of getting into a dental school. If you don't go, can you really cash in on your credentials earned to date the way you can once you graduate. I don't think the default rate on dental school loans is very high, suggesting that dentists find a way to pay that back.